Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2019, 21:00   #1

Boat: Intex Seahawk 2 person 9 foot boat, Watersnake trolling motor
Mobile Boating Expirement! Thailand.

Hi guys some of you may remember my inflatable boating thread i posted when i first joined the forum. Now here's a new idea with new requirements. .... I moved to Thailand am living a mobile lifestyle but still want to enjoy boating!!!

Heres the inflatable boat thread from awhile ago:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ed-202007.html

So heres my new life... next idea... i decided to downsize my inflatable boat to fit inside of a suitcase but have not actually purchased one yet, im waiting for input..

The marine pro inflatable boat and the 12 foot long inflatable paddle board were both sold when i left New York City because i deemed them a bit too heavy or big to fit inside of a suitcase...I also gave the Suzuki gas powered outboard to a relative for safe keeping since it was also too large to fit inside of a suitcase.

However the good news is that the Watersnake electric trolling motor did make the trip with me across the world inside of a suitcase (weight is 7 lbs so that was more than small enough and the length is about 32 in). i also brought a charger and battery the battery weighs 7 lbs and the charger is about 1 lb. the battery is 12AMPH so not so long in terms of its usage so i may add another battery.

Luggage Weight Size Requirement...
Note on the weight and size requirements...most airlines will require a suitcase to be less than 62 linear inches so thats length plus width plus height. So for example my Delsey case is 12" by 19" by 29". that also leaves a diagonal space of about 33 inches. If a bag is oversized most airlines charge some pretty steap prices for flights especially for intercontinental flights. Weight for bag weight the weight of a single bag must be below 50 usa lbs on most airlines, i got away with one that was 54 lbs without being charged on EVA air. So basically the weight and size requirement for the boat is that it must fit inside of those dimensions and the weight of course must be below lets say 40 lbs since most suitcases weigh 10 lbs empty. Even though i could purchase an additional suitcase to fit just the inflatable boat with a weight of 40 lbs this would be costly to move it between one country and another. One final note, i currently have two large suitcases plus a bicycle bag plus a laptop case, i could add another jumbo suitcase to my collection but of course this would be an extra expense.

I was thinking of purchasing the Intex Seahawk 2 since its a 2 person raft that holds two people and weighs about 16 to 18 lbs. It also accepts the trolling motor. I am not sure if that is also including the paddles and im honestly not sure if the paddles disassembled would be short enough to fit inside my suitcase. The pump also weighs something but i am not sure if that is included in the 18 lbs weight listed above. of course the pump and the motor mount would take up space inside the bag as well.

Motor mount.. i decided to dispose of the Intex motor mount because it just seemed too heavy given its function with a small trolling motor, so will more than likely construct one out of wood in Thailand thats more lightweight.

Other equipment... life jacket, brought this with me, oars/paddles should be included in the boat, battery holder, brought this with me... anchor bag, also brought this with me... dry bag, brought this with me as well.

Any other options besides the Intex? Advice appreciated. Fishing pole holders, a motor mount, and ability to hold two to three people, plus durability is a plus. Thanks.

Note the gas engine in the photo isnt part of the plan, airlines dont allow, no matter how small.

ShipOfFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 21:33   #2

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II
Re: Mobile Boating Expirement! Thailand.

I think the capability to also sail should be a desired requirement. There is nothing more nautical than a sailing dinghy.
Just make sure it has the least bit of teak trim.
Every boater is inherently into S&M.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 22:04   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Nah pick up a local longtail

https://www.newsflare.com/video/2857...modified-craft
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2019, 22:24   #4

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

Why would you put an inflatable boat into a suitcase? Why not simply buy one when you arrive, and leave it there when you depart? Then you are not restricted to airline approved sizes. Same goes for the motor. It would also make your travel a lot easier.

Another option would be to cut down a few trees and make a raft out of them, then you could add a sail, and no worries when you depart, just set it adrift or you could light it on fire and let it go back to nature.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 03:28   #5

My mistake for not making the trip entirely clear, im actually not MOVING to Thailand im only VISITING for 90 days after that ill be moving to VIETNAM, then the Philippines, then AUSTRAILIA, you guessed im just going to be living with suitcases thus why i have a boat inside of a suitcase. haha ill put this up above also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugzyCan View Post
Why would you put an inflatable boat into a suitcase? Why not simply buy one when you arrive, and leave it there when you depart? Then you are not restricted to airline approved sizes. Same goes for the motor. It would also make your travel a lot easier.

