Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2017, 19:22   #1

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
2 Standard Horizon radios on same MMSI

I have 2 HX870 portable radios that I haven't programmed the MMSI numbers into yet.

I would like to be able to request via DSC the position of one radio via the other. The manual explains how to do this to other vessels but I'm sure this assumes that the other vessel has a different MMSI number than the one doing the polling.

If I program both radios with the same MMSI numbers (as I plan on doing) can I request a position from one radio using this common MMSI number?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Marc
Marc_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 20:35   #2

Re: 2 Standard Horizon radios on same MMSI

No information about how Standard Horizon radios will work.

However, this thread on the SailBoatOwners forum has some relevant information about the implementation of MMSI in the USA. These posts suggest that your Standard Horizon radios will be fine programmed with the same MMSI number. The posts also indicate that if you plan to use your radios with the same boat, it is expected that you will use the same MMSI on both radios. (MMSI is intended to identify a boat, not a radio.)

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...number.173275/
mrichmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 23:50   #3

I would doubt the location finding would work with same mmsi. but that is just a guess.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 19:19   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

I'm pretty sure you will need to register one as a mobile station and get a separate MMSI number. The other can be the same as the boat, but you won't know if you are talking to the boat or second handheld. Mine are setup with one same as the boat and one as a mobile radio and I can get the position info.
SteveInMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 14:23   #5

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_H View Post
...If I program both radios with the same MMSI numbers (as I plan on doing) can I request a position from one radio using this common MMSI number?
Since both radios have the same identity, when some other vessel request a position from your vessel with the MMSI you have entered into the two radios on your vessel, both radios will receive the message and try to respond. Typically you can choose the method of replying to be automatic or manual, If your vessel has two DSC radios, I would not set both radios to automatically reply to position poll requests.

If you poll the position of your own vessel with one of the radios on your vessel, the other radios on your vessel should reply. An MMSI identifies a vessel, not a radio.

Exactly how the particular radios you have will operate in the situation of receiving a position poll request from another radio with the same MMSI will be hard to predict. Perhaps you can call the manufacturer of the radios and ask their advice. Standard-Horizon generally has excellent customer support for their radio products.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio