Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2018, 10:53   #16

Boat: Currently in between
Re: ICW Shoaling Post Hurricane

Good luck to you SB1. Maybe keep an eye on the thread Steady started, link above. It may end up containing a few gems that may help. As you, the missus and Ducky head south please stay safe!
Old 17-09-2018, 11:16   #17

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Good luck to you SB1. Maybe keep an eye on the thread Steady started, link above. It may end up containing a few gems that may help. As you, the missus and Ducky head south please stay safe!
Two years after Sandy there was a lot of shoaling very evident.
Don’t ask how I know. Topsail was our demise of our trip. Landed in a tug prop spin basin, bobbing around like a duckling in a bowl. Seatow would not pull us out the way we went in. Result was a ghost piling in the sand taking out our rudder and causing lots of other damage too Seatow doesn’t no the word accountability.
Your 6-4 , do your diligent research, then go outside at the appropriate location.
Likewise going back in.
Be careful, and watch the skies, and get local knowledge, and that will be scant for underwater dangers....
Old 17-09-2018, 11:23   #18

Regardless of whether it moves it out or deposits more, the channels are going to move. They will be deeper in some spots and shallower in others.
jzaraschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 11:28   #19
CLOD

Boat: none

The thread was just a general "wonder" thing. I went down south 2 years ago within a week after Matthew and last year was going up/down the ICW after Irma.I've touched bottom and backed off 3 times the past 2 years. Got stuck and waited an hour for the tide once. Have never had to have my 6'4" boat towed off. In talking to other cruisers the towing seems to happen to the 5' draft boats because think they can "make it".
Old 17-09-2018, 13:50   #20

Boat: Nonsuch 30

I think a flotilla should work well with boats going in reverse order of their draft and passing messages back after each section. Some O/B-powered runabout needing 18" and then someone at 2', then 3', ... well, you get the idea. Could be fun, but don't forget the tow company memberships.
Old 17-09-2018, 14:02   #21

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Shoaling is always a problem but after Sandy we had more trouble with debris, trees and crap floating in the water. Finally, got outside for a little relief but there was a lot crap outside too.
Old 17-09-2018, 14:26   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

FYI: I have just posted a very lengthy report (made by other knowledgeable ICW cruisers today). It is in the ongoing ICW Status Reports After Hurricanes in 2018 thread here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2723115

I suggest if one is going to be traveling up or down the ICW during the next 30-60 days, subscribe to that thread for more reports etc. Also check Active Captain and Waterway Guide, but the thread may consolidate some reports and observations that may not make it on either of those sites.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 07:12   #23

That was a great update.
Are you planning on any others.
Looking to go down the ICW in early November.
Yes I do look at Active Captain's "comment" section.
You should note the DOCKWA has a section on the website, that is updating the status of marina's that are in the DOCKWA system.
If you ar not familiar; check out Dockwa.com.

Thanks for your efforts to advising as to the status of what is happening on the ICW
jzaraschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 20:14   #24

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The thread was just a general "wonder" thing. I went down south 2 years ago within a week after Matthew and last year was going up/down the ICW after Irma.I've touched bottom and backed off 3 times the past 2 years. Got stuck and waited an hour for the tide once. Have never had to have my 6'4" boat towed off. In talking to other cruisers the towing seems to happen to the 5' draft boats because think they can "make it".
You think its may be caued by first timers listening to the experienced sailors saying go for it your ok, someone has to take one for the team ...
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 05:23   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Saw this update today posted by the Waterway Guide.

USCG Invokes Safety Zone for 70 Miles of ICW
The effects of flooding upriver and overall conditions on portions of the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway (AICW) has prompted the USCG to invoke special regulations for vessels transiting between mile markers 415-345.

Some bridges remain inoperable, water levels have created reduced height allowances for some bridges, and there is increased potential for floating and submerged debris.

You are required to contact the USCG via VHF radio or telephone before entering the area described below. Please read the announcement and adhere to the regulation. Speed limits and other recommendations may be in place and will be enforced.

The Captain of the Port Charleston (COTP) has established a temporary safety zone on all waters of the Waccamaw River along the Intracoastal Waterway (AICW) from Winyah Bay to the Little River Swing Bridge (AICW statute mile marker 415 to 345), all waters of the Sampit River, all waters of the Great Pee Dee River from Winyah Bay northward to Pee Dee Game Management Area, and all waters of the Black River from its junction with the Great Pee Dee northward to U. S. Highway 701 Bridge.

This rule is effective from September 24, 2018, through October 19, 2018, or until waters recede and conditions allow for safe navigation, whichever occurs first.

To seek permission to enter the safety zone, contact the COTP or the COTP’s representative via VHF-FM channel 16, or through Coast Guard Sector Charleston’s Command Center at 843-740-7050.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 05:24   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Also, there is a depression off the coast of NC expected to move onshore in the next few days that won't have any serious winds but will add more rain to the areas that are already flooded.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 06:56   #27

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
"follow the line"

excellent advise if you own a tow company
I heard a tow boat captain use the phrase “GPS assisted grounding”...
Empty Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 08:58   #28
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
I wonder if all this water that's going to be washing down ICW in the next week is going to making shoaling on the ICW better or worst. Are the little run offs going to deposit more muck. Or will the current take out the old.

Wish I wasn't going to be among the first to find out.
I've made it down to Carolina Beach NC and haven't see any extra shoaling from Florence or Michael. So far everything seems just as before 2 years ago. As normal the only boats really having an issue grounding are the power boats and shoal draft sailboats that seem to think everything is OK if they have 6' as they seem to believe that 6' means they are still in the channel.

Tags
hurricane, icw