Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2019, 14:26   #1

Boat: 1995 hunter 430
Bahamas Navionics track issue

we are in the Bahamas and we added Navionics to a Samsung Galaxy S2 as a back up to our Raymarine and Explorer Charts.....
We are having difficulty with the track on the tablet....it cuts off corners and goes over land....then it may work again??

The Galaxy S2 is new....I am not sure what to do...
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 17:37   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Bahamas Navionics track issue

Download AquaMap and then purchase the Explorer charts.
I have a Navionics chip in my plotter, it’s just about worthless here in the Bahamas, I can’t imagine it gets any better on a phone.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 17:46   #3

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

just looked into it and there are 2 to choose from
AquaMap Marine
AquaMap USA Marine

I am assuming its the AquaMap Marine??
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 17:50   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navicula View Post
we are in the Bahamas and we added Navionics to a Samsung Galaxy S2 as a back up to our Raymarine and Explorer Charts.....
We are having difficulty with the track on the tablet....it cuts off corners and goes over land....then it may work again??

The Galaxy S2 is new....I am not sure what to do...
That's Navionics in the Bahamas. Do a search, lots of info.
Old 29-01-2019, 09:35   #5

Boat: Boatless

Put down the phone and look up.

Not trying to be snarky but know the Bahamas are best enjoyed by eye. Sounds like you have plenty of digital support.

It is amazing crossing to Chub or cruising down the Exumas how many are precisely on “the magenta line.”

Short of that toss the Samsung and grab an apple :-)

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 09:49   #6

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

AKPRB just beat me to it! Throw the silly thing away and read the water. The Bahamas are all sight navigation. Remember, most of the coral heads are uncharted and if you have your face in the one eyed god instead of watching the water you may get an unwelcomed surprise.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 12:19   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Bahamas Navionics track issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navicula View Post
just looked into it and there are 2 to choose from

AquaMap Marine

AquaMap USA Marine

I am assuming its the AquaMap Marine??

Yes, this one, the one that says open, cause of course it’s what I already have.
I’m very pleased with it, but you have to buy the Explorer charts, $65 and they never expire, less if you let them expire I think. I was looking at something that integrates Active Capt., and this does.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0572.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	184735
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 12:52   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Galaxy S2 is outright OLD.

I would check with Navionics to find out if there are any known issues with that, and if you decide to get other software, again, CHECK WITH THE MAKER to find out about potential problems with the old S2.

I'd suspect it is a software problem and not the phone at fault, but since the phone is taking data points and making calculations, and that requires "horsepower" on the phone...and, since Samsung really screwed up GPS on their older phones (like the Captivate, the US-AT&T Galaxy "1")...

Maybe it is worth trying the software on a newer phone, repeating it side by side, to make sure of which side of things is the real problem.

FWIW, on land or water, whatever the software or hardware has been, I've had GPSes tell me all sorts of fairy tales. I think most everyone who really pays attention to them will tell you the same thing. If there are things you do or don't want to hit? You can't entirely trust the GPS, you have to be piloting as well.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 17:13   #9

Boat: Valiant 40

Just to be clear, you’re not carting the tablet around on land with the app running in the background are you?
Old 29-01-2019, 17:50   #10

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Galaxy S2 is outright OLD.

I would check with Navionics to find out if there are any known issues with that, and if you decide to get other software, again, CHECK WITH THE MAKER to find out about potential problems with the old S2.
It's been my experience that Navionics is not very forthcoming as far as bad mapping goes. I've corresponded with then and got nowhere. They offered to refund me but would not comment on the errors I found on their charts. They told me they had newer charts but would not say whether the errors I noted had been corrected. I saw one of the "newer" charts and they were worse than the one I had. Apparently they had to remove the Explorer Chart data that they had "borrowed".
Old 29-01-2019, 18:08   #11

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

The worst part of the navionics is that it actually loses detail as you zoom in. The data is obviously there so why does the tool fail to display it? I like the sonar charts but for general navigation, the old garmin charts were much much better. Next equipment I buy won't be Garmin.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 22:10   #12

Boat: 1998 Sealine Statesman 42ft - Twin Cummins 6BTA

I have a C120 with the Navionics chip and it works well in the Bahamas. I also use the Navionics App on my phone (Samsung GS-5) as a backup and it also works well.
GeneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 05:53   #13

Check your power saving settings, this can lead to irregular GPS updates and long times between position updates.

Do you have solar panels above where you are using the tablet?

Download a GPS test or status app to the tablet, and see what that shows in the tablets normal position, you may see that you can't see a large number of satellites, which will lead to lower precision. Also, the quality of your fix affects your accuracy of your position.

I'm running the app called GPS Test, and it gives a good 12 - 15 satellites while I am indoors in my house, but I'm near a window with a newer device.

It is worth running this and seeing what you get.
Phil
philtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 05:58   #14

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

If it's cutting off corners and running the track through land, then most likely you're losing GPS lock. When it picks up the GPS signal again, it simply draws a line from the last known location to your current location. On an older device like yours, I'm sure it happens all the time.

And like others have said, there's nothing as good as your eyeballs in the Bahamas.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2019, 06:02   #15

OK,

Just as an update to my previous post.

I have a GalaxyTabS2 8 inch with cellular as well as my phone, which is a Samsung Galaxy S9+.

Running the same app, I get 5 satellites on my phone, and 2 on the Tab S2, but these disappear regularly.

It might be worth getting a good bluetooth GPS, or just seeing if you can borrow one, which would make the quality of your GPS fix alot better.

(Maybe have a look at the Garmin GLO)

HTH,
Phil
philtrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, navionics