Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2018, 07:47   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
East Coast US Sights

Sitting in Fernandina Beach FL waiting to finish some dental work and for it to warm up a little to go North. My general plan is to go north till about beginning of September then turning back around and going south again. Would like to go see Nova Scotia, but it doesn't really matter how far north we get.

Looking for recommendations of things to see and experience on the trip. This is your chance to prove to a clueless cruiser that you cruise/sail/motor in a nice area and can prove it with your recommended spot.

Don't tell me about guidebooks. I', amazed at how "nice" they can make a crap hole sound like. Was doing the same research the other day and I was reading the descriptions of some of the places to my wife that we had already been to and she started laughing.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:10   #2

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: East Coast US Sights

If you are heading north and hope to make it to NS you better chop chop. You should be in the Chesapeake by the end of April to be able to make it to Nova Scotia no later than the end of June to start heading back south in August. September for the Chesapeake and then back down in Florida by early to mid November. A lot of cruisers will stage their boats up in Maine for the winter in order to actually get some decent time in NS.

If doing the ICW don't hurry through the Albamarle and Pamlico sounds. We particularly like the quiet of the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge. Its probably the most rural area on the east coast regardless of the bombing range. I don't think cell service exists there.

Skip Manteo - despite its popularity there really isn't a lot there to see and you really have to go out of your way.

Go to cape lookout.

Charleston definitely.

Annapolis is a hoot but very expensive but there is lots and lots of great sailing to do in the Chesapeake. If you are looking for action through... not a lot going on in the small towns up and down the Ches.

I know you don't want to hear this but the waterway guide is very accurate...
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:17   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

A few of the places I liked or want to go.

Charleston. Nice town, lots of very good restaurants. City marina not too expensive and close to town BUT take care the current rips through there on ebb and flood.

DC. Want to spend a few days to visit the museums and see the sites.

If you're into scenery and tranquility I love the marshes in the SE but be prepared for the bugs, especially at dusk. Generator and air con could be essential in spots.

NYC - Same plan as DC. I think you could never run out of restaurants and things to see in the city.

Savannah. Also worth a day or so if you want to travel up the river.

LI Sound. You could spend a few weeks there. Mystic Seaport. Worth an afternoon. You could spend a week or three exploring the ports and towns around eastern Long Island. Martha's Vineyard a couple of days.

Maine could take a couple of weeks at least. Monhegan Island is worth a stop. A day in Freeport to give some money to LL Bean. A day or two in Bar Harbor and hike Acadia National Park while you're there.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:10   #4
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post

I know you don't want to hear this but the waterway guide is very accurate...

I have one. It's very good at making a sh*thole town sound like a charmimg stop. Sometimes I like shi*thole towns, but I like to be able to plan for them.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:16   #5
CLOD

BTW - I'm looking for things more specific than "Maine"or "Chesapeake". I've been to each and looking for something specific like "DC" etc.

I have the trip north and then the trip back south to see stuff. Lots of time and I know the "schedule" as I went from Boston in mid Sept to St Augustine by Thanksgiving on the trip south 1.5 years ago.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:31   #6

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Have house full of family coming over for Easter shortly, so will hit a few of my favorites
and then come back later for some more.
Conn. River...
go up river to Essex, Griswald Inn, Goodspeed Opera (shows but no opera)
Hamburg Cove (too crowded in season, so I go after summer)
Deep River, largest Fife and drum get together in mid summer.
at mouth of river is north cove, rjust dredged so is now plenty of water
free moorings, walk to town from west end of cove. Old saybrook.
On Buzzards Bay...New Bedford/Fairhaven...very much a working harbor but plenty of
rec boats.
Point Judith harbor of Refuge ...but go up pond to nice anchorage, a little tight
but worth it.
Eastern Long Island...Greenport, Shelter Island, Peconic Bays
Long Island Sound...
Mattituck...protected, good but small anchorage, close to town
Port Jefferson... good large anchor age..lot going on in town right there.
Northport...great town, usually something going on Tuesdays and Thursday evenings in summer...concerts, car shows, town dock right at foot of town.
Port Washington / Manhasset Bay (my home waters) free moorings 48 hours,
but also large protected good anchorage. water taxi will take you anywhere in bay.
2 town docks with north dock across street from Stop n Shop. concerts at band shell
Friday nights. ...Steppingstone Marina, my marina, free mooring and launch service, not a lot of services but concerts in summer Sat. and Sun. evenings.
On Westchester / Conn. side ...Mamaroneck harbor , very protected but no anchoring in harbor. town right there.
Norwalk Islands...nice to anchor, although some tight and some exposed. will be alone
at night but very close to town. Town dock always ready to accomadate last minute
boats.
More later...what you looking for... quiet protected anchorages or go all night pirates cove marina?
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:39   #7

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Plus one on Savanah...old but not a hole..I envy your choices. Retire on 4/25/18 heading out north shortly after:-).
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:58   #8

Boat: Presto 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
BTW - I'm looking for things more specific than "Maine"or "Chesapeake". I've been to each and looking for something specific like "DC" etc.

