Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2012, 14:16   #1

Boat: Prout Event 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie_Sequoia
Update from the Sea of Cortez

I debated whether to write up a little blurb or not, and decided that I would have benefited by reading something similar just over a year ago so here it goes. Short and sweet

A year ago we threw everything that we didn't sell into a shipping container (to store) back in Australia, flew to Mexico and bought a 34 foot Prout. We are a young couple in our early thirties with a (now) two year old.

We've since cruised the Sea of Cortez as a family and have such an amazing year I just wanted to let some other young families know how easy it has been.

We've cruised about a thousand miles or so in the Sea, spending very little - often $300 - $500 per month (there were a couple months in La Paz which ran to about $1000 when I was replacing rigging and doing some work... but $500 would still be our average).

Our son has shown nothing but joy at our life change and is well balanced (and has good balance ) and loves sailing, kayaking and fishing with dad and playing at the beach.

The villages and towns in the Sea of Cortez (along the Baja and Sonora) are safe and extremely family friendly. Fresh food is readily available as is fresh water.

The hardest part (as always) was getting out the front door! It's been easy, cheaper than expected and a most wholesome family experience.

I'd recommend it to anyone contemplating a shift. We committed to a year (I wanted to spend some time off work to be with my son) and now were most likely going to cross the Pacific back to Australia which will take another year.

Go for it!

If anyone would like a link to our family blog with some photos you can PM me. I don't feel like sharing our life with the whole world... but if it helps another family get out the door...
Aussie_Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 15:23   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Update from the Sea of Cortez

Nice post, Aussie, and one which echoes what we've seen over the years of folks cruising with their children. It's good for everyone involved and invariably produces superior kids.

Good onya, and enjoy the voyage back home... if you can really tear yourself away, that is!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 15-08-2012, 15:40   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41

Great post Aussie. I spent a few weeks in the Sea of Cortez with my family. I wish I had been clever enough to figure out how to do a full year. Please PM me with your blog. I loved the Sea and want to go back down.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 15:48   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Great ,with all the negative reports on other crusing areas,I,am glad to hear of your great experience,wish I,had your nerve to do the same when I,was 30.
FairDinkum Mate
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 13:09   #5

Boat: Pearson Triton 28

Great to hear your report after a year of cruising, as we're just beginning our year long adventure. From what we've seen so far, the Sea of Cortez has been nothing short of incredible and we've yet to feel unsafe at any time in San Carlos, Gauymas or Empalme. Hope the hiatus in the states is treating you guys well.
p.s. we got our boat in the water this morning, at long last...
-Mark and Katie (S/V Selkie) in San Carlos
Old 19-08-2012, 21:51   #6

Boat: Morgan 41 O/I

Thanks for your post, Aussie. We have been contemplating spending 6-12 months in Mexico with our 3.5 year old, but have been worried about safety issues. These are the kinds of reports that put my mind more at ease. I appreciate the feedback. Fair winds!
Old 20-08-2012, 02:38   #7

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

We spent six months in the Sea of Cortez last year...We made it all the way up to Puerto Penasco (40 miles from the Colorado River).

The place is so beautiful it is hard to describe with words...

Enjoy your time in the Sea there is nothing else like it!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 10:28   #8

Thank you for your post I really needed to hear that today. Our family is in the middle of trying sale our house pack up and sail for a year. Our families have been less than supportive. We are thinking the Bahamas but keep hearing such good things about Mexico. Can you please PM me your blog I would love to read it. We are a family of 4 (two boys ages 4 and 8) with no sailing experience but have tons on motorboat experience on the ocean. My husband is a diesel machanic and can fix pretty much anything so I am hoping that will cut our expenses down. I see you have a Prout we really like the cat but just don't think we can afford it. Good luck and thanks for posting such a positive post!
Rebekahnorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 10:41   #9

Boat: CORBIN 39

have you run acoss Gary and Genie Didonato? been sailing "latest caper" for the last 20+ years there
sailr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 10:51   #10

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'

This is what we experienced just this summer with our girls(ages 4 & 19mo). We spent at least 4 days on the boat every week and totally understand and get the magic of well balanced children. Its a lifestyle change we want to explore and give our girls now while they are young. We will be moving on our boat by Aug1 then plan to leave to head south after the Annapolis boat show.
TheLostGirlsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 11:00   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

aussie--do you plan on doing any of the western mexico coastal areas south of mazatlan??

gulf of california provides many beautiful areas, all desert oriented. i chose not to go there, preferring the mainland west coast.

all of mexico with very few exceptions is safe. border mexican towns are not safe.

dinghies and engines for same are not safe in mazatlan, unfortunately, unless in the marina complex. sad.

banderas bay is lovely and always has good sailing weather with 15-25 kts in afternoons.

barra de navidad is a good place for summer storm protection. didnt find or experience the thieving i heard rumors about.

zihuatenejo is awesome in winter, when the weather is perfect and has protection from all swells except from south, wherefrom this bay opens. no thieves. wind in afternoon 5-14 kts, daily. niice.

la violencia has been placed onhold by the new regime, and there have been zero heard gunshots anymore--awesome.

anyone afraid to cruise mexico is doing self a dis-service. is awesome here and folks cater to the tourist income as there is not much of late--tourism is waaay down, causing mexican economy to suffer, and families to become hungry.

san felipe, if one disturbs a tourist, that soul is publicly shamed in back of a nice open pick up truck driven by and owned by the san felipe policia..lol (works.)

mexico is a heaven for cruisers. safe, cheap, except for haulout in certain yards, with gorgeous scenery and history.

of course, for those who actually believe that which they read in sensationalist newspapers, dont bother--we will enjoy nicely without you here.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 11:20   #12

Great post. It's exactly how I felt after my first year in the Sea of Cortez!
"Thank you for your post I really needed to hear that today. Our family is in the middle of trying sale our house pack up and sail for a year. Our families have been less than supportive. We are thinking the Bahamas but keep hearing such good things about Mexico...."
Hard to chose between the Bahamas and the Sea. I prefer the Bahamas myself. The anchorages are much closer together, the water is warmer and clearer. You dont get those terrible Northers in the winter. But the Sea is a great wild place.... just different!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 12:46   #13
Marine Service Provider

I appreciate that to people who have had nothing bad happen to them that it may seem completely safe wherever they may be. However, bad things do happen to tourists in mexico. I flew to Manzanillo instead of taking my boat, a True North 34, because it was not ready to sail with the Baha Haha group. I visited a friend with a nice house in Las Brisas which sits between Manzanillo Centro and Santiago. Late in the evening of Jan 3rd a burglar entered the house, robbed me of mucho pesos that were hidden in my camera backpack inside a closet and then took a butcher knife and ripped my throat open. He would not leave as I was bleeding out. finally got him out and a taxi rushed me to hospital and surgery. they have not caught him. he hit this house because the outside security was not quite as good as the neighbors. I am lucky to be alive. I was not on a boat, I was in a house on the beach in the hotel zone area. the fact of the matter is, a lot of Mexicans see gringos as sources of money, period. there are a lot of poor hungry people in mexico. there are a lot of druggies also. the gringos with the weakest security are hit first. there is violence in Mexico. I am sorry to have to be negative and only do it for balance and of course reality.
chebba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 13:19   #14

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Great post!
Please PM your Blog, we plan to do Sea of Cortez by land and sea.
Thanks
Erika
Old 25-01-2013, 13:28   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

chebba--sorry about your negative experience.

your statement about the weakest ones being the target-- i think you are not accurate in this. there is a profile that targets fit--as a weak one, i dont have and have not had any problem in mexico on mainland. as a disabled woman, one would think i would be,as you state, a perfect target. that is not correct.

contribute to the economy, practice safety measures, as all travelers world wide should do and many do not....and do not flaunt your wealth.
practice random acts of kindness--not all the kids are able to eat fruit here--i buy fruit and hand it out. fruit i s very cheap.

sorry to hear of your difficulties--but it is not like that everywhere.
have fun and enjoy living.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sea of cortez