My original plan was to be doing the South Pacific
crossing right now, but we all know how sailing plans go. Anyway, I'll be crossing next season, and am looking into making an early jump over to the Marquesas
at the end of the year, and waiting out the cyclone season there. I would be planning an October or November canal
transit, and would begin the crossing in December, putting me in the Marquesas
in January, and leaving me 2 or 3 months to explore those islands before setting off west.
Though the stretch of the South Pacific
to the Marquesas is not affected by tropical systems, I'm wondering if the weather
is particularly unsettled that time of year?
I'm also curious if the Marquesas offers enough in the way of provisioning
, and at what cost? Once we're there, we're stuck until the cyclone season is over...