Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2016, 03:18   #16

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Should I (feline) go cruising with my human?

We got another cat so the 1st one would have a playmate. That helped a bit keeping him entertained. The newer cat hates the engines also, and hides but after enough months has gotten used to it and comes out even when motoring after a while. They miss land when we are away but neither will currently go for a dinghy ride.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 03:55   #17

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Yes, Dulcesuenos, the best exercise for a cat is another cat. Still, Zezo doesn't sound to be lonely.

Lizzie, don't underestimate the value of Zezo's company. She'll be a great comfort to have along & as someone mentioned earlier, could be quite a helpful crew nember. I'd be inclined to take her along to the Med. That's a big trip & will take years to do well. See how that goes & make decisions about coconut destinations after that.

I'd ask about her having another home to stay at while you're away but you've already indicated that isn't a good option. Good luck to you both.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 05:31   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

well, helloooo, pretty kitty.
bubba daboatkat has a fb group named gatos del mar. he likes to visit with his sailing cat friends and help new ones adjust to the life. he has over 10,000 miles under tail, and more to come..
he is cool with all except night herons, as one pushed him into drink one night-- doesnt like intruders .. will show his lion tendencies..good kitty, walks on a leash and keeps a tether on at all times..not always hooked to something, but he knows not to go away... he is scared of land, badly. doesnt like furycames much either, but he LOVES his boat. yes HIS boat.....
he got used to the engine noise, and mechanics making it yell and holler at him. he found a new cave in boat he is happy with..
he will come out to see why the monster is hollering at him, and watch the noisey thing for a while until he is certain it wont eat him, then goes on his merry way, usually to the other side of saloon to make sure it doesnt leave the hole and come after him. he also hates the shopvac... a lot....but he tolerates the engine more than vacuum. he still thinks vacuum will eat him.
the answer is YES go sailing with momma.

oops pic came in upside downsfor some reason... was loaded correctly--musta been a wifi glitch ...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 05:45   #19

Boat: Ohlson 29

A second cat .... nope
Zezo tolerates other cats -and even dogs- when she has to, but never more then that.

When I adopted her, I was still living on the hard with my kid, who already had a cat. And we had a little wiener doggie. Both quickly learned to give Zezo a wide berth ...

After about a year, the other cat was allowed -sometimes- to sleep on the same bed / couch where Zezo was sleeping, but she clearly prefers no other animals in HER domain. The boat is also very much HERS. Period. She actually guards the boat against intruders, making sure I understand what an idiot I am when allowing some human she hasn't vetted yet on the boat.

Aside from that - 2 cats on 29' ... Don't think I'm up for that. And I already have enough cathair to deal with.

@Zee: Yay! I've sent a req to join Gatos del Mar

Zezo doesn't walk on a leash - she'll go limp. But she does accept a tether on the boat. She hung herself last year, so now I only use it when underway, but she's cool with it.
She also has a Petfloat which she kinda accepts - she'll do the "oh noes! can't walk with this thing on!" too, but she'll just have to deal with it
Old 14-01-2016, 06:04   #20

on boat second cat is not answer--make sure cat is bonded well to you. always does what you ask of cat and that cat has a good cave for hiding. train to come to your voice and cat name. harness and tether.. bubba sed it isnt so bad dragging a line.. momms always knows where he is and that he is safe
Old 14-01-2016, 06:16   #21

Bubba is a real looker!

Thx so much for the FB group - saw a lot of pics of happy kitties enjoying the cruising life. Maybe I'm too worried about the whole 'paws on land' thing ...
We'll see. She does get frustrated when she hasn't been able to have her fun on land (well, on the jetty - she doesn't leave the marina) for a few days.

She did manage to catch a rat on the boat, so maybe she'll be OK being on the boat more ... I heard a lot of scratching sounds and a weird shriek - thought she managed to fall overboard again but nope. Brought me a half-dead rat so she could teach me how to kill it.

