Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 13:24   #31

Boat: Owens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
now - back to boats that sail themselves across the open sea single handing, missing all the shoals and other boats, in order to find a nice soft beach in a high rent location. Probably wasn't even using charts or the autopilot.
That boat just made my short list

Craig
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 13:29   #32

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Boat Abandoned en route to Bermuda Washes up on M.V.

I'm no sleuth.

Someone find out the abandonment circumstances.
Old 09-07-2013, 22:44   #33

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

Raku-I was not suggesting that he is a cheat. Most folks simply don't realize that when a car or boat is totaled and the insurance company pays off, the company owns the car or boat. If the boat has any value, and the insurance company is made aware, they will want either the boat or the equivalent value to offset their loss on the payoff.
JayCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 23:09   #34
cruiser

Raku- I was not suggesting the guy is an idiot. I was saying that since the proliferation of the cell phone and people calling 911 emergency in the USA for just about anything including messed up McDonalds orders, we now have an increasing number of individuals out there doing dumbass things and expecting others to get them out of the messes they put themselves into. General statement and observation not directed at anyone.

However, one of the newspaper articles related to this particular story read, by the boat owners own admission that he was a novice sailor setting out for Europe all alone.... you can draw your own conclusions.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:18   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCall View Post
Raku-I was not suggesting that he is a cheat. Most folks simply don't realize that when a car or boat is totaled and the insurance company pays off, the company owns the car or boat. If the boat has any value, and the insurance company is made aware, they will want either the boat or the equivalent value to offset their loss on the payoff.
I believe that boat is Salvage, first some first serve, whether the Ins Co owned it for a time or not... right?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:22   #36
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCall View Post

You really think so? Based on what? I really think that every honest person with insurance knows that if their stolen car turns up they have to call the insurance company and let them know. It would be no different with the boat.

As for the other comment about sleuthing, we'll never know the full circumstances of what led to this event.

Let the assumptions begin!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:32   #37
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Raku- I was not suggesting the guy is an idiot. I was saying that since the proliferation of the cell phone and people calling 911 emergency in the USA for just about anything including messed up McDonalds orders, we now have an increasing number of individuals out there doing dumbass things and expecting others to get them out of the messes they put themselves into. General statement and observation not directed at anyone.

However, one of the newspaper articles related to this particular story read, by the boat owners own admission that he was a novice sailor setting out for Europe all alone.... you can draw your own conclusions.

But having been there more recently than just about everyone else here -- he might not have realized he was a novice until he was up to his neck in alligators and no chickens to distract them.

I'm not coninced that we have tons of people out there assuming that someone will rescue them. I live in an area where the great majority of sailors aren't world cruisers and don't have the truly vast experience of many people here, and yet i just don't hear these calls on my radio. Most sailors here have Boat US, as they should, and there's no shame in calling them. There's no shame in being a beginner. There's no shame in stretching yourself only to see something snap. If you don't stretch yourself, you'll stay static.

I only heard one clueless call, some years ago, a guy who wanted the Coast Guard to guide him to the south entrance to the channel that runs along the Skyway Bridge because his charplotter had gone out. He stands out not because it is common but because it was so unusual (and hilarious!)

If one is a highly accomplished and skilled sailor, one must accept the fact that not everyone out there knows everhthing you know. That's how it is, and yet I know a couple of truly expert sailors who have made significant mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes. Sometimes you're lucky and they're not disastrous. Sometimes you just don't know what you don't know until you get out there and things are more difficult than you expected, or unexpected things start to go wrong.

But there's only one way for a person to become that person with vast experience, and that's to get out there and sail.

Do you have children? Have you had that experience yet where your CHILD has just gotten her driver's license and is driving out of the driveway for the first time by herself, and there's nothing you can do to protect her, either from herself or all the idiots out there? At some place the bird has to fly free. Sometimes the bird will soar like an eagle, and sometimes it will crash land in the trees lucky to not have a broken wing.

It's so easy to call someone else an idiot, and much harder to make room on the planet for everyone.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:33   #38
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I believe that boat is Salvage, first some first serve, whether the Ins Co owned it for a time or not... right?

if you have no morals, sure. But since the authorities have been contacted, and the owner has been contacted, and he's on his way to rescue his boat, I think that would be pretty disgusting.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:00   #39
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Nope.

