Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2017, 09:43   #1

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32
Notes for Inexperienced sailers I.e. Me

Just returned from my second bareboat Charter in the BVI. So just thought I'd put some notes down on what I learnt...

1. Check the bilge pump, check the bilge pump!!! This is the second none working bilge pump we have had so I was checking before taking the boat out. The boat briefing inspected the pump and I was told it was quiet, it was not quiet it was not functioning! And was changed. My first charter we found this out when the boat filled with water!

2. If you fluff the mooring ball pick up drop it and go round again... Normally I helm and my son 14 yoa) collects the ball and ties it of very proficiently. So this time we swapped places and we got the ball and overshot. This puts the mooring line under the keel or behind it. You can't fix this easily, just drop it and go around again it doesn't cost anything.

3. Anchor windlass quit, be prepared for this possibility it happened to me this time, make sure you know how to release it. I didn't and still don't, so I pulled the anchor up and secured it with the snubber to the dead windlass. All while drifting in a crowded anchorage with a young and nervous son at the helm.

4. Lobster pots, they are out there! I was south of Peter island in a SW wind and noticed the first one just to the lee side of the boat, there were some seas and we were close hauled, and that's when you realise how much leeway your making. I chose not to start the engine and risk getting it in the prop. I could see the taught line as clear as day going under the hull, thankfully it cleared. Then as soon as I got my heart rate down again just as the carrot rock was in my lee there was another one!

5. Halyards slapping and humming, you know this is keeping everyone else awake too so you try and do some thing. First they slap, I hook my halyard below a fleet on the mast to keep the sail down should it blow in the night. So the when it does blow I pull it tighter, then it doesn't slap as much but when it does it is louder, so then I put a coke can between the halyard and mast. Then it stops banging and starts humming... Loudly. So then the only thing to do is stay awake and try to be on deck when it starts. So you ligh in your bunk then when it starts you lay there for ten seconds and as soon as you put a leg out of bed it stops. You go on deck nothing, you get back in bed it starts as soon as your asleep, put a leg out and it stops.... Repeat all night....

6. The anchour on the boat is crap, several times we couldn't get it to bite especially at Anagada. I never put a tape to it but I think the stern anchour was bigger than the one on the bow. And by crap I mean I have little experience so it may just be me. Anagada was very busy and there were no balls available to begin with but eventually one opened up and we took it, but we found it impossible to get the boat to hold with any reverse thrust.

7. Batteries seemed to be shot we were asked to run the engine two hours in the morning and two hours at night. But it seamed yo be better running three X one hour sessions or some times just two X one hour sessions combined with navigating in and out of the anchorage. I may take a clamp on amp meter next time just for fun.

8. Some charter companies are better than others BVI Charters were very helpful and easy to work with, the enevatable small issues were dealt with very quickly and fuss free. This is only the second company I have worked with in the region.

Overall it's a very cheap learning experience and an awesome holiday / vacation.
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 18:12   #2

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Re: Notes for Inexperienced sailers I.e. Me

Did you check the windlass breaker? If not, next time your windlass doesn't work, check the breaker. Sometimes the windlass breaker will trip, particularly if you have a good hold with the anchor and only use the windlass to bring the anchor up.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 18:47   #3

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

All good points, but in reference to point number 4, I have a standing rule on our boat that I make clear to anyone on the helm. If it looks like it's going to be hard to sail upwind of something, then don't. Sail downwind of it instead. I think it is human nature to under estimate leeway, I've been sailing for 40 years and I still get it wrong.
Old 18-02-2017, 23:18   #4

Boat: Viking 30

Probably a lot of people reading the OP will remember similar experiences from their own early days onboard.
Halyards can be quietened by securing them out away from the mast. Bring the main halyard to the boom end at the topping lift. Others to the chain plates. Use sail ties to prevent the sail moving if there isn't a cover.
In crowded anchorages it can be impossible to have enough scope to bed the anchor securely. Safer to move on and find a place you can hold or as you did, pick up a mooring. Lots of carnage is caused by boaters misjudging depth or forgetting about a rising tide or simply being too cavalier "she'll be right, there's hardly a breath of wind!" Well done for not being one of those.
MollyJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 05:20   #5

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
Did you check the windlass breaker? If not, next time your windlass doesn't work, check the breaker. Sometimes the windlass breaker will trip, particularly if you have a good hold with the anchor and only use the windlass to bring the anchor up.
I did check the breaker first but I could hear clicking around the motor when the remote was pressed, seemed like a bad connection from relay to motor to me. I wasn't about to start dismantling the thing. I do appreciate the advice though.
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 12:33   #6

Boat: bare boat charter world wide

understand problems with bare boat charter vessels. One thing that is important is upon returning to the docks, and even before, write down all of the problems on a discrepancy report, and go over all of them with the person checking you in after the charter.

As to halyards, we do as suggested right after picking up a mooring. We tie off all lines, that will be slapping against the mast, and pull them well away from the mast. with sail ties that we bring with us. If possible, we snap the main halyard clevis shackle to the topping lift shackle at the aft end of the boom. I also take a purchase on the roller snarler jib sheets. Stop the sheet lead blocks from snapping back and forth on the deck. Also, even tho the mainsheet is pulled tight, I will rig a line from the main, that will act as preventer to keep the boom from swinging and banging.

I coil and cleat all running rigging and secure the wheel with line to the rudder stationary. .

By then, Erica has the vessel squared away below, , deck cushions out, and a couple of cold mooring brews and a snack all set, and jummy buffet or some caribbean steel drum music playing.

We now have left many years of bareboating with the moorings. A couple of trips back, we had some very significant squawks. One we discovered was a rip tear at the tack of the main before we left the moorings marina. Now, we go thru a very thorough vessel inspection in addition to the vessel check out by the charter company staff.

Found the tear, that was caused by improper reefing procedures, and the rams horn had chaffed a hole in the main just above the tack cringle. Well, we told them about it, and the sail loft was suppose to bring down and swap out a new main. I even walked up to the sail loft...no one cared.

So, we just tucked in a reef, and taped up the hole, that now was no effect, since it was just part of the fall of the reefed sail. No pressure on it. Left the reef in for the two weeks. During the two weeks we had 16 squawks, some very significant, but we are sailors and worked around them.

Endgame: When we returned to the moorings for our after sailing debrief. A gal from the office came down. I had the discrepancy list that I made out, and she had a clip board and a pen.

I started reading off each discepaancy. her pen went to the paper, and stopped, no writing. She did not know what I was talking about. I tried to explain that they had a lot of work to do before it went back out on charter. Nothing, a totally clean sheet of paper on her clip board. I left our list for the dock staff as she did not want to take it with her. There was no acknowledgement that any thing was going to be done to fix the problems.

Now, the mooring and sunsail charge a lot of money for quality boats....but the quality of that vessel was non existant....but it sailed really well.

One of the important things that new sailors might have a problem with. When we departed road town, it was raining, vis was very restricted, maybe less than a mile at sea. We were headed to Norman Island, to moor in the bight and party down on the Willy T. about 1.5 hr sail. this was about BVI trip #12 for us.

We left under power, and headed out to the main harbor to clear the narrow inner harbor before hoisting the main. Fenders up, dock lines stowed, we turned on the auto pilot so we could get the main up, I jumped the halyard, Erica had slacked the mainheet, and boom vang, and up went the main. All set with a reef already tucked in. Trimmed in proper main sail shape tension, and squared away all the lines.

I looked at our position, something was not right, I looked at the auto pilot heading and the vessels binnacle compass, they did not agreed, they were about 45 degrees in difference. I grabbed my hand bearing compass....the vessels mag compass was correct, the heading read out on the auto pilot was not.

Off with the auto pilot....we went back to good old coastal navigation and kissed off the magic electronic wonder. Vis was now less than 1/2 mile, and dropping. We entered the bight and the rain had increased and was blowing sideways. vis was maybe 50 feet or so. We picked up a mooring. The wind howled, no one was dinking to the Willy T.

We fixed a meal on board, and broke out the rum . Turned on the music, and partied on our own. Next morning was a bit cloudy, no rain, good vis. and great winds. We tucked in a second reef, and rolled in the jib to 100% . Yahooo, a spirited sail up the Sir Francis Drake Channel to Virgin Gorda sound.

Point being, some people totally trust electronics, some cannnot read charts or even have them on board, nor know coastal piloting and navigation. If a skipper would have just followed the auto pilot, big problem. Especially with the very low vis, strong winds, and rain.

Many people are on their first BVI trip, and could have missed Norman Island and proceeded out to the open sea.

Point being, upon reurn, the Moorings made zero notes of the discrepancies, including the auto pilot or the rip in the main. And there were 14 more squawks, many that we found after we were sailing the islands.

After that, end of 30 plus years with the moorings. Then went to sunsail, and now have abandoned the large corporations for family run charter outfits that have been around for twenty plus years. May 2017 will be BVI sailing vacation # 15.

we understand, that things on boats break, and we just handle it. But, when paying several thousand dollars for a supposed well found vessel with a company that we trusted, you can see why we still sail the BVI, but just with other companies that so far have been really great.

Also, I have had windlasses go tango uniform, with all chain, in fairly deep anchorages.
I took a spare sheet, and tied a rolling hitch to the chain, ran the line back to the largest jib sheet winch and cranked the anchor up. Yep, I had to untie and re tie that rolling hitch, but it worked.

We also like to get into and anchorage and pick up a mooring fairly early. No later than 3 pm, or sooner. The sun is up and we can read the reefs, as well as have a better chance at a mooring.
bvisailing32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 12:53   #7

I have briefed for several co.s in whitsundays done 100.smaybe 1000.s of briefings and also did briefings in summer on houseboats around fraser is. I would encourage all sailors to charter a houseboat from a small co. that is cheaper than sailboats and my experience has been that houseboats not only are fun they seem more realistic all round and the charterers are better seamen more resourceful and happier people I hated houseboats until this experience .One h/boat I briefed 30years old had never had a anchor winch 150 ft chain and it was 40ft long but it always went out and came back no probs.boating does not have to be hard that boat had to go thru wide bay area every charter too where many yachties got into trouble.Seamanship a.mysterious sometimes ellusive thing be open minded .I have since done a few coastal passages on houseboats comfortably and safely
baycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 13:42   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

BVIsailing32,,

You must be the charterer from heaven, bringing your own tools, good idea, and providing fix-it lists. What ignorance for them to ignore the feedback.

You done good, even if it was not acknowledged.

The charter outfits just want the boats to go out, I think. How you find out who is bad is to listen to the VHF chatter, and you'll soon see, for instance, that "Volcano", each week on Tuesday has to return to base to have its refrigeration topped up. It is not info available to the one who charters the boat, and who will not be warned that they may lose a day of their holiday to rtb for the fridge mechanic. On our own boat, we were in the popular area long enough to hear many stories. Including one annoyed guy with a defunct mainsail, who said on the VHF for all to hear, "We'll talk about recompense for this in your office. I am a barrister." Terror must have shivered through their hearts!

Ann
Old 19-02-2017, 13:51   #9

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven UK View Post
Just returned from my second bareboat Charter in the BVI. So just thought I'd put some notes down on what I learnt...
Nice list. I especially appreciate the reminder to "just go around again." So obvious except sometimes we just get stubborn... I like enumerating all the things I learn when I get back from a trip; I always manage to learn something. Thanks for sharing!

Here's the one from our first big charter: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...0b-128902.html
Old 24-02-2017, 11:16   #10

This is a great thread. Anyone ever had issues with the main battens getting caught in the lazyjack? Try raising part way while into the wind before you cast off the ball. Works great!
Seajourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 11:21   #11

My first charter had no reefing lines.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 11:56   #12

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajourner View Post
This is a great thread. Anyone ever had issues with the main battens getting caught in the lazyjack? Try raising part way while into the wind before you cast off the ball. Works great!

I've finally convinced my wife it's a lot easy to raise the main before pulling anchor or leaving a mooring. Gives us plenty of time to sort out any issues with the main, especially the battens getting caught in the lazyjack lines.

Regarding the OP, grewat list. For charters I always check the bilge pump by raising the float switch in the bilge. Had one that wasn't working and the charter checkout guy said, oh it will work if water gets in the bilge. I said BS, filled the bilge with a pan of water from the sink, and said we're not leaving the dock til this is fixed. Took them two hours to find and fix some faulty wiring.

