Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 18:29   #46

Boat: PETERSON 44
Plus agree
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 13:30   #47

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
Re: Boat Abandoned en route to Bermuda Washes up on M.V.

I heart Pearson's. I took ASA on a Pearson 32. First boat I viewed that I really loved and dreamed of owning was a 424. Alas I have a sea trial on a different boat this weekend but I still love the Pearson's. I hope the owner is reunited with his boat. Things happen. It drives home the lesson for me...a novice...to trust my boat. My boyfriend always says, "Never step any direction but UP into your liferaft."
DiverChick71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 07:09   #48

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

The boat was set adrift, and its name is "Running Free?" LOL
Old 26-07-2013, 08:42   #49

It certainly be worth it to keep an eye out for other boats whose owners decided it was time to leave. Got me thinking though. I was trying to figure out what rate I would charge the insurance company for salvage towing if I ever came upon an abandoned boat. $10 per mile, $50 per mile? I'd want it to be expensive enough so they would send soon have their own tow boat head out to meet me so I would not have to tow it for long or that far. But, still I'd add to the cruising kitty. As the fellow who came upon the abandon Swann found out the lure of the big payoff ($45,000) is not always that easy. But, towing and/or baby sitting an abandoned boat for a limited time might be lucrative enough.
Old 26-07-2013, 09:08   #50

Boat: Ed Hostman Tristar 38 Trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
The boat was set adrift, and its name is "Running Free?" LOL
ROFL, yea, time for a new name... Beach Babe maybe?

I think the most important part of this thread is the question of whether to scuttle or not when abandoning. I know most boats survive but what would the captain do if another boat slammed into it one night and killed a number, or all of their crew? What does maritime law stand with abandoned vessels and the navigation risks they present?
CapnBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 09:29   #51

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
It's not a matter of PC anything. It's a matter of obnoxious self righteousness. Constructive, enlightened criticism is required for all learning to take place. Negative destructive critiques of the sort you offer are too "general", and too condemning to be of much help, or interest. What's to be learned? That's the point! Nothing ventured nothing gained. Must we die for our mistakes? It sounds like you may have some valuable lessons to impart. Your generally unkind presentation cancels out the possibility of anyone learning from you. You don't know!!! And niether do I. Lets find out, and continue the adventure. Sorry if my critique is too harsh. We all make mistakes.
Wow... talk about being flamed! Having spent over 50 years at sea commercially, I hesitate to even comment on the wisdom of leaving what appears to be a perfectly seaworthy vessel and risk boarding a tanker at sea. Fortunately, I have only been aboard 2 boats that sank, both times being below when they went down and still managed to survive and continue working aboard other vessels for another 40 years or so. I've personally been of the opinion that staying with the ship as long as she was on the surface was preferable to casting my fortunes on the alternative but it is a personal decision. No idea what the circumstances of the unfortunate sailor was in this case either physical or mental,:whistling but it was obviously his choice and anyone who attempts to substitute their judgement for his is out of line IMO. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 10:27   #52
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Fortunately, I have only been aboard 2 boats that sank,
Wow that is what you consider fortunate? What experiences do you consider unfortunate?
Old 26-07-2013, 10:53   #53

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

3 would have been unfortunate as would not surviving one of them! Cheers, Don, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 10:57   #54

Somewhat related, I saw the salvage of "Triple Stars" on Yachtworld in Bermuda. $75k asking for a newish IP 380 lost at sea for a year but all offers considered. I wondered if folks might be hesitant to purchase a yacht that was involved in a tragedy as this one was? Curious if there is a sailor superstition around that, I know sailors can be a superstitious bunch at times...
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 11:17   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Doubt that there is any insurance on a single handed boat outside of coastal waters delineated in the insurance document. I could not find anyone to insure me for single handed passage sailing. Insurance worked for coastal sailing out to a certain mile limit, IIRC. Beyond that, I was on my own.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 08:24   #56

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)

Funny stuff. I checked this thread to find out the facts about the issue, and what did I find? A discussion forum. Well, what did I expect? I think we all have to realize the reality of this website and take it easier on each other. Just sayin... Go a head - give me hell.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 09:35   #57
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminalcitygrl View Post
Somewhat related, I saw the salvage of "Triple Stars" on Yachtworld in Bermuda. $75k asking for a newish IP 380 lost at sea for a year but all offers considered. I wondered if folks might be hesitant to purchase a yacht that was involved in a tragedy as this one was? Curious if there is a sailor superstition around that, I know sailors can be a superstitious bunch at times...
I think a smart buyer might realize that it was actually quite a seaworthy boat, surviving for a year at sea. Might need a lot of fix-up work, but if the basic structure is sound that might be quite a boat!

In that case, this would be a first class example of superstition shooting one in the foot.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 19:09   #58

Boat: contessa 32

I just read an interview with the man who abandoned this vessel in Soundings magazine.
He admits that he had NO experience and was very poorly equipped,not even an EPIRB ,and only got his weather by calling passing freighters on his VHF while attempting a trans Atlantic crossing. Nor was he without financial resources.
When asked why he would even attempt to go to sea using this approach with his very first boat ,he replied: " I read too many books and figured if Slocum could do it with what he had ,I could too"
Well what Slocum had was a life time of experience and reader of his book must have skipped the first page where Slocum states that he" has studied the sea like no other man neglecting all else".
Another dream shattered on the shoals of "just go for it" without considering the magnitude of the undertaking.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 22:18   #59

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I think a smart buyer might realize that it was actually quite a seaworthy boat, surviving for a year at sea. Might need a lot of fix-up work, but if the basic structure is sound that might be quite a boat!

In that case, this would be a first class example of superstition shooting one in the foot.
But there are people that will use any excuse to say..."Oh...we're still looking and never buy...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:14   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
I just read an interview with the man who abandoned this vessel in Soundings magazine.
He admits that he had NO experience and was very poorly equipped,not even an EPIRB ,and only got his weather by calling passing freighters on his VHF while attempting a trans Atlantic crossing. Nor was he without financial resources.
When asked why he would even attempt to go to sea using this approach with his very first boat ,he replied: " I read too many books and figured if Slocum could do it with what he had ,I could too"
Well what Slocum had was a life time of experience and reader of his book must have skipped the first page where Slocum states that he" has studied the sea like no other man neglecting all else".
Another dream shattered on the shoals of "just go for it" without considering the magnitude of the undertaking.
If there is one thing I've learned over the years...it's to take all those adventure and sailing books with a huge grain of salt...boat building, parachute anchors, drogues, heaving to etc etc... you just have to figure out your own. Most boats used today wont even heave to in real storm conditions.... even though they do so great in coastal seas. The values in those books is just the fact that they make you "think".

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda, route, bermuda