On the downside for the insurance company is that they would be responsible to get the boat off the beach, that is if they weren't clever enough to leave ownership with the owner as part of the settlement - just in case this happened!, therefore it is possible that even after a full insurance payout it is still his boat (no idea - never had a total loss for a boat ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:23   #40

Boat: Westsail 32

Just wanted to lend my voice of support for Bill. He is a really nice guy and one tough cookie! I met him before he took off on his boat from Florida to run I think the London Marathon. Bill is a 100 mile a week runner and he runs ultra marathons and anybody who has gutted through at least 26 miles can verify that you are made of some pretty courageous stuff. He spent a lot of time getting his boat ready and I assured him that the 365 was a good choice. So remember that there are always 2 sides to every story and I would suggest being careful about what you say before you hear the other side.
Eyeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:31   #41

Boat: Catalina 34

I make no judgements about the sailor, but I think this does say something for the Pearson 365.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:40   #42
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHannabel View Post
I make no judgements about the sailor, but I think this does say something for the Pearson 365.

I bet lots of people here could have handled that boat through just about anything. He said he was a novice. He bit off way more than he could chew, but then I don't expect three year olds to be able to use an encycloedia. That doesn't mean they won't pull one off the shelf and try.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:10   #43

Boat: Catalina 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I bet lots of people here could have handled that boat through just about anything. He said he was a novice. He bit off way more than he could chew, but then I don't expect three year olds to be able to use an encycloedia. That doesn't mean they won't pull one off the shelf and try.
I was merely commenting that the P365 must be a fairly seaworthy vessel if she can survive being abandoned in the Atlantic for over a month all on her own.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:29   #44
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHannabel View Post
I was merely commenting that the P365 must be a fairly seaworthy vessel if she can survive being abandoned in the Atlantic for over a month all on her own.
Oh. I misunderstood you.

I noticed in the picture that the headsail was out. Maybe it worked itself free. I don't recall about the mainsail, and my feed is far too random right not to try to go back and look.
Old 10-07-2013, 18:24   #45

I try not to "copy" long posts and take up space and bandwidth, but this one is VERY good.

Thanks for this one. .

The first time my daughter was out driving, she rear ended another car coming off an exit on a freeway/parkway.

It was her mom's car. We had already divorced, so not my car!

When my daughter called and told me about it, she probably expected me to give her grief about the accident.

I said: "Glad you got it over with so soon!"

She was confused for a second, then laughed.

My son, a tad younger, OTOH, took a few years to mash his car.

Well, it was his car, since we gave it to him.

Takes all kinds. Glad both the skipper and, perhaps, the boat, are both OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
But having been there more recently than just about everyone else here -- he might not have realized he was a novice until he was up to his neck in alligators and no chickens to distract them.

I'm not coninced that we have tons of people out there assuming that someone will rescue them. I live in an area where the great majority of sailors aren't world cruisers and don't have the truly vast experience of many people here, and yet i just don't hear these calls on my radio. Most sailors here have Boat US, as they should, and there's no shame in calling them. There's no shame in being a beginner. There's no shame in stretching yourself only to see something snap. If you don't stretch yourself, you'll stay static.

I only heard one clueless call, some years ago, a guy who wanted the Coast Guard to guide him to the south entrance to the channel that runs along the Skyway Bridge because his charplotter had gone out. He stands out not because it is common but because it was so unusual (and hilarious!)

If one is a highly accomplished and skilled sailor, one must accept the fact that not everyone out there knows everhthing you know. That's how it is, and yet I know a couple of truly expert sailors who have made significant mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes. Sometimes you're lucky and they're not disastrous. Sometimes you just don't know what you don't know until you get out there and things are more difficult than you expected, or unexpected things start to go wrong.

But there's only one way for a person to become that person with vast experience, and that's to get out there and sail.

Do you have children? Have you had that experience yet where your CHILD has just gotten her driver's license and is driving out of the driveway for the first time by herself, and there's nothing you can do to protect her, either from herself or all the idiots out there? At some place the bird has to fly free. Sometimes the bird will soar like an eagle, and sometimes it will crash land in the trees lucky to not have a broken wing.

It's so easy to call someone else an idiot, and much harder to make room on the planet for everyone.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda, route, bermuda