Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2012, 13:24   #1

Boat: 1991 Hunter Vision 36
Sailing While Pregnant

Okay Ladies, would like some input on what to expect or prepare for on a 2 week sailing trip while pregnant. Will be in the second trimester by the time of the trip, so hopefully the nausea of the first tri will be well behind us. Is there anything specific we should take? Anything helpful? Stories of course are always welcome. We will also be taking our dogs (I didn't say it would be easy). We expect to go from Tampa, to the Keys the beginning of April. Any tips and tricks gratefully welcomed. Thanks in advance!
sj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 13:35   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Sailing while pregnant?

My wife was 7 months pregnant when we left Tahiti for Hawaii. Biggest problem was the change in her center of gravity. She had to be extra careful manuevering around with the baby sticking out. Since her weight had shifted lower, she actually found it easier to maintain her equlibrium once she got past her stomach. As far as being sick, she was fine. Probably a bit less energy and she slept more than on previous passages but actually did more cooking and the like in the light air of the first part of the passage. Once we got in the trades, she pretty much stayed in her berth and read for the last 6 days. Trades were honking at force 5 with 10' plus following seas so it was a very boisterous sail for the end of the passage.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 13:45   #3

Boat: Tartan 37

Well, I had N/V (nausea/vomiting) for almost nine months during each pregnancy and I am prone to sea sickness (Typically only on Day 1) too. I did not sail when I was pregnant, simply because I was not into sailing at the time. As you know you are somewhat limited in what you can take (RX and OTC).

I would suggest the following:

1. Set sail when you are well rested.
2. Stay at the helm as much as you can .... it keeps you busy, keeps your mind occupied, and helps you anticipate the movement of the boat.
3. Do not go below if you can help it. Stay on deck in the cool breeze and do not let yourself get too hot. A cool towel on the back of the neck is helpful.
4. Avoid alcohol -- which I assume you are already doing.
5. Try eating ginger candy or candied ginger starting hours before you sail, this might help with any potential nausea.
6. Limit greasy foods, high caffeine, and spicy foods the night before you set out and on Day 1. Eat higher carbohydrate (easier to digest) and drink a Gatorade type beverage (quickly absorbed by the stomach). Do not overeat/overdrink on Day 1.
7. If your dog(s) get motion sick (mine did on last trip -- I vomited twice and he vomited once -- HIGH SEAS), ask someone else to clean it up.
8. I would suggest you take a RX medication with you for N/V if your OB will permit. Maybe phenergan? This is just in the event you do have more severe N/V -- you DON"T want to get severely dehydrated while pregnant. Most antimetics (For N/V) are sedating, but you are a whole new person when you awake.

Remember: This is just to be prepared in the event you have a problem. Most likely you will be JUST FINE and will not have any problem at all! Have a great time and HAPPY BABY to you and your family!

Darby
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 13:49   #4

Boat: Tartan 37

Oh .... and you might want to contact this couple:

bumfuzzle | living, sailing, procreating
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 13:53   #5

Congrats!
I had no luck on my post about the same thing, but here's some feedback from my recent experiences (also second trimester):

* not sure about you, but I suddenly got VERY clumsy about 3 months in. Watch your step, and don't hesitate to ask for a hand even if you think "I should be able to do this!";
* my mom-in-law suggested not to squat if, while handling the lines, you need to pull the boat in just to be sure there is no undue pressure on the womb - don't know if it's a true concern, but decided to follow it just in case;
* I would normally learn on the side of my hip/stomach while cooking. Pressure in that zone became uncomfortable, so had to invent new ways of fixating myself while cooking;
* some spaces are starting to get tight after 4.5 months, like going around the steering wheel - watch out for that;
* same mom-in-law strongly advised against working with my arms stretched up high - her son rotated in the womb while she was hanging up some curtains and would not rotate back after. If you don't have a furling main, watch out for that while reefing/packing the sail;
* try to avoid at all costs bumping into things with your tummy - I was surprised how many bruises I've developed in other places trying to cushion my stomach.

I'm gathering it might be quite hot in the Keys in April, so be sure not to overheat - stay out of the sun, maybe take some ice in the cooler with you that you can chew or put on your head if necessary. A fan near the bed would not go amiss either. Babies don't like higher body temps.

Otherwise enjoy and take it easy! It's a happy and giddy time of pregnancy
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 13:57   #6

One more thing: if you'll already be showing by the time of your trip, be sure that your life jacket/harness don't interfere with your baby. Try it on before the trip and adjust it as necessary.
Old 28-02-2012, 14:13   #7

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiusha View Post
** same mom-in-law strongly advised against working with my arms stretched up high - her son rotated in the womb while she was hanging up some curtains and would not rotate back after. If you don't have a furling main, watch out for that while reefing/packing the sail;
My wife had the same thing happen, (and ended up with a ceasarian), I wish your mom-in-law had warned us.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 19:36   #8

Boat: 1991 Hunter Vision 36
Re: Sailing While Pregnant ?

Thank you all for your great feedback...a little nervous but I think being prepared should help. Going to miss taking Bonine on those rough trips :S Hopefully it will all be "smooth sailing". Good info on the reaching bit...will be very careful. Thanks again so much!
sj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 02:56   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
This may be radical, but I don't beleive, that a small boat is anyplace for a pregnant women, especially in a relatively advanced pregnancy. Yes ok for a few hours round the bay sort of thing, if you really must. And most certainly she's not expected to crew.

Sorry the whole idea doesn't sit comfortably with me at all.

Dave
Old 29-02-2012, 03:27   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

@dave pregnancy is not a sickness !

mine carried both of our kids till it was time to row ashore to go into hospital,even had her swimming ashore in turkey with stern lines at 7 months!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 03:52   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

Congatulations!

Seen pregnant girls sailing everywhere. Probably just ask your doc if it is OK in your particular case and if he says go, then go for it.

Have a great sailing trip!
barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 04:31   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj01 View Post
Thank you all for your great feedback...a little nervous but I think being prepared should help. Going to miss taking Bonine on those rough trips :S Hopefully it will all be "smooth sailing". Good info on the reaching bit...will be very careful. Thanks again so much!
Believe it or not, I actually found that I experience much less motion sickness now than before getting pregnant (not counting the first trimester ). It's different for every woman, so don't stress too much over it. Though having some chilled tea out of fresh ginger, mint, and chamomile prepared beforehand never hurt anyone
Old 29-02-2012, 05:32   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
@dave pregnancy is not a sickness !

mine carried both of our kids till it was time to row ashore to go into hospital,even had her swimming ashore in turkey with stern lines at 7 months!
Jeepers Atoll, I know have a wife and two grown up girls, all good honest to god feminists. I have to hide my previous post and slink around head down.

still though I am not comfortable with the notion. Its too easy to get injured or something to happen outside easy help. nope not comfortable.
Old 29-02-2012, 06:24   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Jeepers Atoll, I know have a wife and two grown up girls, all good honest to god feminists. I have to hide my previous post and slink around head down.

still though I am not comfortable with the notion. Its too easy to get injured or something to happen outside easy help. nope not comfortable.
risk assesment! is everything on a boat no matter who is on board.
though in normal conditions, doing coastal hops can't see a problem if the individual is happy onboard..
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 08:50   #15

Boat: Hans Christian 36'

I'm with Dave, being pregnant, including heavily, on a boat is just fine, as long as you know your current conditions pregnant (i.e., you aren't supposed to be on bed rest, you have checked out just fine, etc.)

I went sailing on the day I went into labor at 39 weeks 3 days. Would I have decided to do a Pacific crossing at that stage of the pregnancy? No, but I knew that sailing in the bay would be fine.

I did have many bumps and bruises because I was clumsier and not used to maneuvering with a belly. Don't do anything you don't feel comfortable doing. Your partner should know your current physical limitations and make sure he can pick up any slack where needed. Don't overtire yourself. Make sure you get sleep. Have fun.

The Bumfuzzle blog is great too!
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing