Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2019, 07:40   #1

Boat: Tayana FD-12
7/16" chain what size snubber hook?

Trying to add a snubber for my anchoring system.

I bought 1/2" stainless chain hook and it turns out it did not fit my primary chain. I have 60lbs CQR with 7/16" chain. I cant tell if chain is BBB OR HT, but its galvanized.

I'd like to buy a 5/8" hook but before i do, i figured if anyone knows for sure what size hook to use for 7/16" chain.

BTW I have 4 surveys on this damn boat since 2007 form my purchase and from previous owners and each one says primary 60lbs CQR and 3/8" chain. And i measured the chain diameter at 7/16".

I also have a 55lbs claw with 3/8" chain and 1/2" hook fits pretty good. So at least its not a waste.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:52   #2

Re: 7/16" chain what size snubber hook?

Dont just measure the chain diameter. Measure the width and height and compare against this chart.

Very Important Link dimensions:

https://www.1st-chainsupply.com/chai...lass_chain.htm
anthem00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:30   #3

Indeed, thanks, it takes a bit more effort than i originally intended to put in. I underestimate that this thing helps keep the boat in place so you can get a good night sleep. Thats exactly what happened on our first night at anchor. Ideal windlass kept letting a foot or two of chain each time wind gust swung the boat. I am surprised how much this boat dances at anchor.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:17   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorvati View Post
... Ideal windlass kept letting a foot or two of chain each time wind gust swung the boat ...
I suspect you wrote in jest, but ...
A windlass should never be used to hold the boat. That's what cleats & chain stoppers are for. Always belay the anchor rode to a cleat, samson post, or chain stopper to isolate the load from the windlass.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:34   #5

Quote:
Indeed, thanks, it takes a bit more effort than i originally intended to put in. I underestimate that this thing helps keep the boat in place so you can get a good night sleep. Thats exactly what happened on our first night at anchor. Ideal windlass kept letting a foot or two of chain each time wind gust swung the boat. I am surprised how much this boat dances at anchor.
We will assume that you did not attach a snubber to take up the load on your chain rode because your hook was undersized and that is the reason the load your boat imposed while at anchor is what stressed your windlass and caused its clutch to run and dispense additional chain when a gust occurred.

As Gord stated, never place your windlass under the direct load of anchoring, always take the load up with the use of a snubber secured on the rode to transfer the load directly to a secure hardpoint on your boat and let slack be played out as a loop formed with your chain rode. When pulling your anchor free from the bottom and when backing down to bury your anchor you can use the chain stopper to avoid putting harsh loads onto the windlass. The windlass is intended to merely raise the anchor and is not intended to take up loads greater than the combined weight of the anchor and the length of rode.

If a chain hook doesn't fit then tie a snubber directly to the chain rode.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:54   #6

1st night, stuff is still in beta testing stage... Yes i am aware you need a snubber, and it is not so easy to attach it to a chain.

Another issue is with this chain, i looked at link diagrams, my problem is that hook is too thick. Nobody lists hook thickness. Hook thickness is what prevents it from grabbing the link. Hook hits adjacent links and cannot grab the chain link.

I guess if i shave the side of the hook on a belt sander i could shave off few thousands and get it to work but the working load would be compromised.
Old 05-06-2019, 13:10   #7

chain hooks fit pretty well. I bet you have 3/8" chain and just think you ahve 7/16 because you arent measuring the way chain is supposedly measured (and every survey you have mentioned shows 3/8) Chain doesnt automagically expand from 3/8 to 7/16

So you probably have a 7/16 chain hook and that wont fit on a 3/8" chain. perhaps you size the chain hook to 3/8 and see if that works on your 3/8" chain.
Old 05-06-2019, 15:26   #8

I like hooks that don't have a tendency to come undone.

One of my favorites being the Mantus.

http://https://www.mantusmarine.com/mantus-chain-hook/
Old 05-06-2019, 16:56   #9

Boat: Outremer 55L

Forget a hard hook and use a line with a rolling hitch or similar to attach to the chain, or use a soft shackle. Several threads on here about both soft options.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 17:16   #10

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Like has been said, you have wrong sizes of chain and hook. When they match they work. But the line with a hitch works as well....
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:51   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSail View Post
Like has been said, you have wrong sizes of chain and hook. When they match they work. But the line with a hitch works as well....
I am aware I have the wrong size chain and hook, i would not be asking questions here if hook worked. The line proposition does not sound good to me. I in order to make it though the link that line will be inadequate. And if i need to haul anchor in an emergency, like bow is pitching 5 feet up and down, taking the knot off and pulling back through the chain does not sound like something I want to be dealing with. Cutting it also creates problems as chain will get jammed at the gipsy/hole.

Defender lists these
https://www.defender.com/product3.js...134&id=1048315

but I don't want to guess if it works or not. Another 150$

Consignment store had few used hooks of various size up to 3/4" I saw. I think I'll cut 3 links off the end of my chain and go to try it out.
Old 06-06-2019, 05:56   #12

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Quote:
I am aware I have the wrong size chain and hook, i would not be asking questions here if hook worked. The line proposition does not sound good to me. I in order to make it though the link that line will be inadequate. And if i need to haul anchor in an emergency, like bow is pitching 5 feet up and down, taking the knot off and pulling back through the chain does not sound like something I want to be dealing with. Cutting it also creates problems as chain will get jammed at the gipsy/hole.

Defender lists these

Consignment store had few used hooks of various size up to 3/4" I saw. I think I'll cut 3 links off the end of my chain and go to try it out.
The line does not go through the whole of the chain it wraps around the chain. It’s actually an extremely strong and useful technique. If you go to Mantis website and look at their anchors numbers you’ll see it and they have a video as well. Good luck
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:03   #13

Quote:

Defender lists these

Why don’t you just measure the chain against that chart and stop guessing. It isn’t even close to each other. You just happen to measure the wrong measurement.

Then you will know exactly what it is. I’m pretty certain it already is since as you mentioned two surveyors have measured it and said the same. The only one measuring it incorrectly is you. Stop guessing and save yourself some heartache and time.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:25   #14

As stated by previous postings, a hitch does not pass through the chain it simply wraps around the chain, or in the instance of a rope rode, around the rope. The same hitches can be used to relieve the strain on halyards or sheets so as be able to open a jammed clutch or to free a line that has overlaid on a winch. All situations that arise from time to time when sailing and reasons to have a line or lines instantly available to perform a hitching to be able to take up the strain on the line.

For anchoring and mooring, I strongly recommend using two lengthy snubbers for redundancy purposes. I generally tie them off to mid or aft cleats so as to provide added length and stretch and so as to be able to align the bow towards the swell and / or to make the boat align asymmetrically to the wind in order to minimize sailing to and fro.

Everyone seems to have their own preference at to hitches, I like the icicle hitch for its tremendous holding strength and it relative ease of releasing under load. http://https://www.boatus.com/magazi...get-a-grip.asp

Everyone should know their hitches so as to be able to ty in the dark and stormy conditions by muscle memory alone, just as one can tie your shoe laces without looking. The chain hooks work well but one should also be ready to deploy a hitched snubber in situations that the primary snubber is likely to fail under the stress of repeated loading.

Tags
size