Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2016, 20:48   #1
Marine Service Provider

Pets abroad

Hi everyone,

I posted previously to try and get information about taking a small cockatiel crushing over seas but got no responses. I thought I will therefor broaden the question and ask for people's experiences taking any pets abroad and what the difficulties associated are. For example vet checks, medical records, countries with restrictions on certain types of animals.
Thanks in advance.
Niki
Herreshoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 21:08   #2

Re: Pets abroad

Don't.

It isn't fair to the pet.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 21:22   #3

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

We have a dog on the boat and have been to the Bahamas. Just a little extra paperwork, but it has been easy. We are on a catamaran and the dog has a pad to use inside or when the weather is bad, otherwise, she uses the net up front. We don't ever have to take her ashore to go potty, only for exploring when it makes sense. I know there can be issues with other countries, but the Bahamas were easy.

For the Bahamas, fill out the application ahead of time and send it to them and use the service for the fax back option. They will send you the permit and the health cert to have your vet fill out. You do not need an international health cert, just the paper that was sent to you signed by your vet. It does not have to be completed within 24 hours when clearing in on your private vessel, just have it completed reasonably close to the time before you leave the US. Your permit and signed health cert will clear the pet in through customs when you clear the boat in.

There is some confusion about leaving and seeing a vet. After multiple phone calls to. Various Bahamian entities, we were told we did not have to clear out and did not have to clear the dog out, just leave. So when it was time for us to come back to the US for hurricane season, we just left.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
blackcatscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 21:17   #4

Boat: Gamelin 37

This is from a veterinary perspective not cruising but it is very difficult to import birds into many countries. In particular if you wanted to return from Australia after traveling to Asia you almost certainly couldn't bring him back. Because of diseases like bird flu, and the fact that small parrots can't be vaccinated for many diseases, it makes it even harder then dogs and cats.

Here are some links about cockatiels/birds to give you an idea below. They are native but luckily don't fall under CITES protection as that would complicate things a lot for you! Unfortunately every country will be different so you'd have to contact each one you may travel too.

We ended up rehoming our little cockatiel with my brother who also has one - they get along so well and are in love now so makes us feel better about our decision but it is hard

Example of what you need to do for Singapore: http://www.ava.gov.sg/docs/default-s...c.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Fact sheet from border control Australia saying birds can't be imported (worth contacting them though because I seem to recall client seeing me with birds that were imported... maybe it was not legal though!)
https://www.border.gov.au/Factsheets...inganimals.pdf

Hope it helps, good luck and if you find out more let me know!

Sheridan

www.vettails.com

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
VetTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 22:48   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Well, good on ya, Sheridan, this could wind up helping the OP a whole lot! Thanks.

Ann
Old 01-01-2017, 10:11   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

noonsite also has information.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:21   #7

Birds don't belong on boats except on mythical pirate ships. Cats are the only pets that have business on a boat long term.
SV DestinyAscen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pets