Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2017, 12:37   #1

Refit in Mexico?

I'm interested in buying a boat in Mexico. It has T.I.P.
How will I get the TIP in my name? (new flag). Do I need to take it offshore?

If I want to get all the new things to the boat without paying taxes. How?
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 14:01   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Refit in Mexico?

From latitude 38 mag
Quote:
. However, if you’re going to leave Mexico and not return with your boat, it’s a good idea to cancel that TIP when you leave for the last time, because the TIP goes with the boat. If you sell the boat, the new owner cannot get a new TIP or legally cruise Mexico until the original TIP is canceled.
Old 27-03-2017, 15:00   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
I'm interested in buying a boat in Mexico. It has T.I.P.
How will I get the TIP in my name? (new flag). Do I need to take it offshore?

If I want to get all the new things to the boat without paying taxes. How?
You will need the old TIP and cancel it if the original owners won't (photocopy will work). Boat doesn't need to move.Then order new TIP online...about $60US and will be at your home address in a week or so.

Good luck not paying tax on parts...we bring stuff in our suitcases but risk having to pay when we land.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 15:12   #4

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

You can take up to $300 worth of parts each trip. Be sure to have receipts. I always paper clipped all the receipts together with a neatly printed list with totals on the top. Done that way I breezed right through almost every time. They do xray your baggage. One time I had a cast iron elbow for a Ford Lehman and they stopped me and wanted to see it. They called over a supervisor who wanted to see the specific receipt. He didn't believe it was only $80 dollars. But I kept saying that it was a Ford not a Yanmar and he finally sent me on my way. While I was redoing my boat down there my friends started calling me Donkey Daryl because Mike the Mule was already taken. If you have to pay duty on it they will hit you for about 30%.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 15:17   #5

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
You will need the old TIP and cancel it if the original owners won't (photocopy will work). Boat doesn't need to move.Then order new TIP online...about $60US and will be at your home address in a week or so.

Good luck not paying tax on parts...we bring stuff in our suitcases but risk having to pay when we land.
$100 now but it's good for 10 years!.
Old 27-03-2017, 15:30   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
You can take up to $300 worth of parts each trip. Be sure to have receipts. I always paper clipped all the receipts together with a neatly printed list with totals on the top. Done that way I breezed right through almost every time. They do xray your baggage. One time I had a cast iron elbow for a Ford Lehman and they stopped me and wanted to see it. They called over a supervisor who wanted to see the specific receipt. He didn't believe it was only $80 dollars. But I kept saying that it was a Ford not a Yanmar and he finally sent me on my way. While I was redoing my boat down there my friends started calling me Donkey Daryl because Mike the Mules was already taken. If you have to pay duty on it they will hit you for about 30%.
OK... I just brought in close to 3K worth of batteries (long sad story for another day) to repair/replace my dead house batteries.

I got the paperwork (Once you have a TIP you go to the Banjercito with a pro forma invoice and get an additional piece of paper ( that is essentially an addendum to your TIP) that allows you to bring in new/used PARTS for your boat. Now the crazy thing is this piece of paper takes about 20 minutes to prepare and costs........ 0 pesos... yup.. Nothing more.

(of course you have to be the owner of the boat, OR A DULY AUTHORIZED AGENT) you do need to have a copy of your passport as well.

Then with this magic piece of paper, you cross a COMMERCIAL port (nope Tijuana does not count.... DO NOT ASK ME HOW I KNOW!... but I can tell you that I was voluntarily deported from Tijuana so as not to pay tax on my batteries....) .. so going to a COMMERCIAL PORT (like Otay Mesa) and immediately being a good citizen and going to the DECLARE line... with your paper... and ... (at first they go nuts.... thinking you are going to be hit with huge taxes.... ) but they are customs guys are nice... and willing to ask their supervisor... and the supervisors know... that NO MONEY IS DUE...

so.. you may stay at the border while everyone ogles and tries to understand why with a huge invoice you pay nothing.. they do let you go on your way.. and.... you have your parts tax free.

I have brought in (with a customs broker) a truck full of stuff for my refit in Ensenada... shames me to say how much it was... but.... NO TAX.

The luxury refit guys bring in TV's, spa's, washer/dryers..... all as accessories... no tax...

I have to compliment the Mexican Government on being so friendly to cruisers in spite of certain well publicized aberrations...

So.. Talk to your friendly customs and Banjercito personnel. They really want to help if you just let them.

