Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2018, 06:04   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Collision on the Severn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
You can see the boom has been torn off the mast, good deal everyone is safe. I bet the fwd corner of the mainsail is trashed.

Ann
Sketchy reports say the sailors took action and tried to warn the power boat. The J105 was a club boat. I suspect the charter was on Autopilot. CG is investigating.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 11:31   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Photos I saw shared in a Facebook sailing group today.
Photos show the damage to both boats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C66EF6CB-6540-4015-B66E-6BA117476753.jpeg
Views:	441
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	175694   Click image for larger version

Name:	2EBE6BD6-9E04-4346-A33D-9ACE580B03EE.jpeg
Views:	395
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	175695  

Name:	68D4CF49-10B5-4E47-BD6A-CDB44955F566.jpeg
Views:	430
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	175696  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 12:05   #18

Boat: Leopard 39

Gee, I wonder which was the stand-on vessel. (eye roll)
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 15:13   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
Gee, I wonder which was the stand-on vessel. (eye roll)

Law of tonnage applies. The powerboat had right of way because it was bigger.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 16:09   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Oh come on folks. Stand on ‘cause he was fishin’
Old 18-08-2018, 17:02   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
....and that's GROSS!

[pause]

and that's the Gross Tonnage Rule!
Old 18-08-2018, 17:03   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Oh come on folks. Stand on ‘cause he was fishin’
If he had been fishing, it must have been for jetfish!
Old 18-08-2018, 19:20   #23

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

As usual, it is better to have been the hitter than the hittee, and that the pointy end is stronger than the middle of a boat.

That's a real owie on the poor J boat!

Jim
Old 21-08-2018, 19:39   #24
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Saw this today...

Photos and a first hand account from one of the people on the motorboat that collided with the sailboat.

The posted quote below was originally posted on a SeaRay forum. Most of the comments after the post suggested that the sailboat was motoring or partly at fault or could have been at fault, etc.

winch1995 said:

“Yesterday, I was passenger on a 34' fishing charter out the eastern shore MD below the bridge. We had fished all morning and by noon we headed in. It was brand new dead rise boat, first trip out. 6 passengers plus the Captain.

We were underway for about 10 minutes, and I estimate our speed was around 30 knots.

Visibility was unlimited.

Most of the passengers were hanging out enjoying the ride, and no one was really paying attention the situation on the water.

I was on a port side bench seat, looking toward the stern. Suddenly, a guy yells "WATCH OUT!!!". I spun around to look forward and all I saw was white sail through the windshield.
Then impact. We t-boned a 30' sailboat with 2 guys in the cockpit. We were thrown to the deck. Now we are on top of the sailboat as you can see by the picture below.

Our captain was kind of dazed, so being an experienced boater, I first told everyone to grab a life vest. We did a head count and injury check and nothing serious beyond cuts, scrapes, and bruises. I could not tell what was happening on the sail boat. Anyway, I turned on the marine radio and Mayday'ed. CG answers and I give GPS coordinates. The guys in the sailboat are shaken up but ok (everyone was shaken up but no panic).

So now we are sitting up on top of the sail boat, with our stern precariously close to being swamped. I found the bilge pump switch and turned it on to "auto" but it did not appear to be working. Switch to manual mode and it started pumping water overboard. The switch set up required that you hold the switch down for the pump to work.

Now I'm at the helm holding this fricking switch down, dangerously close to swamping, and I'm thinking if we swamp, I'm gonna be trapped in the cockpit with no way out. It was kind of dicey at that point.

CG arrives about 15 minutes later and transfers the sail boaters to another boat, then they start to transfer the 6 passengers from the charter to another boat. I have to admit that the CG did an awesome job. Once we were all safely transferred, the CG actually went back to the charter boat and retrieved our coolers!!

DNR, Marine Police, Fire Boats, Tow Boats, we had 'em all.

I was kind of surprised that only 1 boater offered assistance.

So, as far as I know, no serious injuries, but we were so lucky in that respect. It could have been a whole lot worse.

For the life of me, I cannot understand how this happened. Broad daylight, Captain was not drinking, etc. One guy said that he thought the sail boat changed tack.

I guess my big lesson is this: Stay far away from all other boats because you don't know what they might do.

Sharing this story reluctantly since the Captain is a good guy, but it's all over the news anyway. As a Captain of your vessel, be alert at all times. Don't put yourself in a situation where you are too close to other boats. As a passenger, be a second set of eyes for the Captain. Give wide berth to other vessels.

Stuff happens fast.

I have this anxiety right now about boating, but I'm gonna go down to my 27' Sun Dancer and do some maintenance work. I'm sure I'll get over it but I'll not forget yesterday.”
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	520D3D0A-B88C-4DFD-846F-EA1123D90645.jpeg
Views:	207
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	175911  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 20:36   #25
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
Saw this today...

Photos and a first hand account from one of the people on the motorboat that collided with the sailboat.

The posted quote below was originally posted on a SeaRay forum. Most of the comments after the post suggested that the sailboat was motoring or partly at fault or could have been at fault, etc.

winch1995 said:

“Yesterday, I was passenger on a 34' fishing charter out the eastern shore MD below the bridge. We had fished all morning and by noon we headed in. It was brand new dead rise boat, first trip out. 6 passengers plus the Captain.

We were underway for about 10 minutes, and I estimate our speed was around 30 knots.

Visibility was unlimited.

Most of the passengers were hanging out enjoying the ride, and no one was really paying attention the situation on the water.

I was on a port side bench seat, looking toward the stern. Suddenly, a guy yells "WATCH OUT!!!". I spun around to look forward and all I saw was white sail through the windshield.
Then impact. We t-boned a 30' sailboat with 2 guys in the cockpit. We were thrown to the deck. Now we are on top of the sailboat as you can see by the picture below.

Our captain was kind of dazed, so being an experienced boater, I first told everyone to grab a life vest. We did a head count and injury check and nothing serious beyond cuts, scrapes, and bruises. I could not tell what was happening on the sail boat. Anyway, I turned on the marine radio and Mayday'ed. CG answers and I give GPS coordinates. The guys in the sailboat are shaken up but ok (everyone was shaken up but no panic).

So now we are sitting up on top of the sail boat, with our stern precariously close to being swamped. I found the bilge pump switch and turned it on to "auto" but it did not appear to be working. Switch to manual mode and it started pumping water overboard. The switch set up required that you hold the switch down for the pump to work.

Now I'm at the helm holding this fricking switch down, dangerously close to swamping, and I'm thinking if we swamp, I'm gonna be trapped in the cockpit with no way out. It was kind of dicey at that point.

CG arrives about 15 minutes later and transfers the sail boaters to another boat, then they start to transfer the 6 passengers from the charter to another boat. I have to admit that the CG did an awesome job. Once we were all safely transferred, the CG actually went back to the charter boat and retrieved our coolers!!

DNR, Marine Police, Fire Boats, Tow Boats, we had 'em all.

I was kind of surprised that only 1 boater offered assistance.

So, as far as I know, no serious injuries, but we were so lucky in that respect. It could have been a whole lot worse.

For the life of me, I cannot understand how this happened. Broad daylight, Captain was not drinking, etc. One guy said that he thought the sail boat changed tack.

I guess my big lesson is this: Stay far away from all other boats because you don't know what they might do.

Sharing this story reluctantly since the Captain is a good guy, but it's all over the news anyway. As a Captain of your vessel, be alert at all times. Don't put yourself in a situation where you are too close to other boats. As a passenger, be a second set of eyes for the Captain. Give wide berth to other vessels.

Stuff happens fast.

I have this anxiety right now about boating, but I'm gonna go down to my 27' Sun Dancer and do some maintenance work. I'm sure I'll get over it but I'll not forget yesterday.”
I'm surprised a charter boat with an professional Captain had the radio off as well as the bilge pump off (rather than auto).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 20:44   #26

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Amazing no one got hurt
That should buff out.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2018, 22:51   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Original post deleted, but the comments are amusing

Please delete | Club Sea Ray
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 02:26   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
Saw this today...

My favorite comment from the thread:

"The vast majority of members are lake or river boaters who are not required to operate by the navigation rules and likely don't even know what "colregs" refers to."

"...not required to operate by the navigation rules...!!!"

Y'all be careful out there.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 05:38   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill352 View Post
My favorite comment from the thread:

"The vast majority of members are lake or river boaters who are not required to operate by the navigation rules and likely don't even know what "colregs" refers to."

"...not required to operate by the navigation rules...!!!"

Y'all be careful out there.
I went to the power boat site and read through about the first thirty or so posts. It is a lot of the usual power boat - sail boat ranting and speculation. It gets real interesting at about Post 25. I look forward to the official CG report. So fortunate the boats were the only casualties.
Old 22-08-2018, 07:03   #30
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I've always thought the power/sail animosity thing was like driving cars in traffic; 98% don't have a problem and 2% get rage over nothing.

Tags
collision