Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2017, 16:29   #16

Boat: PDQ32
Re: Free Pearson commander 26

If you go for the boat I recommend you sign up for a subscription to Good Old Boat magazine where you will find a lot of good info for sailors who prefer to invest their time rather than spending big money on their vessels.
Old 25-06-2017, 16:30   #17

Awesome. I'll check it out regardless. I'm definitely in the "old boat that needs some work" class.
cjbeane01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 16:53   #18

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryv View Post
If you go for the boat I recommend you sign up for a subscription to Good Old Boat magazine where you will find a lot of good info for sailors who prefer to invest their time rather than spending big money on their vessels.
Well said Henry
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 17:24   #19

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

That old Pearson is what I would call a "day-sail'er" . . . Large cockpit with bench seats, not unlike a boat I started out with some 50 years ago. Great for short cruises & overnights too if you get a Boom-tent for her, At least two can sleep in that cockpit on the seats. Just like camping. Maybe you can fabricate a fold-able 'filler' piece to fit between the seats giving you a larger flat area for sleeping on air-mattress's (although storage of it will be your challenge).
This is exactly what we started out with and sailed her for a number of years before I foolishly thought I needed a 'bigger' boat. You can do a hell of a lot of carefree sailing in this type of boat, and if you got it for free, good for you.
If you need any "parts", I'm sure there are a great many people like me who have "stuff" squirreled away somewhere, thinking we just might need it some day . . . but I doubt it. Meanwhile, all it's doing is getting older and gathering dust.
So hoist the mains'l, slip the mooring, cast off for adventure and above all, have fun.

And if you're really handy at DIY, there's no reason you couldn't extend that cabin into the cockpit area and turn her into a small coastal cruiser.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 18:01   #20

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
And if you're really handy at DIY, there's no reason you couldn't extend that cabin into the cockpit area and turn her into a small coastal cruiser.
Yeah there is someone in my harbor that has one like that.. kind of a sliding hard dodger with a port hole. Kinda cool. I'll see if I can get a photo of it if yer interested.
Which Richmond are in? Which coast? Maybe you can find a friend to help you sail her where you need to go. It ain't rocket science.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 18:06   #21

I'm actually a little west of Richmond va. About 2 hrs from the coast.
Old 25-06-2017, 18:14   #22

Lynchburg? Fond memories of that area...In any case, you have some nice gunkholing areas around here don't ya? Been a while since I been there, and I wasn't in a boat then, but are there places up the James River you can keep her and practice around?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 25-06-2017, 18:17   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Lynchburg? Fond memories of that area...In any case, you have some nice gunkholing areas around here don't ya? Been a while since I been there, and I wasn't in a boat then, but are there places up the James River you can keep her and practice around?

No Powhatan actually. I am familiar with Lynchburg though.
Old 25-06-2017, 22:05   #24

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

So far, I've not seen anything about the boat other than the "free" price tag. Nothing about her inventory, whether there are usable sails, if all t he standing rigging is present and usable... all the things that are so often missing or unusable on free boats that appear on various sites.

Answering the above questions will go a long way toward determining if the boat can be used without the investment of considerable cash.

And the idea of "converting" her to being a "blue water cruiser" is simply silly.The whole design is oriented toward a day sailor... and a quite nice one. But IMO is is ALWAYS more expensive to make such major changes in a boat than to simply replace it with one more suited to the end use. Someone will likely now say something like "but so and so sailed one across such and such and lived to brag about it". This does not in any way mean that it is a good idea to pursue... an opinion that I believe will be echoed by msot experienced cruiser/sailors.

So, OP, find tha answers to the above questions and report back to us!

Jim
Old 25-06-2017, 22:42   #25

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Thats a perfectly fine first boat, especially if it has a suit of usable sails on her. Does it have an engine? You may want to budget about $1300 or so on an outboard bracket and a small kicker. A big 36v trolling motor with a PWM speed controller and a half dozen golf cart batteries might be all the motor you need. You could even set that little boat up for rowing if you only need to go a short distance to or from your slip or boat ramp. HINT: don't face the stern... stand, one foot forward, and face the bow, and use your body weight for the power stroke. It is easy once you catch on, and yu can see where you are going.
Old 30-11-2017, 12:48   #26
set

Free boats are a great way to learn how to maintain and fix up a boat. You can learn everything about that boat as you get it ready. Yes, it will cost some money but there are ways to keep expenses down especially if you are willing to put in the time to do it yourself.
Our Reinell 22' was free in Nov '00, but it had water in it from hole, needed complete interior redo (so gross) no engine or trailer. Being optimists and diy people, we saw the potential return to be gained so...
we rented a trailer so we could work on it. We learned how to do fiberglass repair, added some ballast, found a sink and alcohol stove to install, replaced headliner and panels, made new cushions, redid some fittings, finished interior with teak strips salvaged from old bar railings. We bought an engine and added charging system, redid the electrical systems. We launched in Aug '01 and have been sailing all around Puget Sound and San Juans for last 16 years. Over time, in addition to maintenance, we have replaced sails, added a water system, replaced some railings, replaced rudder and tillers, new hatch cover and companionway boards. Over time, the money invested has been affordable and manageable. When you are on your own schedule, you can make time and budget work out best for you. It was the only way we could get into a boat at that time and we have loved having easy access to the water.
Try it! You can always get rid of it for free anyway so it's win win.
By "we" I mean mostly my husband but it's been a team effort and it's been great! Now we are looking forward to selling the house and small boat, buying bigger boat and living aboard full time.
Good luck!
PS That boat is not for blue water! Just practice for bigger waters!
set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 15:49   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
So far, I've not seen anything about the boat other than the "free" price tag. Nothing about her inventory, whether there are usable sails, if all t he standing rigging is present and usable... all the things that are so often missing or unusable on free boats that appear on various sites.

Answering the above questions will go a long way toward determining if the boat can be used without the investment of considerable cash.

And the idea of "converting" her to being a "blue water cruiser" is simply silly.The whole design is oriented toward a day sailor... and a quite nice one. But IMO is is ALWAYS more expensive to make such major changes in a boat than to simply replace it with one more suited to the end use. Someone will likely now say something like "but so and so sailed one across such and such and lived to brag about it". This does not in any way mean that it is a good idea to pursue... an opinion that I believe will be echoed by msot experienced cruiser/sailors.

So, OP, find tha answers to the above questions and report back to us!

Jim
I posted the above in June, and we've not heard anything from the OP since then. I wonder what happened? Perhaps he found the answers to my questions and they were not favorable, perhaps the boat was taken by someone else, perhaps he was abducted by space aliens... who knows?

But I wish that folks wouldn't solicit advice, receive the benefit of all the experience here on CF and then simply disappear.

Jim
Old 30-11-2017, 16:05   #28

What? You missed it? National Enquirer had it: “man takes space aliens on rtw tour in great little plastic classic.”
Try to keep up, will ya?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 30-11-2017, 16:12   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
What? You missed it? National Enquirer had it: “man takes space aliens on rtw tour in great little plastic classic.”
Try to keep up, will ya?
Naw, I was too enthralled by the story of Elvis's return from the moon where he had been living since his alleged death... musta just missed that nautical gem.

Jim
Old 26-09-2018, 12:28   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbeane01 View Post
Hello all, I am a new member and this is my first post!

I found this boat listen on Craigslist for free.

A little about myself, I have no experience with sailboats and have never even been on one, but I've become enthralled with the idea of cruising, living aboard, and traveling the world. However that goal is a long way off, and I have a ton to learn in the meantime. For now I would like to know if this boat is worthwhile, or does it look to be a waste of time? I found an article online that said Pearson's were not intended for blue water cruising. Thoughts?

Attachment 150556
Attachment 150557
Hello;

I am looking for a Pearson Commander and, if you still have it, I'd (a) like to buy it, or
(b) take it as a trade (if you're interested) for my Pearson Ariel (same hull as a commander, with larger cabin and 6' cockpit (instead of the commander's 8' cockpit). The boats are, otherwise, identical -- both designed by Carl Alberg built by Pearson. They are "sister hulls" and differ, as just described, only in relation to cockpit and cabin size. Ariels, I know, have been sailed across the ocean. If you're interested, do pleases be in touch: taslawmed@gmail.com; Thank you -- Ted Silver
taslawmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson