Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2016, 05:03   #1

Boat: Outbound 44
Cats (Felines) entering New Zealand

We will be travelling with our cat - she's already presenting problems with authority in trying to enter the BVI's - I'm wondering where else we might encounter problems and thinking New Zealand may be a tough spot.

Has anyone brought in a cat to New Zealand (and declared it) and what rigmarole did you have to go through?

Our cat never gets off the boat - does that help us in any way?
Outbound 44 #27
Bill Balme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 06:00   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Cats (Felines) entering New Zealand

My info is a bit old, but doubt its better now.

If cat had a microchip readable by NZ (non US standard) a quarantine of 30 days is still required. Otherwise I believe it is 90 days or longer. I believe cost is $20-30 per day.

So in practical terms:
Ditch the cat

Find a family in Tonga or Fiji to cat sit for 6 months

Come up with a good smuggling scheme (there are lots of feral cats in NZ many were under the pier in Whangarei!
Old 29-10-2016, 06:01   #3
Marine Service Provider

The fact the cat doesn't get off the boat means it will be no issue anywhere except maybe Panama but make no difference in NZ
Old 29-10-2016, 06:46   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Balme View Post
We will be travelling with our cat - she's already presenting problems with authority in trying to enter the BVI's - I'm wondering where else we might encounter problems and thinking New Zealand may be a tough spot.

Has anyone brought in a cat to New Zealand (and declared it) and what rigmarole did you have to go through?

Our cat never gets off the boat - does that help us in any way?
As of 17d ago the posted regulations were :https://www.mpi.govt.nz/document-vault/1575

Summary:
-Microchip
-Series of veterinary tests 3mo to 24mo before arrival. (That means multiple visits to an approved(?) vet)
-Only have visited the list of approved countries and islands (see pg 5&6) in the last 6 months.
-There may be breed restrictions on cats, not sure how it applies to cats on boats.
-Prior application to import
-Prior warning of arrival
-Arrival only at specific ports
-10d or more quarantine

There are special arrangements for pets arriving by yacht - See pg 13

It looks like if the pet doesn't meet requirements you might be able to remain in country but not land the boat, anchor only, no marina, no haulout. At an anchorage designated by NZ with weekly inspections probably at your expense. And after 6mo you can land. Depends on how your read that section.

My understanding is Australia is similar so bypassing NZ for Australia doesn't get you anything if you are going RTW.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 09:02   #5

Boat: Hartley Fijian 43 ft

We took our cats and dog from Australia to NZ had vet checks from Australia Microchipped no quarantine but OZ is rabies free.
Coming from any where else another story. You may be able to do quarantine on board if you take a mooring for the time required check with NZ authorities they were very good with us years ago. Get a vet to check your cat out and get some paperwork going
captseahawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 10:35   #6

Boat: Island Packet 45
Send a message via Skype™ to basenay

In 1999 we imported our cat into NZ and looking over Adelie's post not much has changed but probably even more expensive. Started with 3 vet visits to boat in Tahiti for rabies blood test sent to France, deworming, defleaing, microchip despite her already having a tatoo, etc . Don't remember exact cost but well over $500 US just to get her ready to enter NZ. Once in NZ 30 day isolation in Auckland which had the only auth. kennel for cats at that tme. Being 1st boat that year with cat on board owner of kennel drove up to Bay of Islands, (?3 1/3 Hrs each way) met with 2 govt agents to pick her up a bring her back to Auck. After us, kennel owner's policy changed to flying cat to Auck. Don't know if he flew up & back or just cat. If not imported required availabilty 24/7/365 for inspection that cat was still onboard. Definitely would interfere with any travel plans. One boat that arrived after us reportedly threw their cat overboard then ran into trouble re: animal cruelty or smuggling of cat as customs was expecting it. Never heard final outcome. We went directly from NZ to OZ and were able to skip importation by having cat seen by vet within 24 hrs of leaving and arriving. Two more dewormings and she picked up fleas in NZ vet office. Health issues lead to delay returning to NZ form US Christmas visit so cat moved from isolation after 30 days to regular kennel for further 90+ days. Peace of mind kept me from keeping cost records for the cat since she was going everywhere we did. During our Pacific crossing many times there were no kid boats near us & my 12 yo daughter informed me "it sad when your cat is your best friend & your 2 nd best friend is a 48 yo guy on another cruising boat."
basenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 11:31   #7

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Things have changed for the better (and much less expense too).

Visiting yachts can bring cats and dogs in to NZ for up to six months without too much hassle. There are two Govt depts. Involved, and you’ll meet officers from each when you arrive to clear in. They are the Ministry of Primary Industries (MPI), and Customs. The MPI is responsible for securing the border from biological nasties like rabbies. And Customs does what Customs does everywhere.

Here are links to the relevant information for pets on visiting cruising yachts:

MPI and cats.

