Have followed all the recent threads on marine
AC but none seemed to focus specifically on which brand so thought I would try to gather all this in one thread. So far I have identified: Dometic, Webasto,Pompanette, MarinAire, Flagship, Mermaid.
Here's what I think I know about each, all based on a 16-16.5 kBTU model.
1. Dometic. The 300 lb gorilla. Bought Marine
Air and Cruisair
. Also makes most of the compressors for marine fridge systems. Find few complaints online. Two models:
- Turbo DTU 16, $2200-$2400
- Envirocool ECD., $1600-$1800
Webasto. The other big company. Also found very few complaints.
- FCF Platinum $1650-$1900
- FCF. The cheaper version? $1350-$1550
Pompanette. Know the name and company but the AC is new to me. Very little information on the net. $2400-$2700
MarinAire. Not to be confused with Marine Air. Made in FL. Some good reviews
Flagship - Small, made in FL company. Some love them, some don't. $2400-
Mermaid. Another small FL company. Reputation as somewhat unsophisticated, industrial kind of construction and not the quietest. $2000-$2200.
- Reluctant to buy from one of the small players like Flagship, Mermaid because ANY warranty or problems you have to ship it back to factory. Not my preference.
- Don't plan to use it but occasionally so don't need to buy a Rolls Royce grade but also want one that will last for a few years. However will pay a little more for a quieter unit.
- Webasto FCF Platinum sounds interesting but I've read that they don't have a port for checking/adding Freon. Is that true on the latest models? Should I care?
Any and all opinions and recommendations welcome.