Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2018, 17:57   #46

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Collision on the Severn

My observation:

It is unfortunately a common practice for fast m/vs to approach far too close to slow moving craft, even when they are alert and on watch and in control. Further, said slow moving craft, especially sailboats in light airs, have limited ability to maneuver quickly to avoid the oncoming vessel. When the approaching boat is making 30 knots, the time window between normal standing on and taking evasive action is damn short.

I think condemning the skipper of the J boat is harsh treatment, and I'm not at all sure that I could have done any better at avoiding the crash. And the "five or more blasts"... really? Does anyone think that the sort of sound signal that is practical on a small racing yacht would have penetrated the noise barrier of wound up engine(s) and yakking customers at a distance great enough to do any good? I sure don't!

In short, I see the blame being nearly entirely on the m/v, and think some serious sanctions should be applied to the skipper. He is most fortunate not to be brailed up on negligent manslaughter charges.

Jim
Old 01-09-2018, 04:31   #47

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Well there you go. The stand on boat failed to maneuver to avoid a collision with the give way boat.

That article doesn't confirm that.

-Chris
Old 01-09-2018, 06:17   #48

Boat: Valiant 40

I’m familiar with the area in question. It can be quite crowded with traffic buzzing in and out of the South River.

And, as a sailor you learn to live with charter fishing boats. Both are generally respectful of each other, but it’s not uncommon to have a charter whiz by and it’s generally no big deal.

My point is that by the time the 105 crew realized a collision was even possible it could likely have been too late to take any action to avoid it. As mentioned it looked like a calm day. If the charter was moving at 25 knots, occupants behind the pilot house I really doubt they would hear the air horn until a moment or two before impact.

There’s that video of the guys in the bass boat getting run over by the big convertible. It shows how the time between 1) of course he sees us and is going to alter course to 2) omg he doesn’t see us to 3) impact is much shorter than you think at that closing speed.

Tags
collision