Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2014, 17:05   #1

Boat: 1995 Brewer Custom Cutter 44
Refilling controlled substance RX

Hi all. My daughter takes meds for ADHD, and her dr has to phone in or electronically submit refills. She also must see dr every 6 weeks to monitor her weight and vitals. In about 4 years we will be moving aboard and cruising the east coast. Just wondering if any of you are in the same situation and how you handle it. Would totally love to treat my daughter without using a controlled substance, and I intend to look into our options and discuss with dr.

Thanks!
chinamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 13:33   #2
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Re: Refilling controlled substance RX

Cruising may be just the treatment she needs. It will also enable (I'm guessing) you to spend more quality time with her which may go a long way to give you freedom to help her and you manage her condition withour medical intervention.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 14:40   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'm sure you have heard this before, but I think ADHD is over diagnosed, best thing that happened for my Son was when we got him off the chemicals, no he couldn't handle an ordinary school, found a tiny little Christian school that was wiling to put up with him, most of it he slowly out grew. He left home a couple of weeks ago to start a life of his own working at a Cave Diving shop, tomorrow is his 19th birthday.
There is hope.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 17:15   #4

Boat: 1995 Brewer Custom Cutter 44

It's funny, but my husband and I completely agree that cruising long term will have major benefits for our daughter. She already loves sailing (she's 12), and is looking forward to full-time cruising even though she will be in high school ( at the same school where I teach&#128521 when we leave. Thanks for your replies...your insights and experience mean a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
chinamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 18:35   #5

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

If you stay on the east coast, and your prescription is with one of the national pharmacies, you can refill the rx wherever you are. The other option is to have your doctor write 6 scripts, since the refill on controlled drugs is limited to two. I do this for my patients that travel. By the time you live aboard, your child will be 16, and closer to adult weight.

Ben

Ben Solomon
S/V Dawn 1989 37.5 hunter legend
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote