Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2016, 23:07   #1

Best Nav course for Australian newbie

Hi all,
I am relatively new to sailing and currently compete in a river and inshore racing series. I have longer term plans to go cruising (5 years) . Live in Perth Western Australia and whilst I am clocking up some sea miles would like to get some navigation qualifications under my belt. Ultimately looking at cruising Australia, Southern Asia, and pacific. Any recommendations for respected and recognised courses?

Thanks
Philippe63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 23:43   #2

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)
Re: Best Nav course for Australian newbie

Welcome to the forum Philippe.

If you were in NSW I would recommend Volunteer Marine Rescue. Some branches conduct inexpensive navigation courses which are quite comprehensive. I did the Basic Navigation course, followed by the Coastal Navigation course (Basic was a prerequisite). I think each course was one night a week for 8 weeks.

However a quick check on Perth equivalent (Sea Rescue) only lists what would appear to be a very fundamental course. Perhaps if you join as a volunteer thay may offer further courses ... I know some work that way in NSW.

Worth a call to enquire, or checking various branches to see if they do it.
Old 21-04-2016, 05:25   #3

Boat: C&C 34
Best Nav course for Australian newbie

Oceanwest in Bunbury run a series of sailing skills courses, both on board practical and online theory. All courses are RYA courses. The Day Skipper course teaches theory of navigation and then the practical on board course puts it all into practice. Once you have done the Day Skipper you can go to Coastal and Yacht Master.

You don't have to do the practical if you just want some instruction on the theory on line.

Contact Gary, great bloke, great teacher. He managed to teach me despite many temptations to give up in despair.

Contact no is 0412 060 130.

PS. I sail a 34' C & C sloop in Mandurah. Anytime you are looking for a ride let me know. We always have a welcome for new crew.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Mandurah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia