Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2016, 13:35   #16

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: Need help with route planning - Abacos

As others have said draft permitting you can get fuel at the Grand Cays but based on your stated fuel capacity you really have no need to.

It's less than 50 NM from West End to Double Breasted, and from there less than 60 down the cays to Green Turtle, even less to Coopers or Spanish. This is all well within your 200+ NM fuel capacity. You can also stop into Fox Town about 40 NM down the chain from Double Breasted.

If you fill up at West End when you are there (very convenient), I see no reason based on what you have said why poking your way through the northern cays should present any fuel concerns at all.

To the best of my knowledge these are the places you can get fuel as you head from West End, south through the Abacos:

West End (Grand Bahama)
Grand Cays (Northern most fuel option in Abaco Cays)
Fox Town (Little Abaco)
Spanish Cay
Cooper's Town (Abaco)
Green Turtle Cay
Treasure Cay
Marsh Harbour (Abaco)
Man-O-War Cay
Elbow Cay

A few other thoughts:

You go right past the fuel dock at WE, so it's very easy to get fuel there. Grand Cays is less straight forward, but nothing I found difficult. The anchoring in the harbor in Grand Cays has a hard marl bottom - not the best. There are possible anchorages outside as well as slips available. The anchoring around the famous sand spit in Double Breasted can be very challenging if it's windy and visibility isn't good. It's very easy to anchor off Stranger's in the right conditions. Many of the anchorages in the Carter's Cays can be a bit tricky. Ruins of an old missile tracking station can still be found there however. Great Sale is fairly straight forward. Paw Paws a hard to approach and not much there. A nice beach off the Fish Cays, Beware of current between the cays. Umbrella has a descent beach, easy to anchor off of, depending on wind direction. Allan's-Pensacola is a classic stop Path to beach side. Hog Cays - one old ruin, but challenging in there. There is an Anchorage off Great Abaco/Crab that's protected in prevailing conditions. Lots of cocunuts on shore. Spanish has the Marina. Cooper's Town is small, but has a dock, fuel and small grocery story. Powell is a nice uninhabited Island directly across. Great trial walking and long beach walking on Maniac which has 3 main anchorages to choose from. Green Turtle is home to the quaint town of New Plymouth and is my personal favorite town in the Abacos. South of that No Name has a n okay beach and "wild" pigs. The beach at the north end of Great Guana is nice and one can swim from it to the reef in a couple minutes. Spoil can be a place to anchor on your own as can Water. Treasure Cay has resort stuff and shops. Good snorkeling off Foul Cay. Marsh Harbour is good for provisioning., good all weather anchoring crew changes as well as any boat problems. Man-O-War is dry, strong boat building industry. Hope Town has a nice harbor is quant and of course has the light house. Exploring the creek behind Deep Sea by dinghy can be fun. Nice beaches on a couple of the Pelican Cays, Little Harbour is home to Pete's Place and the foundry.

The Explorer charts / Garmin are much more accurate. If you don't have a Garmin, I recommend the Garmin app for iPad/Iphone. Of course you can buy the paper Explorer charts as well.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 13:48   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

30' Powerboat, I'm going to guess draft is pretty shallow
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 14:10   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
It's less than 50 NM from West End to Double Breasted, and from there less than 60 down the cays to Green Turtle, even less to Coopers or Spanish. This is all well within your 200+ NM fuel capacity. You can also stop into Fox Town about 40 NM down the chain from Double Breasted.
I think you misread the OP. I believe he said 200 gallons capacity, consumption 0.8 nm/gallon. That would give a range to empty of 160 nm.

The OP is from TN and I'm assuming the consumption data is derived from boating on lakes where it is relatively calm and minimal winds. In the ocean punching into waves that would drop a bit, maybe a good bit depending on wind and sea conditions. Until I verified fuel consumption in the ocean I would plan on less that 160 nm range to empty. If you figure range to empty of 120-140 nm plus at least 1/4-1/3 tank for reserves that gives a usable range that could be as low as 80 nm but probably more like 100 nm.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 14:27   #19

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I think you misread the OP. I believe he said 200 gallons capacity, consumption 0.8 nm/gallon. That would give a range to empty of 160 nm.
You are right I did misread that. My bad. Thanks for correcting my error. Still the aprox 110NM from from WE to Double Breasted to the New Plymouth area is well within that with possible stops at Fox Town, Coopers or Spanish before that if needed.