Another option would be to cut down a few trees and make a raft out of them, then you could add a sail, and no worries when you depart, just set it adrift or you could light it on fire and let it go back to nature.
Old 29-12-2019, 08:35   #6

I have been living in Thailand for 18 years now but sold my boat 12 years ago. Point being I know Th and boating here. You might have some problems with customs incoming but probably not much, they see some weird farengs. Recommend you take a look at Lazada.com and aliexpress.com for boating things, including inflatables as well as paddles, etc. Some good prices and good delivery. Here on Phuket there is much in way of boating things, both touristy and commercial fishing. Some good lake and rivers for paddling and even a bit of rough river waters if you care for such. And then there is the mighty Mekong River. Chock dee.
leonsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 16:07   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonsk View Post
I have been living in Thailand for 18 years now but sold my boat 12 years ago. Point being I know Th and boating here. You might have some problems with customs incoming but probably not much, they see some weird farengs. Recommend you take a look at Lazada.com and aliexpress.com for boating things, including inflatables as well as paddles, etc. Some good prices and good delivery. Here on Phuket there is much in way of boating things, both touristy and commercial fishing. Some good lake and rivers for paddling and even a bit of rough river waters if you care for such. And then there is the mighty Mekong River. Chock dee.
Thanks for the advice. right now im in Jomtien Beach and about 75 feet from the sand and 125 feet from the water so definitely close.
Old 29-12-2019, 19:21   #8
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

make sure the rubber doesn't rip
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 22:44   #9

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Some of us travel WITH and IN our boats. Try that. Lol. That's what boats are made for.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 01:02   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Some of us travel WITH and IN our boats. Try that. Lol. That's what boats are made for.
I wish i could with my budget i could probably afford to buy a 14 foot rowboat but keep in mind im going intercontinental so i wouldnt be able to move it unless i wanted to end up like like that North Korean ghost ship. lol
Old 30-12-2019, 14:44   #11

How about bringing a hand saw, a gallon of epoxy and some fiberglass tape in your suitcase. There are plenty of videos on how to make a dingy out of two sheets of plywood. If you don't care how the first one looks, just whip one together. You'll get better on the next ones. If you're life expectancy (hopefully for the boat) is only 90 days, a quick brush of epoxy over the surface should do it.

This may sound sarcastic, but you seem to be an out of the box thinker... so I do believe whipping one together is doable. Just ignore all the over reinforcement and fussing that everyone does and go for function.

Channel your inner Matt Rutherford who got a free 8.2-m-long (27-ft) Albin Vega sailboat which he outfitted by dumpster diving and went on to become the first person to solo circumnavigate the Americas via the Northwest Passage in 2011.

It was all "function" until it didn't, and he still went on to complete the voyage. There are several videos about his trip. His story is about resilience and the ability of loosely assembled boat parts to flex and leak there way to a destination.

Throw in a third sheet of plywood and you can have a cabin to sleep in. It will be tight, so tie those suitcases to some poles and use them as outriggers.

Good luck! Be sure to send pictures.
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 04:03   #12

Here you are.. this isnt really related to my use case for my own but but this is a rental jet ski in Jomtien near Pattaya Thailand. Ive always liked jet skis but of course its a high price to rent by the hour...thats me on top...

Old 16-01-2020, 03:15   #13

Got the inflatable boat Intex Sea eagle 2 off a site called Lazada in Thailand its cash on delivery so thats some peace of mind meaning you dont pay unless you receive it, and the price was a decent $60 USD or about 2000 thai bhat... quite an incredible value for the boat quality. The weight of the box is 17 lbs and the volume is 7 in by 16 in by 22 or about 2400 cu inches, which is about 1/3 of 1 of my jumbo suitcases. its rated to hold 2 people and 520 lbs with gear, will test soon.

Here a pic...
Old 16-01-2020, 17:14   #14

I've enjoyed following your dream. I is unique enough, I've got to ask you to do progress posts. I really want to know how this works out for you and what you end up doing with your suitcase boat.

I've heard of pocket cruisers.... maybe that will be your next project....
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2020, 06:43   #15

Hey guys heres the boat in the box experiment.... the Intex boat is more of a 1 person boat or for example a 1 person and 1 child boat.. the previous boats i had were 2 persons even though they were listed as 4, this one is listed as a 2. This is 93 inches long whereas my last was 115" width is 45 versus 50.

Tags
boat, boating, men, mob, Thailand