Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2019, 23:50   #1

Boat: Bristol 30
Silly question - sail cover and new sails

I'd been using my old main sail cover that came with the boat just fine. Recently I got a new cruising mainsail with Challengge 7.88 cloth. Its so stuff. I can't flake it very well, especially at the radial patches around the cringles, clew, head and tack.

My old mainsail was so old that it felt like 4-5oz fabric. I had no problem covering it with my cover, which may be designed to be used on the old school roller furling boom (wraps around the boom), though I never used the furler. I always hand-flaked it, tied down, then covered it.

I've been told that eventually with use, the sail will 'break in' and be more cooperative to flaking and stowing.

Right now only the top 1/3 of my sail is covered -- I bungeed and tied down the cover so it'll at least stay on. I'm thinking about getting a canvas tarp to cover it better. It breaks my heart to leave my brand new sail out in the elements.

Should I go ahead and get my cover modified? I do have some sunbrella lying around from a boom tent I no longer use (built a hard bimini). That being said, as it currently sits, I can't imagine any reasonable cover fitting over it. Three reef points and radial reinforcements at the cringles aren't helping.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-04-2019, 20:03   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Silly question - sail cover and new sails

If the sail doesn't come near covering the sail, it's probably time to get a new cover. The new sail will get a bit softer with age but not all that much.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 20:25   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yeah I'd do whatever it takes to cover it or stow it below when not sailing. Sunlight and salt is the enemy of sails... I'd certainly give that old bimini a second shot at life, if it is sufficient.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 19:28   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

Our sailmaker suggested that sail covers can degrade and let a lot of UV through after a few years, even if they continue to keep the rain and the wind off. He stitched another layer of more UV-resistant cloth on the inside of our cover the last time we had it in for a once-over. A new double-layer sail cover may be what you need.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 19:54   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We have some friends who make their own mains'l covers, and use the double layer method, as well. FWIW, the darker sunbrella colors absorb more UV than the outer. I have extended the use of old mainsail covers by opening the center seam, and putting in an insert that then gives the two sides adequate length. The piece to insert winds up being shaped like an elongated kite (because it has to fit the mast end, and be long enough at the boom end, but needs less fabric there). Such a mainsail cover is also easy to make from scratch. Boom bags with lazy jacks, well, look at SailRite's discussion. We have made a boom bag with provision for lazy jacks, what I like best about it is that the bunt is controlled when one is reefed down. And, they have a tidy appearance. Some places you really need air circulation around your stored main, and there, perhaps the open-at-the-bottom mainsail cover is better.

Ann
Old 04-04-2019, 20:07   #6

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

We, really my wife, purchased the sailrite kit, it went together well, lazy jack slits included. We needed it because of our new main sail for our Bristol 29.9, would recommend it to you.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sail cover, sails