Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2009, 03:43   #1

Boat: None
Sailing with a Sixteen-Month-Old - Advice?

Hiya,

I am thinking of celebrating my 40th birthday sailing a crewed Bahia 46 around the seychelles islands in the indian ocean with my wife and our 16 month old little girl.

The question is, should we or shouldn't we? We are agonising over how will we cope with our little girl's routine (well sort of routine!!!!!) of sleeping, walking, playing onboard.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Vic.
vragoobur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 05:10   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Just go

Why should you life be restricted by someone who doesnt pay taxes?

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 05:18   #3

Boat: Between boats
Send a message via MSN to Hampus
When you're 16 months old, a 46ft boat is a castle
Old 14-03-2009, 05:35   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampus View Post
When you're 16 months old, a 46ft boat is a castle
Yeah, well, find a tower and shove her in it. She can see the world from there and you and your wife can have a bit of real adventure!

16 months and she has you wrapped round her little finger

Old 14-03-2009, 11:25   #5

Boat: Westsail 32
We put off moving aboard when our daughter was born. We have huge regrets now. At that age they don't care what happens or where as long as their basic needs are met. As for safety, kids at that age require constant attention anywhere. As we approach 24 months we realize that we could have spent the last 2 years on the boat and it wouldn't have effected our daughter at all.
Amfivena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 11:31   #6

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
It's probably more important whether your wife wants to do it. If the wife wants it, go for it.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 11:35   #7

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfivena View Post
We put off moving aboard when our daughter was born. We have huge regrets now. At that age they don't care what happens or where as long as their basic needs are met. As for safety, kids at that age require constant attention anywhere. As we approach 24 months we realize that we could have spent the last 2 years on the boat and it wouldn't have effected our daughter at all.
We took our kids sailing on our Westsail 32 while they were in diapers, and they loved it. We lived in Puerto Rico where it was warm making it easier.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 15:36   #8

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Take me as your nanny and then you can relax

Seriously, our son has been aboard full time since birth and as others wisely said before me -- GO! As long as she has food mom and dad she will have a ball. Get her a good life jacket that she enjoys wearing. And you won't need toys. Just some buckets and sticks and shells and shovels will keep her happy. Pack a few playsilks and books and you'll be good to go.

Routines are overrated. Kids -- especially little ones -- are so flexible as long as mom and dad are flexible. Most of the time the routine isn't in the best interest of the child anyhow, it's for the convenience of the parent(s).

I am crazy jealous, you will have a fabulous time and you'll be kicking yourself if you don't go!

Oh, and I will come with as a nanny. For real.

Cheers
Schoonerdog's wife, Cindy
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 15:51   #9

Boat: Reuel Parker design Egret 31.5 Yawl
Lin Pardy in Capable Cruiser suggests that before three years old kids need constant supervision as they have no real perception of danger and aren't strong swimmers so the wife often spends her time with the child (under three) and the husband (or mate) does the sailing. This can be tiring if there is "bad" or rough weather. If there were three adults, it would not be so much like single handed sailing for the "sailor."
Old 15-03-2009, 00:27   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder View Post
Lin Pardy in Capable Cruiser suggests that before three years old kids need constant supervision as they have no real perception of danger and aren't strong swimmers so the wife often spends her time with the child (under three) and the husband (or mate) does the sailing. This can be tiring if there is "bad" or rough weather. If there were three adults, it would not be so much like single handed sailing for the "sailor."
I think I will point out Lin & Larry did not have children. In the past I have taken toddlers aboard. The only time it was a pain is when the parents did not respect the boundaries set by myself as to where the child should be and the role the parents needed to play to keep the child safe. I asked them twice not to let the child crawl out of the cockpit onto the deck while underway. They told me not to worry about it. I turned the boat around and headed back in. It was a very quiet docking that day...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 00:48   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I turned the boat around and headed back in. It was a very quiet docking that day...
maybe it was a little quiet, but you drew a line and now all will know - or have heard about it - and you'll not have had to do the same thing again.

Also next time you can always say: Last time it happened I turned the boat for home...

I think people may then not take advantage of you And thats what they were doing... plus insulting you to your face.

Mark

Old 15-03-2009, 01:03   #12

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
maybe it was a little quiet, but you drew a line and now all will know - or have heard about it - and you'll not have had to do the same thing again.

Also next time you can always say: Last time it happened I turned the boat for home...

I think people may then not take advantage of you And thats what they were doing... plus insulting you to your face.

Mark
Well...all is well...they stayed friends with my ex-wife and not me. There are things I can live with and things I cannot. Being at the helm when I loose a child overboard is one I would not be able to be ok with ever. On the other hand I have had children of all ages whose parents were wonderful and a good time was had by all. It's entertaining watching youngsters discover the beauty of nature on the Ocean.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 01:30   #13

Boat: Fantasia 35
Having traveled with a toddler in a third world country I sincerely can't recommend it. The problem is that at that age they can't keep their hands out of their mouths. After the third bout of amoebic dysentery we couldn't justify continuing to cruise. Additionally, the treatment for amoebic dysentery is a medication called FLAGYL which is a known carcinogenic. The thought that we may be killing our child drove us to head back to a first world country.

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 02:27   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Sailor View Post
The thought that we may be killing our child drove us to head back to a first world country.

Quote:
Metronidazole has been shown to be carcinogenic in mice and rats.
Its tough.. these decisions in the modern world are to be taken in ways never had before in history.

People booked on board ship when they knew a certain percentage would die of disease during the voyage. These days on a voyage, say, from England to Australia no one expects to die. However what’s the reality.

Yes children die. Yes your child could died on voyage. But so could one at home.

You could die too. Does that make a cruise less appealing?

Mark

Old 15-03-2009, 07:12   #15

Boat: Reuel Parker design Egret 31.5 Yawl
I have five children, but that does not make me an expert on children. Lin Pardy gave specific examples in her book of actual parents who had children and the parents experiences and testimonials about cruising with the children, of all ages. She didn't make patronizing statements about how other people should take care of their children, in case you thought perhaps she might have.