Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2018, 16:14   #1

Boat: 2003 Beneteau Oceanis 331
Advice on Outboard Choice (HP) for Dinghy (Family of 4 - 2 small kids)

Hi everyone,

First post! I've already gained so much from this site researching my many, many "new sailor" questions - and I'm really looking forward to contributing back in the future. This is such a great community.

In the meantime, I am humbly asking for some specific advice from some of the more experienced sailors out there. My family (me, wife and 2 small kids) are first-time boat owners and are now looking to outfit our (new to us) 34' sloop with a dinghy to get us around mooring fields and to/from anchorages - and for some exploration too.

We already have our inflatable - it's a West Marine PHP 310 (Air Floor Inflatable). We were very grateful to get this as a gift from our parents so we couldn't beat the price. We have limited deck space (2003 Beneteau 331) so I do see us inflating and deflating regularly so am hoping this will work well. I do recognize the many benefits of a RIB and we will certainly explore those down the road when we become more experienced cruisers.

I am now stuck trying to decide on how big (or small) of an outboard to buy. The max horsepower (as stated by WM) is 9.9hp but it can supposedly plane 1 person with 4hp.

I would say about 40% of our usage time will be my whole family (total weight before any gear = 480 lbs) and the other 60% it will be me single-handing (230lbs - before gear).

I've had a # of people tell me to go as big as my boat can handle and others that say "start at 50% of max capacity" and then get the best combo of power and physical weight. I've had even others tell me just to get a 2HP given the high-concentration of no-wake zones in my area (Annapolis). I respect all of these viewpoints but as you can see I'm stuck!

I'm currently looking at Merc 4, Merc 6 and Merc 9.9. Not wed to these at all - just what is on my radar at this point.

We aren't going anywhere beyond the Chesapeake for a few years (at least that is the immediate plan) - so we will just be bouncing around the bay - finding as many anchorages as we can this summer (and having a blast!!). Our boat is currently on Back Creek in Annapolis.

Sincere thanks to anyone who has read this far (future posts will shorter, I promise) and I truly appreciate any insights/advice that anyone can share. I am not taking this purchase lightly and really want to make a good decision.

Thanks everyone!! Again, as I become a more experienced sailor/cruiser - I promise to contribute to this forum as best I can.

Joe
JoeDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, family, kids, outboard