Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 09:45   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connemara View Post
Do we know the home port of the skipper?
Connemara
Quite possibly St. Catharines (his home), Ontario, Canada.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:58   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Agreed, avoid highly risky countries or cities if you have that choice.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:02   #18

Boat: Boatless
David, I am not sure your statement is true in the Western Caribbean. We were in Club Nautico in Cartegena in October; of the 40 boats on the dock 3 had been robbed at gunpoint.

I know 100's sailors in Miami, there are 200 boats in my sailing club alone and I do not know of one that has been robbed at gunpoint!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
Old 04-12-2010, 12:03   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Milan Egrmajer's 24-year-old daughter, Myda, survived Thursday's attack. Evidently, Myda used a flare gun to scare off the assailants, then remained on the sailboat for several hours until people (Australians) on another boat arrived to help her.
She’s on her way to Belize.

Old 04-12-2010, 13:42   #20

Angry Thanks for that SV Adena link

That sailor has some great photos and video of his cruising adventures. He has great shots of Rio Dulce too. What a shame. Glad his daughter got out of there alive. I noticed that some guy from Honduras left a message on the newspaper web site saying that Honduras has become very dangerous. He said Guatemala and Costa Rica are safer. I have spent a lot of time in both those countries and they are past my comfort level. Last time I was in downtown San Jose, Costa Rica I almost got mugged by two guys but fortunately, a Tico warned me just in time as they were making their move to jump me.
Old 04-12-2010, 14:02   #21

Boat: PETERSON 44
to level the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulfborealis View Post
That sailor has some great photos and video of his cruising adventures. He has great shots of Rio Dulce too. What a shame. Glad his daughter got out of there alive. I noticed that some guy from Honduras left a message on the newspaper web site saying that Honduras has become very dangerous. He said Guatemala and Costa Rica are safer. I have spent a lot of time in both those countries and they are past my comfort level. Last time I was in downtown San Jose, Costa Rica I almost got mugged by two guys but fortunately, a Tico warned me just in time as they were making their move to jump me.
I got jumped in the USA nations capitol not robbed just 3 guys who wanted to beat on someone. 4 times in usa Ive had guns pointed at me 3 times by police or Secret service. Not going into them all but my appreciation to the officers that chose not to shoot me. Once walking a dog in ft lauderdale. Dog is swimming with a retractable leash I have the barrel and trigger release gripped like a hand gun against my stomach. I spin around as multiple cars and officers with hand guns scream at me. It could happen any where stillI think **** its sad and my tears are for the family.
Old 04-12-2010, 14:53   #22

Boat: "Julia Dream" 32ft Columbia
I think just stay away from uncivalised countries no matter how nice the cruising is..
Old 04-12-2010, 15:14   #23

Boat: grampian 26
No matter how beautiful paradise is there will always be snakes in the grass.
Old 04-12-2010, 16:05   #24

From his website it looks like he got to see some beautiful spots in his journey. I've been to few of them myself. Sad that his sailing days came to such a tragic end so soon.
Old 04-12-2010, 16:23   #25

Boat: s/v PAMALO
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizorian View Post
I think just stay away from uncivalised countries no matter how nice the cruising is..
Well said. If the safe factor is too heavy for some people... just stay away. Avoid it like you avoid a bad neighborhood in Detroit or Gary Indiana.
Old 04-12-2010, 18:50   #26

Boat: SeaPearl 21 - Thurston
We learned about this incident the following afternoon when we were at the Port Captain's office in Puerto Cortes. He was pretty disturbed about it and gave us some warnings. He encouraged anchoring where there are other boats present and not trying to resist if you are boarded. He was of the opinion the crime was perpetrated by fishermen out of Tela. When the daughter called the weather was too bad for the officials to enter the lagoon, but by the time we talked to him the Navy/Police were there investigating and he was convinced the men would be caught. I think he believed what he was saying, for whatever that's worth.

Pretty scary stuff, last month we were anchored there too.
Old 04-12-2010, 19:48   #27

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizorian View Post
From what I read in my daily news scans, the number of uncivilized countries seems to be increasing daily. I can't think of a single country where the economy is doing ok, and the people aren't starting to crumble under the pressure. The first world nations are still pretty good bit the 2nd and 2rd world is starting to come unraveled.

Sabre
Old 04-12-2010, 20:01   #28

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
I wonder what it is about tropical climates that seem to bring out the criminals... I mean you don't hear about hijackings and murders on yachts in Norway, Canada, Japan... but look at Indonesia, Somilia, Venezula, Honduras... draw a line... this incident is very sad indeed... not that rich of a boat either... poor daughter...
Old 04-12-2010, 20:56   #29
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
My friends boat was boarded while and his wife were asleep aboard in Baltimore.
The thieves got away with wallets, creditcards, purses
At one of the "premier marinas". Crime there has been on the upswing Flat screen TVs, and electronics.

In boatyards the big theft item are swim ladders.....for the scrap value
One yard that I went to, had ten stolen on Thanksgiving Day
Old 05-12-2010, 00:44   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Here is a fuller report with more details out of my hometown paper.
Closed Thread