Yeah, Zezo does listen, and comes running when I call her. I even have a special knock that she'll listen to; whenever she's on the boat somewhere I knock and she comes running

I guess between here and the Caribbean it'll all be fine, but no NZ or Aussie for us. But that is getting years ahead of everything, so never mind that for now.
Old 14-01-2016, 06:59   #22

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Oh the biting and the scratching! Got to be careful. It appears that on several occasions Bubbadaboatkat has taken over Z's computer and posted his feline comments! Largely in protest of being made to "tow the line". One time he even tried to jump ship but spent the night on the dolphin striker. Or was he fishing? Only he knows.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 07:00   #23
cruiser

This fellow down in Oz Land "Catmantoo" is an animal trainer, and has excellent tutorial vids on how to train cats to leash, amongst other things

https://www.youtube.com/user/CatTrainerToo
AD28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 09:34   #24

Boat cats tend to have short lives. Mostly falling overboard is the culprit. Stray street dogs is the second biggest ending to a kitty's life. Lack of vet for inevitable emergencies is the third biggest one.
So enjoy your life while you have one to enjoy.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 10:11   #25

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Boat cats tend to have short lives. Mostly falling overboard is the culprit. Stray street dogs is the second biggest ending to a kitty's life. Lack of vet for inevitable emergencies is the third biggest one.
So enjoy your life while you have one to enjoy.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 10:14   #26

as for boat kats having short lives, there is catptain sunny meouwser, admin of bubbas cat group, who has been on board with his dad now for 14 i think years, bubba has been on board for 9.5 years, some for 20 yrs.
there is no where written that cats on boats or ships have shorter lives--is merely hypothesis, and a bad one, as it didnt take into account the boat cats in planet. there are many.

bubba swarezes he was pushed by a sneaky night heron.... it just flipped him into lagoon... he swarez with crossed paws... on my grave... oh , hissss....
Old 14-01-2016, 10:18   #27

Boat: Leopard 40

I am Raphaella a 16 year old Chartreux. I first met my mama in Brussels where I was born. She picked me up in a small car with a huge, giant dog. At first I thought the dog would eat me, but all she wanted to do was cuddle. For a long time we lived in a big house in Germany, then we moved to much smaller apartment where I could not go outside as I pleased. Then we moved to another house where it was quite warm. My dog died, and a few month later we moved onto a house that moved. I was not thrilled. I was used to traveling, we went back and forth from Germany a lot, but I was sure my mama had made a mistake in coming on the moving house. So, I decided to stay in my carrier to make sure she did not leave me behind. The next day she took me out of the carrier, and that is when I knew this was to be my new home. A month later, we got a new dog who was not nearly as large or quiet. After a few months, I left the salon and took a look at the cockpit. Eventually, I went to the bow, but only when the boat was quiet. I do not like long passages as I suffer from mal de mar. We have been on the boat for over a year, but it looks as if I will end my days here. I might have been happier to remain on land, but I would not have wanted to leave my mama.

Raphaella
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Raphaella not happy.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	116732  
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 10:19   #28

reed1v is always the cheerful one
But yes, boat cats can drown. Land cats can get hit by a car.
Not really a reason not to have a cat.

AD28: thx for the link. His vids cost $ but I've been watching some other video's thet YT suggested by someone named Jackson Galaxy or something.
Old 14-01-2016, 10:24   #29

Hi Raphaella,
I am sorry to hear you get seasick I hope I don't, but my human says we won't know until we're out there.
My human and I want to stay together too, but she also wants me to be happy - and that means not being stuck on the plastic house all the time, but getting some land time too sometimes ...

We've learned we should be fine in the EU, so we'll take it from there
Old 14-01-2016, 11:05   #30

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Lizzy, I think you could've made a living writing children's stories. Well done.

It is a big decision isn't it? I never had to worry about this thing in your situation. But I went through a divorce years ago and we had a wonderful German Shepherd named Maximus Aurelius (short name Maxi). He wasn't just a dog to me. I wasn't just someone who brought him food. We were tried and tested friends. He impacted decisions for lifestyle, travel, work, and off-hours at the hospital. We were the best of friends. He passed suddenly due to a twisted stomach. I cried for many months and still affected by his passing. When I was crawling around in my bedroom and vomiting in the bathroom while trying to pass a kidney stone....you can't imagine the pain...he came over and licked my face so softly and sweetly. "My poor daddy!"

My point Lizzy is that you two are bound to one another through fates. If you had to find a new home for her she would suffer terribly. For a pet it is a bond so deep that it literally can kill some of them if their bond is lost due to death of owner, rejection by owner, or changes in housing situations where owner has no choice but to relinquish pet. I watched my cousins black and brown Rotweiler change to a completely white coat in 2 months after he committed suicide. He would barely eat or drink and looked like a skelton. They put him down. He was one of those work dogs who you often see accompany "tradesmen" like carpenters. Always in the truck or just hanging out at worksites. Pets are so sensitive and so deeply affected.

Lizzy you are sensitive lady and smart about life. Find a way to make it work. She needs you. It is not always convenient. But she is in love with you and will pay you back with many years of kitty antics and affection.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising