Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2017, 17:43   #16

Boat: between boats
Re: Notes for Inexperienced sailers I.e. Me

So when chartering, how does one check that the fuel system is good and you won't run into engine problems due to plugged fuel filters or fuel pickups?

I've had this on 2 of 8 charters. See attached pictures. Both the filter and the fuel tank pickup screen were completely plugged. Yes, that is a fuel pickup in the first photo, and that blob of sludge and algae has a wire mesh screen under it as you can see in the second pic.

Engine died and cost me a day of the charter.

Any suggestions on how one can check this at the start of the charter before leaving the dock? I'm willing to pull the filter myself if that's feasible but I don't think the charter company wants me doing that.

I would bet this is the most common cause of engine problems. You'd think the charter companies would replace these after every charter. 30 min of labor or less.

Cheers,
- Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fouled_fuel_pickup.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	392.3 KB
ID:	141950   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5035.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	411.2 KB
ID:	141951  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5044.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	141952  
aquadreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 19:07   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Ann and I have never chartered a boat, but we've spent lots of time in areas with large charter fleets. For amusement we often listen to what i call the "hate and discontent" channels on the VHF... the one(s) on which the renters call in each morning and afternoon. The stories we hear unfold are sometimes hilarious, until one stops to consider that these folks have often saved up carefully for what is to them a very pricey holiday, and due to poor maintenance, they are loosing a big chunk of the time they paid for. Then it's not so funny...

So good on you, OP, for suggesting the careful checkout, and giving the specific items that you have found to commonly be faulty. You may just have saved a lot of grief for some fellow CF charterer.

Jim
Old 25-02-2017, 07:28   #18

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadreams View Post
I've finally convinced my wife it's a lot easy to raise the main before pulling anchor or leaving a mooring. Gives us plenty of time to sort out any issues with the main, especially the battens getting caught in the lazyjack lines.

Regarding the OP, grewat list. For charters I always check the bilge pump by raising the float switch in the bilge. Had one that wasn't working and the charter checkout guy said, oh it will work if water gets in the bilge. I said BS, filled the bilge with a pan of water from the sink, and said we're not leaving the dock til this is fixed. Took them two hours to find and fix some faulty wiring.

Joe
My first charter we had water above the floor boards because the single hose clamp on the muffler let go and the float switch didn't work... I won't charter with those guys again mainly because when I asked for a days worth of money back it turned into a shouting match... Lesson learned or earned.

It also makes me laugh that these guys have nothing invested in these boats which is obvious because they never ask for proof of any sailing experience before giving it to you "Give me your money...!!!"
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2017, 16:32   #19

I appreciate this thread SO much! Husband and myself will be doing our first charter at the end of the year and we love having the valuable heads up from those before us! Thank You!
TomAndLee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, sail