Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2018, 07:19   #1

Location: I live in Wasaga Beach Ontario, the boat I purchased is in Halifax NS and Im going to bring her back
Boat: 1980 Hughes 38
Tips for sailing up Nova Scotias SW shore

Can anyone provide me with some anchorage/mooring/docking suggestions for me as We prepare to sail our Hughes 38 up the SW shore of Nova Scotia through Port Hawkesbury into the Northumberland straight into the St Lawrence seaway ? I'll be leaving Halifax on or about the 15th of June.
Thank You
Steppin Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 09:06   #2

Boat: Hudson 50
Re: Tips for sailing up Nova Scotias SW shore

Sounds like a great voyage. I have not sailed it myself but the Eastern shore is a long exposed coastline with a few fishing harbors that may provide shelter. Be sure to find a good weather window. When you get to Port Hawkesbury you might want to consider a little detor by going through the locks at St Peters into Bras d'Or Lake a beautiful cruising ground.

The Northumberland straight is also a great cruising ground but very different from Atlantic shore. The tides are much higher and it can be shallow. Charlottetown PEI is a great harbor to stop at along the way.

I'm sure that other more knowledgable sailors will have some detailed advice for you but a cruising guide for NS would be a great investment before you leave Halifax.
Old 28-04-2018, 09:42   #3

Boat: 1980 CheoyLee35
Re: Tips for sailing up Nova Scotias SW shore

I’d recommend Cheryl Barr’s “Complete Cruising Guide to the Down East Circle” as a start. Lots of good info there.
There are many good anchorages along the Eastern Shore of NS. Fog can be an issue in June. If you can find a copy of Mike Cox’s “Cruising the Eastern Shore” you should give it a read as well. If the wind is good, many folks make it a straight overnight run from Halifax to Canso so how many stops you make will depend on your situation and preferences.
The tides aren’t particularly big in the Northumberland Strait but it is shallow so there are not as many anchorages available as it seems. I draw 5’4” and watch carefully in a lot of anchorages. While the tides aren’t big, the current is strong and must be considered when travelling on the Strait. With the shallow water, strong winds against current can make things very unpleasant. Charlottetown is a great stopover on the island.
Shediac in New Brunswick has a couple marinas and limited anchorages depending on draft. It is a summer tourist hotspot with great beaches. There are some marine services available as well. I keep my boat in Bouctouche which is a few hours further north and a lovely place to stop. It is a bit of a run in the channel but very protected, clean, friendly and a quaint town.
Congratulations on your new boat. I think the Hugh’s 38 is a nice looking boat with those S&S lines.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Shoalcove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nova scotia, sail, sailing