I have been keeping my Formosa
51 in Nuevo Vallarta for the last year and the time has come for a major facelift/overhaul. I am interested in anyones experiences with the yards in La Paz
, Mazatlan or San Carlos
. I have experience with the Ensenada (Naval) and Puerto vallarta
I am looking to have the following work
- Rework decks, remove all core and glass. No teak this time.
- Replace cabin top and sides aft of cockpit
- Rework the fwd cockpit/replace windows
- Replace all the windows in the cabinsides with NFM portlights
- Add a sette to the port side of the salon
- Take out the wood burning fireplace (replace with an icemaker)
I would like to have the glass and woodwork done in Mexico
and I will have the mechanical and electrical
done in San Diego
I will be retired when I start this and plan on spending full time on the boat
when it is in the yard. I am fairly knowledgable about fabrication/repair but no expert so would want one knowledgable worker from the yard, as well as some strong backs and hands.
I am looking for info on quality of workers, layday rates, availablity of materials and fabrication shops. Once I narrow the list down a bit I will go visit and discuss tyhe project
. I figure on spending a good three months in the yard.