Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2016, 19:04   #1

Need help with route planning - Abacos

I'll be making my first trip to the Bahamas next spring. I'm crossing over from Palm Beach and will be checking in at West End. I'm heading north from there and will be doing some portion of the Abacos. Just depends on time and weather.

As this is a my first time, I'm planning the exact route to allow myself the most opportunities for fuel fill-ups. I'd like to consider going straight up to Double-Breasted Cay and surrounding areas but I haven't been able to determine if I can get fuel there. Anyone know?

My other option is to head more directly towards Spanish Cay. Any suggestions? I'll take any any all input.

I'm carrying 200 gallons and will get about .8 nautical mpg.
TitanTn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 05:31   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Need help with route planning - Abacos

How about Walker's Cay?

There's nothing/noone on Double Breasted Aerial Photography of the United States and Caribbean by Aerials Only featuring the Abacos

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 05:37   #3

Boat: Hylas 54

0.8 NMPG?! Dont you mean 0.8 gph?

Are you sail boat or motor vessel?
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 05:42   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
How about Walker's Cay?

There's nothing/noone on Double Breasted Aerial Photography of the United States and Caribbean by Aerials Only featuring the Abacos
Hi Gord,

Last I heard Walkers is closed and up for sale. I believe even the customs office at the airstrip is closed and the officers working next door at Grand Cays.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 06:02   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hi Gord,

Last I heard Walkers is closed and up for sale. I believe even the customs office at the airstrip is closed and the officers working next door at Grand Cays.
Oops!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 06:02   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just rechecked my charts and as far as I can tell the first fuel stop heading east across the banks from West End is Foxtown but only for shallow draft, maybe 4.5'. Deeper draft the closest stop looks like Spanish Cay.

I'm guessing you are in a power boat if you're getting 0.8 mpg. With reserves and allowing for weather I would use a max range of 100-120 nm which would put you about the max to reach Spanish Cay.

Since fuel supplies can sometimes be unreliable in the smaller islands I would call before taking off just to make sure you don't get to a marina and find out they're out of fuel and you're stuck.
Old 15-11-2016, 08:24   #7

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

Best Confirm West End Last I heard there was NO fuel, water or electric as of a week ago because of hurricane Russ
Old 15-11-2016, 08:26   #8

Never been there in a sailboat, but many times fishing and diving in a 30 ft center console.

Walkers is probably still closed. The Bahamian Gov condemned the docks there due to neglect a few years ago and as far as I know until someone buys it and rebuilds, it will remain closed permanently. Have you checked Old Bahama Bay? They probably have fuel if you can get in there draft-wise. If not you may have to jerry can it. Not sure about all that, call them and see.

As far as the Abacos, my favorite is Green Turtle, you can stop off at Nunjack for great diving on the way to GT if you go to Spanish first. Hit Great Guana and go to Nippers on Sunday. If you have time continue down to Elbow to visit Hope Town. Then you can head back up to Marsh Harbor and/or Treasure for a complete circle.

Really, you can't go wrong in the Abacos. IMO, it is the best area of the Bahamas. All it depends on is how much time you have. To do it right and visit everything I mention, you probably need a month.
Byrdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 08:27   #9

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

All services such as food, fuel, places to stay and dockage are available in Grand Cay. Walkers has been up for sale since 2004-5 but airstrip has remained open. Grand Cay has decent anchorage with sandy/grass bottom and some dockage - but best to make arrangements ahead of time to insure slip availability during peak seasons.
I have spent many summers power boating from Walkers back in the day to Hopetown and there are many stops along these areas so you might as well start at the top and work your way down.
My favorite out island area when just staying on the hook is between Double Breasted - Strangers Cay - and Carters Cay. All excellent snorkeling/diving and fishing areas. No services in these areas so must be able to go back to Grand or on to Spanish for supplies.
Looking forward to my return /summer 2017.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 08:28   #10

Boat: Beneteau 423

Here is a review I posted on our charter last spring.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...s.html#REVIEWS

In the Abacos we saw plenty of fuel in Marsh Harbor and Treasure Cay. Water at Treasure Cay was pretty cheap as it was based on the length of boat, not gallons.

