Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2019, 06:37   #1

European Propane Connection

Our boat was a European ex-charter. I attached a photo of the propane (what do they use in Europe?) connection.

Does anyone know what it is or what adapter I would need to fit to a US tank?

Do they use propane in Europe? If not are there any other considerations I need to make retrofit wise (stove burners, valves?)?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190324_171115.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	332.5 KB
ID:	188653  
svenskflicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 07:31   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: European Propane Connection

The generic term is LPG, which depending on the place and season may be a mix of butane and propane.

Appliances generally don't care.

You can get or rig up adapter fittings from any to any valve in the world, and regulator pressure is important.

That said, for safety's sake hire an expert, or you need to become one.

Not rocket science but there is a learning curve, and with heavier-than-air explosive gas in an enclosed space you want to be sure.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 07:35   #3
cruiser

I do not know the spec for the Euro valve pictured.

The US-standard DOT "BBQ tank" fitting spec is

QCC1 / Acme Male 1-5/16", aka "CGA 791", also Female POL on the inside, usually also built-in pressure relief, thermal fuse and excess flow device.

Tanks must include an OPD float valve to be legally refilled, and DOT ones have a re-inspection datestamp.
Old 25-03-2019, 07:48   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Here's a good older article by Jack Tyler for adapting North American LPG tanks to UK and European tanks.
Also has some good points/tips about butane mixes/ratios and regulators from the UK/Euro that should be considered when using different systems.

(the article is a summary from Nigel Calder’s The Boatowner’s Mechanical & Electrical Manual, 2nd Edition w/added personal notes updating the info.)

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 18:23   #5

I went through way more effort than I should have with this same problem (EU boat now used in the U.S.). The easiest thing to do in the end is keep the EU regulator and buy the Trident Marine LPG Propane Gas "Camping Gaz" adapter to allow you to connect to a U.S. tank, Defender and others sell them. Then order a 5 lb propane tank online from Home Depot (empty) if you need the smaller tank to fit your propane locker (fit's FP lockers). You have to fill it at a propane fill station, many hardware stores and some gas stations have them. You'll also probably need to change out the orifice in your oven or else it will only work at about 1/3 the temp/speed it normally would.

I searched everywhere and it was impossible to find an adapter that would change the fitting on the gas line that screws into the EU regulator into one that would screw onto a U.S. regulator. Also impossible to find anyone who would fabricate such a fitting or a replacement gas line with those fittings, including the places folks on here said had done so in the past. Seriously wasted a dozen hours on this (because my regulator was also broken so I was hoping to bypass it instead of having to buy a new one from Europe and have it shipped over, which I eventually did). Also note that the "Camping Gaz" tanks used in Europe aren't rated to hold the pressure that U.S. propane is at, so I don't recommend trying to find an adapter to keep using the bottles you have.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 21:00   #6
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckrob View Post
I went through way more effort than I should have with this same problem (EU boat now used in the U.S.). The easiest thing to do in the end is keep the EU regulator and buy the Trident Marine LPG Propane Gas "Camping Gaz" adapter to allow you to connect to a U.S. tank, Defender and others sell them. Then order a 5 lb propane tank online from Home Depot (empty) if you need the smaller tank to fit your propane locker (fit's FP lockers). You have to fill it at a propane fill station, many hardware stores and some gas stations have them. You'll also probably need to change out the orifice in your oven or else it will only work at about 1/3 the temp/speed it normally would.

I searched everywhere and it was impossible to find an adapter that would change the fitting on the gas line that screws into the EU regulator into one that would screw onto a U.S. regulator. Also impossible to find anyone who would fabricate such a fitting or a replacement gas line with those fittings, including the places folks on here said had done so in the past. Seriously wasted a dozen hours on this (because my regulator was also broken so I was hoping to bypass it instead of having to buy a new one from Europe and have it shipped over, which I eventually did). Also note that the "Camping Gaz" tanks used in Europe aren't rated to hold the pressure that U.S. propane is at, so I don't recommend trying to find an adapter to keep using the bottles you have.
+1 - Great advise and what I did.
Old 26-03-2019, 05:04   #7

Quote:

I had already bought this one:

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...76255&id=58932

but I can't see how that could possibly connect to the fitting I showed? Or what am I missing here?

Edit: maybe the fitting I showed a photo of is supposed to screw into a regulator that is missing?
Old 26-03-2019, 15:08   #8
cruiser

Great stuff here, learn new things every day.

And btw for topics like this, a few dozen hours is nothing, teepota!
Old 03-04-2019, 10:59   #9

After a bit of research it seems like I am missing the European gas regulator. I cannot for the life of me find one online. Any ideas where you can get this in the USA?
Old 03-04-2019, 13:16   #10

Boat: Allied 39

This may or may not be helpful to your situation. But we have been filling US tanks off of French bottles for the past 4 years. Recently we put a pdf with pics and instruction on how to transfer on our website. jacarandajourney under “Other Good Stuff”.

Cheers

Chuck
Jacaranda
Old 03-04-2019, 13:32   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskflicka View Post
After a bit of research it seems like I am missing the European gas regulator. I cannot for the life of me find one online. Any ideas where you can get this in the USA?
Get it sent over from a supplier back home
Old 03-04-2019, 19:02   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskflicka View Post
I got mine online from a European supplier, many will ship to the U.S. eBay is also a good source, as well as maybe Amazon. If you're in Fort Lauderdale try Sailorman, they've got a lot of used consignment stuff nearly free coming off refitted boats from Europe and the French islands.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2021, 20:50   #13
rmy

Boat: Moody DS45

Quote:

Need your advice on this one. Did you replace the gas line to the bulkhead with US standard LPG line and regulator and use the adapter from Trident Marine?

I have an EU boat using camping gas. Both the regulator and adapter look like they should be replaced.

TIA
rmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Europe, propane, rope