Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20-06-2019, 19:19   #1

Boat: 1971 40' Morgan Pilot House
Jacksonville to Bahamas and the Exumas in late December 2019

I am planning a trip to the Bahamas. I live in Jacksonville Florida and will be leaving in December 2019. I want to explore the Exumas! I have three months to explore the islands. I was wanting to get some ideas on crossing the Gulf stream here close to Jacksonville then turn south or should I hang close to shore weather permitting or the ICW to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami then cross over. I would really like to go exploring the Exumas. I could just relax in the Abacos or go to the Eleuthera and beyond.
I will be doing this voyage to see how things go with future plans of a year or longer trip all the way down to South America then turning back west to go along the coastline until we make a large loop back to Florida.
I am looking for Ideas and comments on my idea and what you think.

A little about myself and vessel. I am 51 years of age and love being on the ocean. I was involved in a auto accident a year ago which broke my left foot and ankle and also shattered a vertebrate in my back. I had a fusion of T11 through L4 on my back. I owned my own business up to the point of the accident but I haven't worked since. I am getting around good now with just a cane but do not lift anything heavy. I have sailed from Jacksonville to Key West twice this year.

I have a 1971 40 foot Morgan Pilot House named Spirit of Ol Henry II which has been completely updated and in great condition. I now have a new water maker on board also. There will be two of us on this voyage, myself (Daniel) and my better half I call Lovie (Polly)

We would like to meet other people along the way and possibly if our paths cross buddy boat if possible.

I hope to get some good advice here and ideas of what we can expect that time of year as weather goes and places we need to see.

Thanks

Tags
Bahamas, exumas, jacksonville