Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2013, 17:53   #61

Re: Update from the Sea of Cortez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Thank you and good post
I am on my way south in the fall. It is what it is. I listen to the wonderful adventures of sailors in Mx, as well as people who find themselves in the wrong circumstances at the wrong time. I only got my hair up when someone wanted to win a conversation accusing someone of being a racist. That is a powerful word that should be well thought out and used sparingly.
While I'm in Mx, I will use the same common sense I use anywhere I go. Look, listen and think. It has worked so far.
Okay, I think I've been pretty reasonable and respectful in my responses here, and this will be my last one on this subject. I have no interest in "winning" this conversation or any for that matter - the idea is ludicrous. I was contributing to a discussion which I felt was veering wildly from the OPs intention, but specifically I reacted to a particular post I found to be inflammatory and yes, racist. Your definition of racism may differ from mine, so be it.

I find the focus/ attempt to dismiss my argument because of my use of the word "racist" really interesting. And disappointing frankly. Why is it that my choice to use the word "racist" in describing the language of a specific comment has met with more negative attention than all the hateful words and ideas expressed by other people on this thread in their characterizations of Mexico and Mexicans?! It boggles the mind. Really.

I think it's important to talk about racism. I don't think it's a word we should be afraid of using and defining and redefining. I think you give undue and damaging power to things which you don't name. Only by bringing them into the light can you overcome the fear. Hmmmmm fear. thats kind where this thread went wrong in the first place wasn't it? Inflicting fear and dire consequences into an otherwise lovely, positive thread. Sigh.

My apologies to the OP. I won't post on this topic again. I'm really glad you had a great time in the Sea of Cortez! My husband and I plan to go cruising there ourselves in the next few years.
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 18:31   #62

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Original Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
My uncle was murdered, yes murdered, in Puerto Cistos (sp), south of San Felipe. He had lived on leased acreage for over 10 yrs. One day, bright and early, he supposedly drove his 4 wheeler off a bluff and onto the beach. "They" said, he was drunk. The thing is, he never touched a drop in his life.

What he did do, he flashed money. He built a church, he built several homes for the nationals. He bought water tanks for several families in the area. He was, bottom line, generous with his pension. For this he lost his life. And "they" tried to cover up his murder with all kinds of rational.

They is the murderous neighbor who hold the perception that gringos drip with money.

Cruisers by their very nature do not stay long in a port. Even if they should stay long, measured in months not yrs, they are fairly isolated by physical locale, anchored out or in secured marina, so are not privy to the real goings on.

Even when I and my B-I-L and our wives went to collect Uncle Ed's belongings, we were treated to suspicious eyes. They knew and we knew, the gringos, even with a lease, have no legal standing in even Baja. I knew I looked into the eyes of his murderers and they only smiled as they served us great heaps of fresh shrimp dinners and endless supplies of cervesa. If I thought I could have gotten away with it I would have blasted those lying devils full of holes. They knew it as did I that I couldn't have gotten away. Behind their smiles was laughing.

Make no mistake, dear cruiser, you are only tolerated for your wealth. Drop your guard for a second and you will be robbed or more. What Chebba says is not isolated.
[QUOTE=terminalcitygrl;1144244]Okay, I think I've been pretty reasonable and respectful in my responses here, and this will be my last one on this subject. I have no interest in "winning" this conversation or any for that matter - the idea is ludicrous. I was contributing to a discussion which I felt was veering wildly from the OPs intention, but specifically I reacted to a particular post I found to be inflammatory and yes, racist. Your definition of racism may differ from mine, so be it.

I find the focus/ attempt to dismiss my argument because of my use of the word "racist" really interesting. And disappointing frankly. Why is it that my choice to use the word "racist" in describing the language of a specific comment has met with more negative attention than all the hateful words and ideas expressed by other people on this thread in their characterizations of Mexico and Mexicans?! It boggles the mind. Really.

I think it's important to talk about racism. I don't think it's a word we should be afraid of using and defining and redefining. I think you give undue and damaging power to things which you don't name. Only by bringing them into the light can you overcome the fear. Hmmmmm fear. thats kind where this thread went wrong in the first place wasn't it? Inflicting fear and dire consequences into an otherwise lovely, positive thread. Sigh.
/QUOTE]
Sorry you're disappointed. Trust me...you'll get over it. Also correct about discussing racism when it arises...which I don't believe it did. rather a Nephew who lost his Uncle under suspicious circumstance (according to him). and yes...your definition of racism is still a stretch. Thank you for your last comment...

...from Merriam-Webster
Definition of RACISM

: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 18:55   #63

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

I want to hear more about this murder in Puertocitos. We had a place down there for over 20 years - never heard about any murder - alot of old gringos dying of old age - but a murder? When did this happen?

I think I'll go back to Vietnam - probably safer there!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 20:59   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i never said that. i agree we should all be careful. one doesnt walk around in lost angeles without guard being active. same with any other locale on this planet. there is danger in all parts of this planet...
+1. We spent a year and a half in the Pacific side of Mexico & Sea of Cortez. We also never had a problem. We took big buses from Tijuana down to La Paz & back, I (blonde,female so I don't blend much) rode small local buses alone in cities going shopping, we drove across the border & walked across the border from the bus station- never had a problem. I spoke enough Spanish to be understood and understand others. . That doesn't mean I think there aren't problems. I go places in the daytime hours generally and kept my eyes open. But I do that in the US also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostalli View Post
Eeeeverybody's got a story. There is more crime in Venice (where I live) than Baja Mexico.
jostalli-we just moved from the Venice area to Long Beach. People on our dock in Marina del Rey had a dingy stolen & another an outboard stolen. We lived on board so maybe not an easy mark or maybe just luck-or maybe it was that crazy high freeboard made it easier on the other two that had much less-easier to remove things!

I don't go out late at night often. There are stabbings, shootings, robberies etc. here too. I follow the same safety that I used in Mexico here in the LA area. I'm sorry for those who have had bad things happen- but I'm not sure it is only a Mexico thing.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:12   #65

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat

Hello Folks,

At the risk of going a bit off topic, I would like a bit of advice from you folks on this thread... I have the opporunity to finally fullfill my dream of taking my Ks and wife on a cruise, our plan would be to start in the Nordics and head to Turkey in year one then to Japan on year 2 ending up back on the West Coast of the USA.

My Kids G -13 & B-11 are the most home bodied kids I have ever seen... we don't have TV but they do spend a lot of time on other gagits and playing games on the Internet... both are AP Straight A students so no complaints in that regard. Neither one wants to leave their comfortable life in the Burbs for the great unknown... So I will be to some degree forcing them into this process...

Did anyone else start off on this wrong foot and how did it work out... did they end up loving it or hating you for doing this to them...

I am really wrestling with this at the moment but will have to pull the trigger in 30 days.

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:49   #66
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

My experience is kids that don't want to go poison the wife which kills the venture. I have seen the wife poison the kids as well. I would not "pull the trigger" on a 50' boat unless you are sure it's going to work.

Take a 2 week charter. that's different than cruising, but will give you an idea how things work for your family. If your kids have no cruising experience, I would say they are a bit old by now.
Old 11-02-2013, 13:11   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

capcook
This really should have gone in a new thread.

Assuming the "Nordics" are Scandanavia and you're planning to go through the Bay of Biscay to the Mediterranean then Turkey and then on through the Suez Canal, up to Japan and then across the Pacific to the West Coast of the USA then this would be a challenge for an experienced crew and a well sorted boat.

You do know that there are still active pirates (and likely very hungry ones at that) off Somalia and the Horn of Africa?

Few manage such a voyage in less than 3 years. Many take 10 years or more.

Forcing your family onto a boat away from their family, friends and school is not going to work. Doing it as a single hander may be possible in a smaller boat.

If you want to have a look at real world cruising check out the blogs on sailblogs.com.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 19:44   #68

Thanks Boatguy and Boracay,

Ya probably should have started a new thread... may put a slightly different angle on this and start again, but appreciate the input.

The plan would be coastal saling along the south of Norway & Finland starting first of June, then down the Northern European coast, across the channel to GB... then south to the "Rock" by mid-late November... it is probably too aggressive isn't it.... then the idea was go along the northern Med and end up in Turkey by June...

The boat would then be transported to Austrailia and launced in time to watch the New Years fire works over Sydney harbor.... Then up to Japan by Summer... again, probably too aggressive.. eh..

Well, maybe I can bribe them

Thanks again for your input...

Cheers
Old 12-02-2013, 05:45   #69
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

What service are you looking at for the trip from Turkey to Sydney? You would certainly miss a lot of nice cruising, but obviously be free of danger. I am thinking about an East-about cruise myself, but the Gulf of Aden is a big problem.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:29   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
What service are you looking at for the trip from Turkey to Sydney? You would certainly miss a lot of nice cruising, but obviously be free of danger. I am thinking about an East-about cruise myself, but the Gulf of Aden is a big problem.

I was thinking of just hiring a delivery captain and have him go in one of the convoys... but there are some sail-on's available... so we will have to weigh the pros and cons...

We plan to visit parts of that ME /Africa & India region by flying in depending on safety concerns...
Old 28-02-2013, 21:19   #71

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

The best part is the fun!

Dolphin Surfing, Woman Wakeboarding with Dolphins as seen on TV (WORLDWIDE!!) - YouTube
Old 01-03-2013, 05:27   #72
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

best part of sea of cortez at this time of year is the condition of gentle winds, now about 30-50 mph from the north as one attempts to gain way in gulf of california--lovely northers--they are strong until june or july, then they mellow out a tad....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:34   #73

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
best part of sea of cortez at this time of year is the condition of gentle winds, now about 30-50 mph from the north as one attempts to gain way in gulf of california--lovely northers--they are strong until june or july, then they mellow out a tad....
Sounds like Zeehag is trying to talk you out of it....

Except for an occasional "Chabasco" (Squall), "Elephante" (Wind from the Pacific Ocean over the Baja nd into the Sea of Crotez) or even less occasional hurricane (one every 5-10 years), the winds in the Sea of Cortez are really mild (10 knots) for most of the summer.

During the summer of 2011 we had one Chubasco that lasted 1.5 hours with max winds at 55 knots and one Elephante that lasted for 13 hours with winds from 35-40 knots. No hurricanes.

We hve traveled 8500 nautical miles so far in Mexico, Central America and now the NW Caribbean.

The Sea of Cortez was our favorite cruising ground so far!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:23   #74
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the chubasco i encountered was on pacific side of baja just north of cabo san lucas...was 60+ kts--we flew--nice gentle breezes...
many souls do cruise up into gulf of california--isa nice desert environment, and lovely places to hide, i have been advised--and because i was advised...err, told i needed to go there, i avoided it....i was there some years ago on land at a friends campo, just north of gonzaga bay--lovely desert area---
i visited just prior to windy season, spring. there is a fall windy season, and summer is open for anything.
folks i know who do cruise there love it.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sea of cortez