I'm not saying he shouldn't stop at the Grand Cays if he wants to play it conservative, I'm just saying there are other options down the Cays that should be well within his cruising range.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 14:28   #20

Boat: Mainship 430,53'

If you will send me your e-mail I will send you my logs for the last trip (two months) with my 50' trawler. arthur.neilson@neilsonassociates.com
Fox Den is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 19:25   #21

Wow. Where to begin with all of these great comments! Thanks for all of the input.

Yes, I'm on a 30' powerboat, so the .8 mpg is unfortunately accurate. It's also correct that I'm from TN and the fuel numbers are based on fuel flow meters, and I've fudged it from 1.0 to .8 to attempt to make up for lake versus normal ocean conditions.

I currently have the Dodge Cruising Guide and for Christmas I'm getting the Explorer paper charts and the Explorer chart plotter data. I'm just a little anxious to plan our my route and I'm trying to learn all I can.

I had heard about Walkers Cay being closed which is really what started me on this line of questioning. That, and I would love to visit Double Breasted and Strangers Cay, but I want make sure I'm well within my fuel range.

I'm definitely going as far as Green Turtle, but depending on how much time I may or may not spend on the north end - I might go down to Marsh Harbor.

I'm definitely stopping at West End to check in and fill up. I'm not against running at displacement speeds at times to save some fuel, but watching my new fuel meters seems to show that it's not really that much more efficient. So I'll be filling up often and I'll be carrying extra fuel in jerry cans as well.
TitanTn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 04:14   #22

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Ah. Not until after Christmas. That makes it a bit different.

What is it you think you'd like to do (different strokes, etc.)?

That time of year is a bit cooler that far north, and diving will want some form of covering (if immersion, you already knew that) to avoid chilling, but makes for glorious walks on the beach or up and down the streets in the occupied islands.

Your interest in Double Breasted made me wonder about your interest areas, as there's not much there, other than that lovely little hurricane hole - of which you likely won't have any need at that time of year.

The northern Abacos is chock-a-block with exploration opportunities, and your speed would make the north component of the Stream a non-event. Yogu might find it effective to get on-stream (for the lift) and buzz off at Lake Worth for fuel top-up, and then bomb it directly to Grand to check in, working your way down-chain from there. With your draft, it will be a non-event to go in (south end) to the harbor to get fuel, and check in, at the same time.

My earlier caution about being stuck in WE still applies...

Have a great time. We may see you when we're over there!
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 05:34   #23

Boat: C&C

If your insistent in checking in at West End, then you should look into joining the Royal Marsh Harbour YC online. You'll cover your costs of membership if you go through there in and out. Plus, there's discounts at various other places as well and even at a liquor store in Marsh Harbour. Great group of power boater's and sailors that will also have various social events while your there. Check out their website and ask what perks are available this year.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 06:03   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
You are right I did misread that. My bad. Thanks for correcting my error. Still the aprox 110NM from from WE to Double Breasted to the New Plymouth area is well within that with possible stops at Fox Town, Coopers or Spanish before that if needed.

I'm not saying he shouldn't stop at the Grand Cays if he wants to play it conservative, I'm just saying there are other options down the Cays that should be well within his cruising range.
I agree. Even with the lower max range calculation there's still plenty of possible stops to get him to the far Abacos, especially with his draft (internet tells me a Searay 300 Weekender draws 2'4").

The other big concern as others have mentioned, is weather. That time of year there's a risk of a cold front hitting which will make crossing the Gulf Stream a no go or leave you stuck in West End. Also could leave you stuck in the Bahamas waiting for weather to get back to the states.

So a strong caution to TitanTn. If you are planing this around a limited schedule due to vacation days from work or either restrictions resist the temptation to "just go for it" to get there or to get home. Make sure you have a bailout plan and be prepared to be late getting back or to leave the boat temporarily in the Bahamas and fly back if necessary. Don't let the need to beat the clock influence your good judgement. I've planned a cruise like this before when the weather didn't cooperate, went with plan B and cruise the FL Keys instead.
Old 16-11-2016, 06:13   #25

I would skip Grand entirely and make the next fuel stop GTC or Spanish. There have been many reports of fuel there being contaminated with water or unavailable at Grand. No way in hell I'd buy more than dingy gas there. The farther south you get into the Abacos the nicer/cooler it gets in my opinion.

