Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2017, 10:07   #1

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Cruising eastern Canada

We plan to cruise Eastern Canada this summer, coming up from the carib. OUr timing looks like we'll be in northern Maine around June 1st and we plan to cruise canada until the end of summer.

Questions

1- What are the entry rules for ueropean boats/citizens (danish) - we B-2 visa to the us , do we need visas for cruising canada?
2- What's the best cruising guide for Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island (not sure if we will make Newfoundland)
3- Weather - is June too early?
4- any other help is appreciated

carsten

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 11:09   #2

Boat: Little Harbor 38
Re: Cruising eastern Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
We plan to cruise Eastern Canada this summer, coming up from the carib. OUr timing looks like we'll be in northern Maine around June 1st and we plan to cruise canada until the end of summer.

Questions

1- What are the entry rules for ueropean boats/citizens (danish) - we B-2 visa to the us , do we need visas for cruising canada?

2- What's the best cruising guide for Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island (not sure if we will make Newfoundland)

3- Weather - is June too early?

4- any other help is appreciated

carsten

The best guides are CCA Cruising Guide to the Nova a Scotia Coast and A Cruising Guide to Nova Scotia by Peter Loveridge. For Maine get A Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast by Taft.

June might be a bit early for Canada, why don't you cruise Maine in June. We usually get to Nova Scotia in early July and it is usually fine temperature wise by then.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 11:12   #3

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Not sure about visas but check the Canadian government website for visitors. If you can make it to Newfoundland, even at the expense of Nova Scotia and PEI. We have visited around 40 countries on our boat and no other cruising ground is as fascinating as Newfoundland. You need to be very self-sufficient since most of the former fishing villages (outports) have now been abandoned. You will need radar and warm clothes. When we were on the south shore of Newfoundland in mid-summer we never saw 20C, although it was not much cooler at night. Go with June 1 but be prepared for nippy temps (or gorgeous weather).
Old 17-01-2017, 10:45   #4

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Not sure about visas but check the Canadian government website for visitors. If you can make it to Newfoundland, even at the expense of Nova Scotia and PEI. We have visited around 40 countries on our boat and no other cruising ground is as fascinating as Newfoundland. You need to be very self-sufficient since most of the former fishing villages (outports) have now been abandoned. You will need radar and warm clothes. When we were on the south shore of Newfoundland in mid-summer we never saw 20C, although it was not much cooler at night. Go with June 1 but be prepared for nippy temps (or gorgeous weather).
Thank you

we'd love to get to Newfoundland - but it might be just a bit too far. re the temps - we're from Denmark so we're used to cold and wet

anybody know anything about entry requirements for EU citizens/boats?

carsten

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 18-01-2017, 01:47   #5

As another resource there is a Facebook page called 'Cruising & Sailing: Maritime Canada' that is reasonably active.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 02:56   #6

Boat: Custom 55

Hi Carsten,

We were pretty happy with the cruising guides. I can't tell you which ones we bought, however. (Boat's in England and I'm in Alaska), but there are only a few choices anyway.

I do remember that one was called 'cruising guide to the Canadian Maritmes', it's a green book, available through Landfall Navigation. It was decent enough.

I know it's far, but I second the advice on Newfoundland. What an utterly amazing, wild, fantastic place that is. Really special. I think that if I had a single season to spend there, I would make tracks for NFLD and give a lot of the spots further south a pass.

You can take a look at the 'Canada' section on our website- svrocketscience.com if you want to get a glimpse into some of the places there. We made a few stops in NS, then went to NFLD, then back to FL in the summer '15, then stopped up there briefly again last year on the trip from USA to Europe.

I don't think June's too early. Foggy and cold, but you hearty Danes won't mind.

TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 03:03   #7

June is fine for arrival in eastern Canada. Boats come out of storage in my area (Saint John, NB) then. Can't help on permits info, check in at first available Customs post once past Trumpland border.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2017, 03:49   #8

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks guys

I check up on all this

carsten

Old 21-01-2017, 11:38   #9

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Thanks guys

I check up on all this

carsten

Link to Cdn customs Travellers - Visitors to Canada

If you use Facebook,join this public group. Check the FILES link at top of group page for many helpful links. https://www.facebook.com/groups/268778300122540/

Enjoy your visit!! / Len

Tags
Canada, cruising