Customs and cats

Hope that this helps you.
Old 29-10-2016, 13:07   #8

It can be done, and it is a bit pricey..But to be fair NZ has a huge Feral Cat problem and they are responsible for the devastation of many of NZ's rare birds..To make thinks even tougher for visiting yachts, NZ has several offshore Island Sanctuaries that contain some of the rarest and endangered birds living in a pest free environment.. Unfortunately most of these Islands are in places where smart yachties want to hang out, so of course there's going to be issues if you have a cat or dog on board..
Folk always say their cats are not like that, but I've seen a cat leap off a yacht and swim 40m to shore, [Took 3 days to catch the damned thing too.] I've seen and cleaned up what happens when a dog or cat gets into an area where theres plenty of birds so sure theres rules but NZ has some unique birds and it would be nice to keep them..
This is interesting...
Pets: New Zealand animal pests and threats
grumpyboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 20:02   #9

It was in 2006 so it may be outdated but we brought our cat from Mexico into NZ. If I remember right, we made sure she was up to date with her shots and had a micro chip from Europe, did that in Papeete.

Same situation too, our cat never left the boat and the officers stopped by a few times to check up she was still in the boat.

No quarantine, nothing crazy like this. Just radioed her in before we arrived and then stopped by at their office.

One warning I have is that even 10 years ago, the officials had a board in their office with ALL boats with animals on it. It was almost creepy, we saw boats on the board that we met across the whole South Pacific, one with a monkey that wasn't even planning to come to NZ.

So bottomline, trying to sneak in an animal I think is not a good idea. The official way is easy and painless and no "dumping your kitty" either like previous mentioned in this thread ;-)

Robert aka Lawur
TheFrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 09:03   #10

Boat: Byliner 3258

I don't know if this pertains to all countries. I suspect it does pertains in North American, you can have an animal (cat dog zebra lion etc) designated as a emotional support animal through a mental health professional. These animals are then covered under the same legislation as a seeing eye dog etc. Facilities such as time shares, hotels then accept these animals.
Hunky Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 09:15   #11

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by basenay View Post
......... During our Pacific crossing many times there were no kid boats near us & my 12 yo daughter informed me "it sad when your cat is your best friend & your 2 nd best friend is a 48 yo guy on another cruising boat."
That is precious - made my morning.
Old 31-10-2016, 04:05   #12

Boat: custom, steel, 34 ft

If you don't want to go through the quarantine problem with your cat there is the possibility to go at anchor or, in Whangarei between the piles mid river. But the fly in the ointment then is you may not travel NZ by boat but need to stay in the first port you chose to enter. So my advise will be :Whangarei.
The Agriculture will inspect the physical presence of the cat once a week (50$NZ,each inspection, you'll find the invoice in your marina mail)-they are adamant but nice people - If you need to haul out on shore you can try to shift the cat to some other cruiser.
We did it for a year this way and it worked fine.
k. michael marquardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 05:37   #13

Boat: Contest 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunky Dory View Post
I don't know if this pertains to all countries. I suspect it does pertains in North American, you can have an animal (cat dog zebra lion etc) designated as a emotional support animal through a mental health professional. These animals are then covered under the same legislation as a seeing eye dog etc. Facilities such as time shares, hotels then accept these animals.
This is actually untrue. There are three laws in the US that relate to Service/Emotional Support animals. The Americans with Disabilities Act, The Fair Housing Act, and The Air Carrier Access Act. There is a huge difference between an Emotional Support Animal, and a Service Animal. Most of the time you can get away with showing a letter of certification for your ESA, because its not worth a lower level employees skin to contest such an "official" looking letter. In reality, most of the companies that offer these ESA letters are not certified by any recognized organization. You can read more about the differences https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...rowing-problem
teddythetwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 17:01   #14

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpyboyz View Post
It can be done, and it is a bit pricey..But to be fair NZ has a huge Feral Cat problem and they are responsible for the devastation of many of NZ's rare birds..To make thinks even tougher for visiting yachts, NZ has several offshore Island Sanctuaries that contain some of the rarest and endangered birds living in a pest free environment.. Unfortunately most of these Islands are in places where smart yachties want to hang out, so of course there's going to be issues if you have a cat or dog on board..
Folk always say their cats are not like that, but I've seen a cat leap off a yacht and swim 40m to shore, [Took 3 days to catch the damned thing too.] I've seen and cleaned up what happens when a dog or cat gets into an area where theres plenty of birds so sure theres rules but NZ has some unique birds and it would be nice to keep them..
This is interesting...
Pets: New Zealand animal pests and threats
Exactly. Cats can eat Kiwis (the bird). A high profile guy (Mr Morgan) got nationwide traction recently with a campaign against cats with a view to improving the prospects for survival of native birds (many of which are unique and endangered). Government announced a target to have the whole country free of bird eating pest animals in ?30 (or 20?) years.

You'd have to guess the prospects for yacht moggies will get tougher.
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 17:50   #15
Marine Service Provider

Yep, as I said plenty around the marina.

Can't quite see spending 6 months on the hook without being able to inland travel.

I hope y'all are putting an equal amount into college funds for you grandchildren as you are blowing on your blasted cats!

Tags
New Zealand