Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 20:31   #1

How Many Children Do You Have Aboard ?

We already have 1 toddler, and are at the point of deciding how many more we want to have ... opinions vary ... but since neither of us has done it before, we aren't sure how well they will deal with being shoe-horned into a boat.
Does everyone have their own "room", or is someone sleeping on the dining area settee every night? One of hubby's ideas would have had us hot-bunking even at only 3 of us ... might be OK for short vacations but not going to work long term.

So -- how many kids do y'all keep on your boat? And for how long - short trips, liveaboard, long-distance cruising? And, how do you fit everyone in without anyone going crazy (or over the side)?
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 21:06   #2

We had three on a Catalina 30, plus mom and dad. Parents in the vee birth. Two in the quarterberth. One on the starboard settee. That was the only one in the main living area. We stored her bedding in the quarterberth in the daytime. It worked. All three would turn the quarterberth into a playpen and use her bedding to block the entrance.

It works......keep it simple......enjoy. These are the glory years.......
SailPenelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 21:29   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
both of mine sailed around the world before they were 10.
biggest challenge once they started walking and talking was keeping them occupied.
boredom would invariably result in one making the other howl,thus attracting the attention of my wife or myself,to give them more attention.
its a full time job having small kids on a boat of any size.......................

now they are 13 and 15 they still use the same tactic though are getting much better and even seem to like each other some times...........
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 22:39   #4

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
Until last summer our 2 grandchildren (5/7), did quite well in the quarter berth. This summer they were never comfortable...hence why we have 2 boats now. The new one has private berths in a shared cabin just like home, and twice the water capacity making everybody happy. But that said, I used to sail 5 in a 22', only a week at a time, but it worked too.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 23:25   #5
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom
I have three kids, they have always seemed to get on quite well when we have been alone for long periods of time. I'm not all that sure there is a secret to that, but anytime we are in the south pacific we would always find somewhere to go or something to do if they were starting to get a little stir crazy.
We often get visitors, be it family or friends that will join us for a couple of weeks on end, we always try and time it round periods we know there might not be a whole lot for the kids to do, that always seemed to work out.
Of course they have to keep up with school, at times when there isn't much to do they will just get ahead on their work, which allowed them to skip some days when in port.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:24   #6

I've said this elsewhere, but a sailing kid needs siblings. There are just too many long stretches without other kids around. We ended up back ashore for a spell because our daughter is an only child.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 19:11   #7

Well Hannah stopping at 1 wasn't part of my plan. Hubby's a little ambivalent though, still working that one out. But we aren't opposed to spending some time ashore if it will make people happier either.
The problem seems to come down to - do we get THE BOAT that will be "it" forever (I know, hahahahaha, but that's one idea) in which case we have to plan for the total kids even before they exist ... or do we do what we can now, and move up later if we need to. We can take a passel of toddlers in a lot less space than we can the same number of teenagers (I assume), but changing it up midway might be difficult ...
Sigh. I guess anything that's this much trouble must end up with something that's worth it.
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 19:41   #8

Boat: Beneteau 393
For the boat I say play it by ear and get a boat for "right now". Who knows what the future will bring (triplets???)

We have 2 kids, one in each quarter berth with us up forward. A great set-up for a family of 4, IMO.

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 08:11   #9

Boat: Catalina 34
We have two girls (currently 6 and 8) along with my wife and I for a total of 4 on our 28 foot Irwin. We've cruised up to 3 months at a time and rarely felt pressed for space.
Old 22-01-2011, 01:00   #10

Boat: Dean Catamaran - Oceancomber - 37'
We've sailed for a year on a 37ft. Dean Cat (4 cabins) through Greece and Turkey. We had 5 kids from age 16 to 4. Now we're in Israel and have been here almost a year (7 months on land), due to our 6th being born 5 months ago. We're leaving here in May, heading for Adriatic and across the Med. The three smallest, 10, 6, & 4 share a double bed, the two older kids have their own cabins and my wife and I sleep with the baby on the other double. No one is on the setee, which is great, because it's nothing to set up and take down everyday.
It's tight, but it works, and as we sail during the warm weather, about 1/2 are inside and 1/2 are out. If the idea is getting closer as a family, I think we're achieving that!
hems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 19:59   #11

Boat: Hans Christian 36'
Re: How Many Do You Have?

We have one, and we're done! She's only 7.5 months now and will be 2.5 years when we leave for our cruise.
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:22   #12

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Re: How Many Do You Have?

We will be cruising with 2 girls- an 11 year old and a baby who will be a year and a half when we leave. We bought our boat because it was perfect for a famil yof 3 to go crusing- then SURPRISE! The girls will be sharing the double berth in the aft cabin. I've promised the older girl if she ever decides she needs a bit of space she can grab the quarter berth.

No, its not ideal but you make it work if you really want to go cruising. Its just a matter of how badly you want to cruise...
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 00:09   #13

Re: How Many Children Do You Have Aboard ?

my original plane was to let my doter have the Vberth my son and I cauld each have our bunk in the main salon on a 28ft...this anytime they want to get away from mom (my ex)

however life being what it is...my girlfriend started talking about having a baby and my kids encouraging her...so I got a 41ft with rooms for every one.
in theory I am suposed to be living alone on board

yesterday my dothers 14 birthday...so proud I am
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0456.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	25093   Click image for larger version

Name:	017.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	25094  

otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 00:38   #14

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Congrats,

Your daughter looks lots like my 3. (15,14,13)

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 00:57   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Congrats,

Your daughter looks lots like my 3. (15,14,13)

cheers
3 girls!! at first I wished for only girls...was afraid boys would be like me...however I was blessed with a son that has change my view of this world...hes the incarnation of good and makes all of us aronde him a better person...best wish to you and yours
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	25095  
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children