(NO BRIBES, this is fully legal, just not well known.)
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 15:31   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
From latitude 38 mag
As to what Paul L said... Get the TIP cancelled. Go offshore in the boat WITH EXIT PAPERS. (from port captain)

Reenter Port with new TIP for NEW ownership.

Simple...

Best of luck.
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 15:46   #8

Boat: J/42

I have crossed a few borders with ATA Carnets, which is basically the same idea as a TIP. Sometimes, it was quite an adventure. First to find a customs guy who knew what the heck it was, and what to do with it. Second, I was usually traveling by air. After 9/11 I could could no longer ship the stuff by air freight, and had to take it as excess baggage. Airlines run on schedules. Customs guys do not. Tracking down the one guy in an airport who can stamp a carnet, and who may only work the day shift, and whose office might be approached only by going the wrong way through security... Before your next flight leaves... Yeah, I'll try not to do that again.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 20:07   #9

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
$100 now but it's good for 10 years!.
Ah, "The Good Old Days" 1995 when it was good for 20 years and FREE !

OTOH, we had to check in with the Port Captain and Immigration at EVERY PORT . Ugh.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 21:01   #10

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Thanks guys, very helpful! And if anyone has websites for any of this stuff (prefereably in english), it would be appreciated.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 07:56   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20man View Post
As to what Paul L said... Get the TIP cancelled. Go offshore in the boat WITH EXIT PAPERS. (from port captain)

Reenter Port with new TIP for NEW ownership.

Simple...

Best of luck.
ok. The boat is on the hard. But I should cancel the TIP when the refit is done and boat splashed? If I need to bring items in tax free, that is first possible when I have been offshore?
Old 28-03-2017, 08:37   #12

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas.mehlin View Post
ok. The boat is on the hard. But I should cancel the TIP when the refit is done and boat splashed? If I need to bring items in tax free, that is first possible when I have been offshore?
You can cancel the old tip and get a new tip at the same time. The boat does not have to be wet. Take the old tip papers when you go. Do it as soon as you take possession!
Old 28-03-2017, 09:26   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

mine is 20 yrs and was 65 usd. got it in 2011. i have been advised that permanent importation is based on price paid for boat and its age. i was quoted 500 usd.
might be worth it for the uscg nvdc fees i am forced to pay out yearly.

i purchase my deep cycle house batteries in mexico -- the pricing is nearly the same and batteries --LTH -- are excellent. i pay 1875pesos each including core-- for 6 v golfcart batteries. same quality as others-- batteries are pretty much made in same factory only with different stickers added. i believe that these same battewries in usa, last time i bought therem were 150 usd each core not included--only 12 usd core charge, poop.(costco, sd) i prefer to buy this item in mexico--better deal.
there is no reason to import items that are readily available here. i have found everything is available here in mexico. i have also met many who are stuck on the alleged quality of allegedly made in usa items hahaha check your stickers for where each item is actually manufactured.
costs of refit are much more reasonable once the usa umbilical cord is cut.

by the way--that 300 usd value of parts imported is what you are allowed to bring without charge of duty tax, which is about 17 percent of the declared value of the parts. so the 1895 or so pesos they charge in mexico for the same batteries you buy for 150 usd and then pay 17 percent of that overall value in tax-- does not save anything--may as well re enter usa and save the duty .. or buy in mexico at mexican pricing which is significantly less than importation of an item already here. the battery core charge is around 300 pesos here and only 12 usd in costco.
the price of a jabsco toilet pump assembly in usa is 82 usd, yet the mexican customs agents charge 100 usd duty on these items shipped into mexico from usa. yup btdt.
buy it in mexico for 90 usd and win.
oh yeah there are even bronze thru hull items here... isnt the backwards place you all think it is. there is actually shipping an d boating here--large boats requiring items used in our lil recreational boats. funny ho w buck algonquinships parts regularly to mexico, so it isnt desolate unavailability here..is like so cal only with a lower standard of living
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 09:53   #14

I work at a boat chandlery so I have good discount. Thats why I would condider shipping it over. I try to find someone in mx who sell lifepo4 batteries. Suggestions?

Do I need to go there personal to fix the TIP? or can I do it from my computer?
Old 28-03-2017, 09:55   #15

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

So what are the probable issues one faces if you have a couple of van loads of gear you'd like to bring from the US down to the boat in Mexico? Assuming for now that you have your title, & TIP in order.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico, refit