Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2011, 01:09   #16
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: How Many Children Do You Have Aboard ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Charlotte View Post
We have one, and we're done! She's only 7.5 months now and will be 2.5 years when we leave for our cruise.
Already?? But you only just gave birth... oh my. They grow up so fast, and so beautiful!!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 04:18   #17

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Beautiful kids Jobi!
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 18:54   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
Beautiful kids Jobi!
Thank you Mimsy!

How sad it is to see so little follow up on this thread...childrens are our pride and glory...I was expecting every sailors life to be anchanted by a son, a doter or grandchildrens and show dozens of photos

iv chosen this livaboard lifstyle and frugal living to henhance my childrens lifes...to me sailing should bring out the child in all of us

rgds
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:23   #19
cruiser

Boat: Power Cruiser: Free Agent

I usually have 2 of our kids on board and they'll sometimes bring a friend.

Neighborhood girls can come if my wife is along, and we even let them bring a friend too.
They never pass up a boat trip with us.

We bring a Jet ski, have an inflatable tube to tow, wake/kneeboards, snorkel, dingy and every couple nights we'll hit a town on shore for entertainment.

The on board barbeque's, swimming, music, socializing on the beach and among the other boats,, the kids love it.

Always more fun with kids.
Free Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:15   #20

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd

We have four children and we sailed with all four of them since our youngest was 18 months. We started sailing with them on a 25 foot Hunter on a lake in Illinois. My husband and I had sailed before we had children. We wanted to teach the kids about nature and most importantly how to work together and value each others input. The kids became great sailors! We spend most of our free time on the boat and they grew in confidence and found their own paths. The time on the to the water allowed them to dream. We moved back to the east coast and bought a bigger boat, and them a boat for Mom and Dad to go cruising, our current boat.

When my daughter wanted to introduce us to her current husband, she brought him to the boat. Of course the captain made him hoist the main by himself. Oh dads and daughters.

Our son was hit by a drunk driver last year. He lost lots of blood and had his left leg amputated. When he woke up four days and 6 surgery's later the first thing he said was...how soon before I can come to the boat? We brought him over to the boat in his wheelchair and hoisted him on the boat with the bosuns seat. He spend three days on the boat. His attitude improved, he said he felt he was complete when he was on the boat. He is back to work now as a personal trainer, walks with a prosthetic and still drives his car with a manual transmission.

Our youngest daughter comes over to the boat to 'recharge'. Our youngest son is a chef. He spent a year cooking in Antarctica. He said after living on the boat, his spot on the ice seemed spacious.

In my opinion, there is nothing better than to introduce your children to sailing. We feel fortunate that we get to have another generation of sailors. Our grandson just turned 3 and Mom said we could take him sailing for a few days.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:58   #21

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Patty

Bless your Son and Family and your boat.
Boats can hold families together and have fun doing it.

Your son still going out on the boat?
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:11   #22

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
Yes he is. We relocated the boat from the southern bay (solomons md) to our slip in west river. He got is boat shoe on his new leg and with long pants on no one could tell he had a prosthetic. He was manning the foredeck and jumping around. He can't wait to get to sailing this spring. It will be a year since the accident May 1.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:45   #23

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

He proved that if your heart is right, you cab do anything..
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 08:49   #24

Boat: CS36 Traditional

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpattyd View Post
Our son was hit by a drunk driver last year. He lost lots of blood and had his left leg amputated. When he woke up four days and 6 surgery's later the first thing he said was...how soon before I can come to the boat? We brought him over to the boat in his wheelchair and hoisted him on the boat with the bosuns seat. He spend three days on the boat. His attitude improved, he said he felt he was complete when he was on the boat. He is back to work now as a personal trainer, walks with a prosthetic and still drives his car with a manual transmission.
What a sad, and yet inspirational story. Thank you for sharing that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svpattyd View Post
In my opinion, there is nothing better than to introduce your children to sailing. We feel fortunate that we get to have another generation of sailors. Our grandson just turned 3 and Mom said we could take him sailing for a few days.
I agree full heartedly. We have two boys, 12 and 16, who have been sailing with us for 11 seasons. We started off with a 26ft sloop where they slept in the quarter berth and salon with all the sail bags and clothes bags piled up on one side. We did inland cruising for 2 weeks and weekends in the summer. When they got bigger, and we got a dog, the boat became smaller so we moved up 10ft.

I think they have gained maturity by being on the boat and I believe they consider it an important part of their childhood. They do get bored sometimes but usually they partipate and find activities to occupy themselves. My only complaint is that they like being on the boat but are not so inclined to help maintain the boat, although they do help a bit. I guess that is normal...however.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...cture8832.html

This photo was from a few years ago as we went through the Trent Severn Waterway in Ontario.

Andrew
ADMPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:48   #25

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran

Checking in from Majestic - we have two swabbies ages 6 years (son) and 6 months (daughter). We've been aboard 13 years or so (smaller boat before kids) and both kids have been on board their whole lives with no land base. Casting off again Fall 2012. Yay!
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 10:32   #26

Just our daughter on board (almost 9 months old). Managed to get one trip in this last year in the fall, have been waiting out a rather wet and wild winter here, and am looking forward to a great summer.

Leaving for big trip in two years. Can't wait.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:53   #27

7!!! I just met a family with 7 kids aboard all ages 11 and under (and 2 dogs)! They are amazing, motivated, inspirational. I wish a filmmaker was documenting them! They ditched the rat-race, sold the house and moved onto a 60 ft steel Russian sailboat. Their family, boat, and story is incredible. I just had to tell someone!
Patience Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:13   #28

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Just one grown son and not a grand child in sight.
Now my sister has eighteen grand kids and twenty five great grand kids... I just may have to claim some of them for my own.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children