Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2018, 12:48   #31

Re: Free Pearson commander 26

Hello; I am very (very) interested in purchasing the Pearson Commander (if it is for sale). Alternatively, I'd be glad to take it in trade for my Pearson Ariel. The Ariel is a "sister hull" to the Commander. Both boats were designed by Carl Alberg and built by Pearson. The Ariel has a larger more commodious cabin and a standard 6' cockpit. The Commander has a smaller cabin and 8' cockpit. Ariesl, I know, have been sailed across the ocean; they're "blue water" vessels. Please do be in touch if you're interested in selling the Commander (or trading it for the Ariel). Thanks so much -- Taslawmed

(Picture of my Ariel is attached.)
taslawmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 13:18   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Ticheli View Post
Are there boats ready to sail without first, or soon after acquisition, spending a anywhere from a lot to a hell of a lot of money? Just because I've never heard of one does not mean they don't exist, but I've seen no evidence that they do.

I suspect "free" sailboats generally require more money than the cost of, "ready to sail," boats, but I think the great majority of us dump a great deal of disposable fortune into our boats while convincing ourselves we are making wise financial decisions.

Leo
Leo actually they do exist .
I purchased my islander for 300 USD and lived on her for 8 years sailing almost daily.
I gave it away 2 months ago to a kid that wants to learn to sail and was homeless.
My current and final boat a columbia 29 defender. So far I have put about 1500 into it. She is in sailing / liveaboard condition. So yes they do exist. Just not everywhere.
Old 26-09-2018, 13:26   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
BTW the Commander and Ariel were the same hull I believe. My old boat and my boat now were very similar to these Pearsons. I am sure folks have sailed Ariels across oceans, I just don't know of any offhand. They have a good displacement to length ratio (they have a lot of lead in the keel for that size boat!) But you will not find a more modern boat with a more solid hull than that thick, hand-laid up, hull there.

ARIEL 26 (PEARSON) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

COMMANDER 26 (PEARSON) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
A Pearson Ariel Page
Here is a great writeup .

Tags
pearson