Joe
aquadreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 13:01   #13

My first charter, with a friend who swore by the charter company at the start of the charter and swore at them at the end, had a non functioning windlass and the stove only worked on one burner.

I was a noob at the time but it was a great learning experience of what to do before leaving
rallyman1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 14:02   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Great discussion - I've had some of these problems on charter, but BVISailing32 beat them all! This just goes to re-assure me when I'm doing a thorough inspection of a charter boat that it is worthwhile. Sometimes the checkout person gives you that look like you're wasting his time and "of course it all works fine. We're a quality company". It's nothing personal, but your family's life may be on the line and it will only take a half-hour to run through the list, which is usually made by problems in the past. I have found that spending the night on-board ahead of time is worth the extra hundred bucks to find all those electrical things that don't work and to relax for the vacation. Some added comments from bad experience:
1. Does the tank have propane? Had the checkout guy look really surprised in a remote charter when we were provisioning the boat that we were actually going to cook!
2. Do the nav lights work? Was told that I was not allowed to sail at night, but the anchor light was on the same breaker, so ...
3. Are the fire extinguishers current? Hopefully never have to find out if they really work, but at least with a current date you have some chance of success.
They usually are very careful about things that affect them (check-in calls or rules), but less careful when it comes to your comfort and convenience.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 17:23   #15

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
Great discussion - I've had some of these problems on charter, but BVISailing32 beat them all! This just goes to re-assure me when I'm doing a thorough inspection of a charter boat that it is worthwhile. Sometimes the checkout person gives you that look like you're wasting his time and "of course it all works fine. We're a quality company". It's nothing personal, but your family's life may be on the line and it will only take a half-hour to run through the list, which is usually made by problems in the past. I have found that spending the night on-board ahead of time is worth the extra hundred bucks to find all those electrical things that don't work and to relax for the vacation. Some added comments from bad experience:
1. Does the tank have propane? Had the checkout guy look really surprised in a remote charter when we were provisioning the boat that we were actually going to cook!
2. Do the nav lights work? Was told that I was not allowed to sail at night, but the anchor light was on the same breaker, so ...
3. Are the fire extinguishers current? Hopefully never have to find out if they really work, but at least with a current date you have some chance of success.
They usually are very careful about things that affect them (check-in calls or rules), but less careful when it comes to your comfort and convenience.
Completely agree with you. I've done 8 charters so far and my pre-cruise checklist has gotten to be pretty comprehensive. I spend more like 3+ hours on my checklist. The checkout folks think I'm nuts but a broken boat that I'm paying thousands to rent ticks me off.

From experience, issues I've caught on checkout
- Missing thruhull plugs set
- No mallet to pound in a plug if I needed to - they gave me a 2x4 :-)
- Expired liferaft (two years past inspection date)
- jib furler problems. We had to use a winch for both furling and unfurling. That was the only thing I didn't check on this charter. I raised the main and checked it but didn't unfurl the jib. I'll always raise and check all sails going forward.
- Dinghy pump didn't work or was missing (two charters).
- Dinghy bailer missing.
- No tools. I had to loan them my leatherman when they had to replace the jib. If I'd inspected the jib I would have found the patch that later blew out during the charter. I'm a bit torn on how many tools to bring with me but have settled on screwdrivers, crescent wrench, and leatherman.
- Really minimal first aid kits. We bring our own.
- Rusted shut can opener (two charters). Had to use my swiss army knife. We bring our own now.
- Man overboard strobe light didn't work. Take it out and invert to make sure it turns on. This one didn't.
- Wind anemometers usually don't work. I bring a Weatherflow iphone anemometer as backup.
- Speed and log transducers usually don't work. On the last charter I pulled it to clean the paddlewheel but this one didn't have a paddlewheel so not sure how to check this type. it really surprised the checkout people that I actually pulled it to check :-)
- Not to mention the minor things like stereo ipod input jacks not working, cabin fans not working (had it replaced), flakey saloon light switches, shore power cord not working

I'd love to hear what other things folks have run into :-)

I'll post a separate message and pictures on fouled fuel filters and fuel pickups :-)

Joe
aquadreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, sail