I have the trip north and then the trip back south to see stuff. Lots of time and I know the "schedule" as I went from Boston in mid Sept to St Augustine by Thanksgiving on the trip south 1.5 years ago.
When you get north as far as St. Catherine's Sound GA. veer off to the northwest up the Medway River. A few miles north you'll see and take The Sunbury Channel northward(it parallels the Medway). At the north end of the channel you'll find the Sunbury Crab Company Restaurant and Marina. The restaurant has very good seafood at very reasonable prices. The marina has few facilities but the owners used to loan their car for trips into Midway GA.(about 6 miles) for provisioning. The marina was on Active Captain and rated well for the restaurant and the hospitality of the owners. Not sure about showers or fuel.
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:18   #9

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

https://www.facebook.com/groups/268778300122540/
Old 02-04-2018, 08:38   #10
Marine Service Provider

If you want natural beauty and tranquility, there's an endless supply along the Intracoastal Waterway and the Chesapeake Bay. For great harbor cities that don't involve going miles out your way, Charleston SC is wonderful, Norfolk and its naval installations are very interesting, but for me, the best of the bunch is Baltimore, Maryland, where you can keep sailing, past Fort McHenry and all the way into the Inner Harbor, with an excellent marina and more restaurants, shops, promenades, museums, theatres and galleries within easy walking distance than you could possibly visit in a month, and of course, the National Aquarium and Oriole Park at Camden Yards and and..... Not to mention that it's a great base for visiting all of the interesting places in the middle Chesapeake.

Have fun
John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Group
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:54   #11

Boat: Bruce Roberts 45

If you're willing to make a 100 mile trip up the Potomac, DC is great by boat. The Capital Yacht club is pretty affordable and easy walking distance to the National Mall and all of the museum's. Plus you can stop at Mount Vernon on the way.

If you want to stay in the Chesapeake, Solomon's is a nice stop over with a decent maritime Museum, and St. Michael's is a great place to spend a few days and also has a great museum. Both have free anchorages.

Annapolis is very good if you are ready for something a little less sleepy than St. Michael's. Moorings are available, between I think $25 and $35 a night depending on location. You can get every where by dinghy. They have great Wednesday night sailboat races, and obviously a tour of the naval academy is cool.
3Days_at_a_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:01   #12

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Others have mentioned Savannah & Charleston. A good stopping point from Georgetown, SC if you're doing day sails outside is Southport, NC. Fun little town with good restaurants and some history. Beaufort NC is similar. +1 Cape Lookout.

If you like nature, and weather keeps you inside, Hilton Head to Charleston via ICW is very nice. Same for Waccamaw River section of ICW, but then that forces you to go through the Myrtle Beach section of the ICW which sucks.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:10   #13

Hugosalt mentioned Northport in Maine, but he really means Belfast, a small jewel of a town at the head of Penobscot Bay. Young's lobster pound in the harbor is a must (and byob). Bayside, part of the town of Northport, is a tiny Victorian cottage village three miles south of Belfast. It has a great little yacht club for picking up a club mooring and there are cottage rentals in the village. If you're thinking of putting up the boat for the winter in Maine, I'd suggest Atlantic Boat Company in Brooklin Maine (home of Wooden Boat Mag and near Frenchman's Bay and Acadia National Park). ABC is a family owned capable marina and yard with great folks.
bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:20   #14

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Agree with the other poster a trip up the CT river is a fun side excursion in long island sound. Mystic seaport is great but dockage is a bit pricey. Grab some lobster at Fords lobster in Noank at the mouth of the mystic river.
Watch Hill in RI is great decent anchorage behind napatree nice little (extremely wealthy) town.

Block island is a blast but a pain in season best in the spring or fall if your there mid summer avoid weekends and the 4th of July unless you looking for a crowded party.
Cutty hunk is a nice quiet stop over nice spot for a night and some hiking and icecream.

In Maine I like Penobscot bay and Stonington on over to Blue hill. I have only ever sailed there on other people's boats that are based there so not sure on anchorages etc as we sailed of their private moorings. For some still rugged Maine coast I love Cutler and Lubec and even Eastport Maine. That said they tides and currents make these spots tricky and well there ain't much to do there. But since I lived in Easport a few years I would love to have the chance to sail up there again.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:24   #15
CLOD

thanks, I'm paying attention in case anyone is wondering

Tags
east coast