Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2016, 12:35   #31

Boat: 1983 Nauticat 43, Hull 16
Re: Should I (feline) go cruising with my human?

Denali Rose: A day in the life...
(Our feline crewmembers)

Elsie has adopted to life onboard easily, Gus is still learning. They never go ashore without their harnesses,(with id tags) and leashes, as they are both too skittish. They never go on deck without their harnesses, in case we need to fish them out of the water. Elsie doesn't mind the engine, but Gus will duck into a dark hidey hole, or his "shark", they each have one. They both enjoy watching the birds, other boats, and people from the security of the pilothouse, and "kitty racetrack" is soooo much fun at 2:00am.
dkroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 12:36   #32

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Me, I am Minx, and was a huntress. I am gone now, but I traveled a lot I think. It was in a plastic house, maybe like the one you describe. Most everything was OK, except my humans sometimes, too often in my opinion, did not let me go on the wood walks when we traveled. I did not mind the noisy engine (that is what they called it), but I sure hated not being able to go explore when we were stopped. I'd yowl and want to escape, and I did twice, but always came back, just like I did when they said it was OK. I do not think we went as far as you might go, but the places we went were new to me, and there were some where they said other humans would not allow me to leave. One time they were afraid of something called eagles, but that was a different trip, and they always had an excuse when they tried to make me stay I hope you decide to go, but remember humans always say they want to do what is best for you, then always do what is also best for them. The reason I am gone is a dog got me at age 19 in my own garage. I'd have been fine if I was younger and did not have bad arthritis.
Old 14-01-2016, 12:56   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Average age at death of a feral cat is like 6 years or so.
A Domestic cat, and I believe this is if it's spayed and or neutered is almost three times as long
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 17:03   #34

Boat: Endurance 35,

Cats can adapt to all sorts of thing including cruising. They will learn to go for walks without a leash and never get more than 10 ft from you - just start with short walks in a area they know then expand the range - we had one that would go on day long hikes, would howl if it lost sight of us and come tearing back half sideways when we called. They can also develop "unfortunate" habits if they don't like what is going on. We have met cruisers trying to unload cats that showed their displeasure by doing their business on the bed (worst yet the pillow) when ever it got stormy or if they were left aboard when it was not convenient to have them ashore. I'd say give it a try!
Nanamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 18:37   #35

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Nanamuk,

Give it a try, but store the pillows somewhere safe!

dkroar: love that kitty racetrack!

zeehag: bubbadaboatkat looks just like our Bobbie did. Alley cats are great!
Old 15-01-2016, 05:48   #36

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Very well said, Alansmith!

We do worry so much about doing the right thing for them, but truly, there are risks everywhere. They're happiest with their chosen person, and if that person loves them back wisely, they'll live a happy life.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2016, 06:02   #37
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
Very well said, Alansmith!

We do worry so much about doing the right thing for them, but truly, there are risks everywhere. They're happiest with their chosen person, and if that person loves them back wisely, they'll live a happy life.
this is exactly why i take bubba with me when i leave boat for any length of time anymore--he hates it when i leave him, and screams and hollers.
he is actually happy and smiles when he is with me--even with weird stuff happening all around, like furycames and sailing and stuff cats usually do not seem to like.
he HATES airplanes and vacuum cleaners. totally, but the rest he is happy as long as i am there with him
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 03:53   #38

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

I had a couple of additional thoughts last night. I'm thinking an emergency boarding ladder, kitty-style, would be a really good idea to have hanging overboard whenever you're at anchor. I can just see an exuberant bird hunt taking a kitty overboard; a strip of carpet or even a human style ladder she can negotiate would be worthwhile. Also consider lifeline netting if kitty likes to prowl the decks.

My Siamese was very dependent on her scratching post, so when she came on board we wrapped a piece of surplus carpet around the mast, under the saloon table. It wasn't as tall as her home version, but she was very happy with it.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 05:14   #39

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Both great ideas PC.

Dkroar....your cats! I loved the pictures. I haven't had coffee yet, so I didn't read. But your cats look very comfy and happy. The beds are awesome
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 05:42   #40

bubba sed land is overrated, btw..... he NEVER goes there.. doesnt move right.
Old 16-01-2016, 06:19   #41

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Bubba probably gets land sick. I sure do! We can't even get to the ocean yet, but a week on a lake and land makes me feel nauseous.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 10:10   #42

when bubba first came on board i made him HIS PLACE under dinette with scratch line wrapped food water grass and stowed his litter box in head with door partly open.
his surroundings have changed but he does his claw hygiene on ropes lines and knots i have given him and ALL floor coverings, which have always been his.
cats are not difficult to train. they learn fast and remember long time.
positive feedback never fails.
ye cannot punish a cat for being a cat. if yer gonna do that, dont get the cat. please.
cats are incredibly social and resent banishment from your presence. bubba has taught me so very much about cats. that is why he started that gatos del mar fb vroup, so he can help other cruising cat families that it isnt difficult.
cats generally take a couple of weeks to adjust to somewhere. helps to put your stink around so they know it is home. they learn a lot crom watching others.. cats, bumans, birdees and they love watching fish. let em know they safe n they are good to go.
Old 16-01-2016, 10:10   #43

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Hi cruisers! My name is Frankie. I was named after Frank Sinatra because of my blue eyes.
I like being the only cat, but I don't like the boat.
It's ok when we are anchored, but I barf whenever the waves are over one foot.
Even a Bayliner wake will do it for me.
I don't get the "center of motion" thing at all.
My family has to cover the settees with something every time we go out because that's where I barf every time.
They try to grab me and put me on the cabin sole, but Nooooo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Frankie helping with the dishes.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	116820  

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 10:21   #44

dear frankie, this is soozees ghost speaking from deadcatville.
i used to literally turn my blue cream, aka muted calico skinny me obviously green when i awakened to our chris craft commander 38 which had very noisey monsters under the floor hollering at me ... made me siiiick.... momms had to put me down onto a towel on top of those noisey vibrating angry monsters. she took harold the woooossss puss out onto the big airy back deck and with any brush whe could find brushed him all over n let his nose breathe the clean fresh air by the window.
i would go to sleep on or in my seasick and momms had to clean me but it was ok when those stinky monsters finally shut up. i was scared from em, but i had tp protect momms from em so i stayed on top of their backs until i got them to shut up.
Old 16-01-2016, 10:42   #45

My best friend Jasper the cat lived on the boat with us for a few years. (He later died at 16 years old.) But when he lived aboard he liked it, but sailing? no he hated it, especially when the engine came on. He was a very mild mannered boy, but hated that and would puke every time. We used to put him in the head when not flat water so he could puke there. He learned to get on the sink and fling himself at the door handle and open it. We left him with grama ashore when that 3 year cruise started.
I know of two cats that drowned living aboard also....in flat water.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising