Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2019, 08:55   #1

Boat: Tartan 3800
Review: Standard Horizon HX300 and HX380 handheld marine radios

The HX300 and HX380 are handheld marine radios manufactured by Yaesu and sold under the "Standard Horizon" Brand. Yaesu also manufactures commercial radios under the Vertex brand. Yaesu was recently acquired by Motorola Solutions.

The HX380 can also be used on the amateur 2m band and most other VHF frequencies if properly programmed.

The radios are submersible. They operate on either a rechargable lithium-ion battery pack, which is supplied with the radio, or AA batteries using an optional tray. The HX300 would require 3 AA batteries and the HX380 six. The battery tray is mainly useful in lifeboats or other standby/emergency applications where it is not possible to keep the lithium battery pack charged.

The construction and RF deck appear to be identical between the two radios.

These are tough, commercial-quality handhelds. They are not toys. The speaker is large and loud enough to be heard in a high-noise environment. Audio quality is good. I used the HX300 as the only radio in my 25' sailboat last year, and it fully met my expectations. I recommend both products.

Neither radio has DCS, AIS, or GPS features. They are strictly capable of voice communication.

Both radios have a scan feature, can receive on the VHF NWS weather broadcast channels, and can be set for U.S., Canada, or international band plans. The scan feature is difficult to set up but works well once this is done. Both radios have a standard SMA antenna connector, so that the antenna may be replaced or the radio connected to an external antenna.

Street prices today are $105 for the HX300 and $122 for the HX380.

The HX300 is designed specifically for smaller craft such as kayaks, dinghies, and canoes. It has a smaller battery, which reduces the overall size of the device, and provides about six hours of useful life. There are no external knobs or accessory connections making this radio more resistant to bangs, drops, and getting caught in fishing line, particularly when the optional belt clip is not installed. It has a water sensor and a bright flashing light that operates when it is submerged to assist in recovery. The HX300 is recharged using a mini-USB connection, which is protected behind a latching door. This provides flexibility for back-country uses since the same power source used for phones and tablets can be used to charge the radio. However as this is a mini-USB connection, not the now-common micro-USB connection, an extra cable will be required in most cases.

The HX380 has a larger battery pack that is supposed to provide 14 hours of operation. There is a rotary knob to control volume and turn the radio on and off, and an accessory port for external microphones, speakers, and headsets. It uses a drop-in charger that requires a 12v power supply. Adapters for cigarette lighter, 120v mains, and 220v European mains are included. The volume knob is a big improvement in usability as the HX300 requires multiple button presses to change the volume, however, it results in a somewhat less rugged radio. A removable belt clip is included.

The HX380 is programmable using a specialized programming cable and a laptop running Windows 10 (or most earlier versions of Windows). Third-party cables are available inexpensively on eBay. The software, though officially limited to dealer use, is available through the amateur radio community.

By programming the radio, it is possible to remove unwanted channels and to add a short name to each channel. Doing this makes the radio easier to use since it isn't necessary to wade through the old Maritel channels and others that are no longer authorized for routine use in the USA. The programming cable connects to the same accessory port used for a microphone or headset.

It is also possible to add channels throughout the 134-174 MHz VHF band to the extent you may be authorized to use them. Either narrow or wide band FM can be used, and there's a CTCSS and DCS feature. This would allow amateur radio license holders, for example, to use the radio in the 2 meter band, either simplex or with a repeater. The radio is also approved for business band and other LMR band use for those who hold a suitable license. Channels can be marked 1w max or receive only during programming. It is also possible to add the MURS frequencies at least on a receive basis. (The radios are not type approved by the FCC to transmit on MURS frequencies because the FCC does not permit MURS transmitters that are also capable of transmitting on non-MURS frequencies)

Although the bottom of the frequency range overlaps with the air band, these radios do not use the same modulation technique as aviation radios, so it is not possible to use these for coordination with aircraft (in SAR for example) on aviation frequencies.

Advanced users will find that there is a limitation when using CTCSS. There is no way to temporarily switch to carrier squelch to confirm a frequency is not in use before transmitting.

It is possible to set the radio up to scan a combination of marine and amateur radio channels.

The drop-in charger can be used as-is on a desk but has mounting holes allowing it to be affixed more permanently to a horizontal surface. There is a well-designed friction clip that should be sufficient to retain the radio in the charger in rough seas.

I recommend these as they are a lot of radio for the money. They come with everything you need and are usable out of the box. The HX380 has the accessory and programming support to do more if that's your goal.

I am planning to get some of the headsets and speaker mics and post my experience with them here.

Photo attached showing the two radios, the drop-in charger, and a hand for size perspective.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1552059761090.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	395.5 KB
ID:	187510  
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:23   #2

Boat: Lancer 27PS
Re: Review: Standard Horizon HX300 and HX380 handheld marine radios

Very nice. Thanks for the review. It seems that on most handheld radios, the antenna is the Achilles heel. Any comments on that?
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:40   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.D View Post
Very nice. Thanks for the review. It seems that on most handheld radios, the antenna is the Achilles heel. Any comments on that?

Brian,

The antenna included with the radio is a typical 8" VHF "rubber duck." Internally these are a metal spiral, with an elastomer (rubber) overmold. If your question is related to durability, I agree. Well-made VHF handhelds will outlast their antennas. However, replacement antennas are available and are not expensive. (The situation is somewhat different with UHF because the antennas are smaller and therefore subject to less stress)

There are a wide variety of VHF handheld antennas on the market that use an SMA connector that are compatible with these radios. These offer varying tradeoffs of performance, size, durability, and ease of use. Comet, for example, offers three antennas, choice of 3", 8", or 16" long. They are cut for the amateur radio bands but could be trimmed for use on the marine bands:

https://www.theantennafarm.com/catal...with-sma-1113/

Diamond makes similar antennas, as do many other manufacturers.

The 16" antennas are a quarter wave and will perform better than the stock one.
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:06   #4

Boat: BLock Island 40 Yawl S/V Honeymoon

So. Neither would be good choice for a ditch bag
Old 09-03-2019, 09:01   #5

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJamesCook View Post
So. Neither would be good choice for a ditch bag

===

I'm not sure I agree with that assertion. If I were putting one in a ditch bag I'd replace the rechargeable battery with the optional tray and equip it with something like alkaline Duracells or similar batteries with a long shelf like. Is there another issue that concerns you?
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:23   #6

Boat: Lancer 27PS

Any radio in a ditch bag that will operate on Ch. 16 (156.8MHz) is better than no radio at all. Even a "toy" radio as long as it works on Ch.16. I would even venture to say an old chrystal handheld that has long battery life. But, I would also include a solar battery charger in the ditch bag. One that will charge a minimum of batteries for the radio you have.

With regards to antennas as being the Achilles heel, most handheld radios, even the good expensive ones, will skimp on the antenna to cut cost. So it is worth while to find a replacement antenna from a reputable manufacture (not OEM). A few were mentioned above, but another is Nagoya.

JMHO
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:49   #7

I have an HX270S, and the battery charger is like the one on the right in your photo. I haven't ever tacked it down to any surface, 'cuz I only put the radio into it when not in use. I like the unit and the convenience of that particular charger: no extra plugs and it is a reliable holder in the nav station. SH makes good stuff.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:00   #8

I have the HX300. Bought it for use on a kayak. Only problem I've had out of it is the battery meter won't now show full charge. It always shows as 1/3 charge. But the unit definitely will run longer than 6 hours on a charge using the rechargeable battery pack, when in standby mode. I just tried it. I left it on (but no use at all) overnight and it was over 12 hours before the radio died. I can't say how long it will run, as it was dead when I checked it. I just know it was over 12 hours. From a full charge.
jb2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 09:30   #9

I have now had these radios for 3 years and have purchased additional HX380 radios so that I now have a total of four.

I have purchased the long (roughly 10") whip antennas for these from The Antenna Farm. It is necessary to trim the elastomeric collar molded into the bottom of the antenna slightly to make it fit while still keeping the connector more or less sealed against water intrusion.

I have purchased several of the battery trays for the HX380 and loaded them with NiMH AA batteries for standby operation. The lithium packs that the radios come with last for long enough that we have never had to switch packs except in the rare situation where we take the radio on a multi-day trip and leave the charger at home (due to space limitations or unavailability of a power source).

We have not had problems with water intrusion despite these taking several dunkings on canoe trips.

The main limitation of the HX380 is that it is designed to use the drop-in charger, only. The drop in charger is great if you have a place to mount it permanently as we do aboard our Tartan 3800. It is not as convenient as a USB charging cable for casual use on day trips or smaller vessels.

The HX300 is fine for what it is but does have a more limited battery life. Mine uses the now-obsolete mini USB connection for charging. The controls are not as intuitive or convenient to use as the HX380.The HX300 is smaller and does float.

I've used two of the headset accessories for the HX380 and though they work and are well thought out, I do not find that they are useful in most situations. The advantage they have is that you can communicate more discreetly, useful if you are working in theater but not on a boat.
Old 15-02-2023, 10:08   #10

Boat: Lagoon 380

We have a SH 890. Feature rich. Jury is out still on range with furnished antenna. DSC is easy, Waypoint management ok.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 10:33   #11

I have several Standard Horizon HX210 and prefer them to the new model.

1) orange collar is easier to spot than black
2) buttons are easier to insulate/waterproof than a rotary knob

Cons
- not very loud, but OK
- antenna is a dummy, i don't believe it has a spiral inside. Frequency tuned rubber duck like a Slim Duck 155 MHZ work much better.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, radio