Our itinerary was:
Day 1 - Arrive early afternoon and basic check in
Day 2 - Sailing checkout. Sail to and snorkel at Mermaid Reef. Overnight at Matt Lowe's Cay
Day 3 - Sail to Guana Cay. Nippers. Snorkel off the beach. Ask around for the best areas.
Day 4 - Sail Treasure Cay. Afternoon on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.
Day 5 - Morning at Treasure Key for more beach time. Sail to Hope Town for overnight.
Day 6 - Morning on shore at Hope Town. Sail to Tilloo Cay for overnight.
Day 7 - Morning sail to Little Harbour. Lunch at Pete's Pub, and a walk. Sail back to Tahiti Beach.
Day 8 - Morning at Tahiti Beach. Sail to Man O War. Walk around the town, then snorkel off the beach.
Day 9 - Early morning sail, then back to Cruise Abaco for final gas and water, and checkout.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 09:25   #11

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
How about Walker's Cay?

Walkers is dead, and has been for some time.

The good news is that you will get that stamp at Grand (technically little grand) Cay; they were hoping to make it permanent the last time I used it.

Our usual is to bypass West End and go direct to either Grand or Green Turtle. Great Sale is a common waypoint/stopping point for transiting in both directions if you can't handle the total time.

Downside to West End is that you might be trapped there in the event of unhappy weather; we know several folk who had that issue...

Double Breasted is a good place to go for a hurricane hole, if you're shallow enough, but sometimes it's entirely too buggy.

Spanish will ding you severely to tie up there; anchor off the wreck near the cut between Grand and Little Grand, and hug the south shore of that cut to go in; the C&I is in the post office, which is at the end of the road to the right uphill from Rosie's, which has a dinghy dock; be careful not to park under the fish cleaning table!
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 09:47   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi TitanTn,

If you're planning a trip to the Bahamas I highly recommend buying a couple of guidebooks. They are really a help in planning and essential in navigating when you get there.

First and I would call essential is the Explorer Chartbooks for the Near Bahamas. The Explorer charts are consistently the most detailed and accurate. Then to supplement that get one of the guidebooks that gives details on the local resources like marinas, fuel stops, water, towns to visit, restaurants, etc. There are several and not sure which is currently the best.

Waterway Guide Bahamas edition http://www.waterwayguide.com/shipsto...roducts_id=243

The Yachtsman's Guide to the Bahamas. 2016 Yachtsmans Guide to the Bahamas, Yachtsmans Guide

Steve Pavlidis' guide https://www.seaworthy.com/bahamas-s/106.htm
Old 15-11-2016, 10:04   #13

Boat: magna 43

If fuel is your concern go to West End. that should be the most dependable source. Over night at Great Sail then you can get to Spanish, Green Turtle, or Treasure. All the islands have beautiful water and beaches. Treasure has the best market and Marsh harbor has a hardware store that has everything. all you need is time and money. leave from Lauderdale and don't fight the Stream. Pick a good day and leave early
david knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 10:14   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

FYI, I looked at a previous post and the OP has a 30' twin gas engine power boat. Boat go fast, fuel go fast, range not so much.

Fuel stops will set the agenda for the trip unless he decides to go displacement speeds to extend the range.
Old 15-11-2016, 10:25   #15

Boat: C&C

I would jump straight to Rosie's at Little Grand as long as you don't have in excess of 5 ft draft, then onto Spanish. Both have Customs to accommodate your arrival in the Bahamas and purchase a cruising permit. Allan's Pensacola is a nice anchorage also, with great snorkelling and beach on the outside. Then, Green Turtle in Black Sound, Donny's offers good moorings and wifi cheap! Explore New Plymouth and resupply if necessary. Then, through the Whale to Treasure and Great Guana Cay for both Nipper's and Grapper's!!!
As mentioned, get the Waterways Cruising Guide to the Bahamas. They usually have an online deal on or near Black Friday. Enjoy!!!
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abaco, route