Snorkel Sandy Cay and the NE corner of Guana
Albury's Sail Shop on Man o War.
Hopetown lighthouse
Pete's Pub and Foundry
Dinner at Abaco Inn
Conch Chowder at Green Turtle Club
Nippers on Sunday (Good party but the food sucks)
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 07:17   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSMFP View Post
I would skip Grand entirely and make the next fuel stop GTC or Spanish. There have been many reports of fuel there being contaminated with water or unavailable at Grand. No way in hell I'd buy more than dingy gas there.
Excellent advice. Bad fuel can certainly be a concern in the Bahamas. I filled up with tank bottoms and sludge in Freeport on a cruise years ago and it was a huge pain to deal with when it manifested a couple hundred miles south.

OP might want to invest in a fuel filter/funnel like the Baha Filter or the West Marine version (that was cheaper and rated higher in the Practical Sailor tests).

Also bring a good supply of spare fuel filters.
Old 16-11-2016, 07:26   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
What is it you think you'd like to do (different strokes, etc.)?
We're going to explore, snorkel, and generally hang on the hook. Eventually we'll do some local stuff as we get closer to Green Turtle and Treasure Cay, but that's not the primary interest.

Quote:
That time of year is a bit cooler that far north, and diving will want some form of covering
I'm going in late May or early June. I think it's supposed to be a little warmer by then.

Quote:
The northern Abacos is chock-a-block with exploration opportunities, and your speed would make the north component of the Stream a non-event. Yogu might find it effective to get on-stream (for the lift) and buzz off at Lake Worth for fuel top-up, and then bomb it directly to Grand to check in, working your way down-chain from there. With your draft, it will be a non-event to go in (south end) to the harbor to get fuel, and check in, at the same time.
I think this is my base plan with the idea that if there's fuel somewhere near Double Breasted - I could head there from West End and then head down through the chain. I am attracted to the slightly more remoteness of the northern part of the chain for the exploring opportunities, but I know it'll all be great.

Quote:
Have a great time. We may see you when we're over there!
Thanks for your help. I'll keep an eye out for you! We have AIS and the boat name is Project Cruise.
Old 16-11-2016, 07:41   #28

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

We will be back in the US by then, due to commitments in May.

Maybe next time
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 07:45   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannacat View Post
If your insistent in checking in at West End, then you should look into joining the Royal Marsh Harbour YC online. You'll cover your costs of membership if you go through there in and out. Plus, there's discounts at various other places as well and even at a liquor store in Marsh Harbour. Great group of power boater's and sailors that will also have various social events while your there. Check out their website and ask what perks are available this year.
Excellent advice. Thanks. I'll look into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
So a strong caution to TitanTn. If you are planing this around a limited schedule due to vacation days from work or either restrictions resist the temptation to "just go for it" to get there or to get home. Make sure you have a bailout plan and be prepared to be late getting back or to leave the boat temporarily in the Bahamas and fly back if necessary. Don't let the need to beat the clock influence your good judgement. I've planned a cruise like this before when the weather didn't cooperate, went with plan B and cruise the FL Keys instead.
It will not be a long trip (a week) if everything goes as planned. But I'm prepared to sit out any weather issues for as long as it takes. So I'm expecting the trip to be between 1 and 3 weeks depending on weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSMFP View Post
I would skip Grand entirely and make the next fuel stop GTC or Spanish. There have been many reports of fuel there being contaminated with water or unavailable at Grand. No way in hell I'd buy more than dingy gas there. The farther south you get into the Abacos the nicer/cooler it gets in my opinion.
I could, but I'd definitely miss the remoteness and exploring opportunities of the Double Breasted and Stranger Cays. And while I'm cogniscent of bad fuel issues, there will be times I need to take a risk and add fuel. I have a strong supply of extra fuel filters.
Old 16-11-2016, 19:44   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanTn View Post
I'm going in late May or early June. I think it's supposed to be a little warmer by then.
If you can wait until August, crawfish season starts and the islands are a little less laid back. At least where we were
Byrdman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abaco, route