Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2019, 14:55   #76

Boat: Bali 4.0
Re: How did you get from house to boat?

Layout our entire process from "normal" life to liveaboard?
Im not sure what the character limit is on here, but i'm guessing it would kick me off well before I even got started. =)

For us... it all started by downsizing.
Well... in reality it all started with a decision and a commitment to making change, but the first change was downsizing.

We were in a 5+ bedroom house (stuffed to the gills) so we had several garage sales and then moved across state lines and into a 3br apartment. Nothing like filling a truck/trailer to make you decide whats really important. Within the next year we moved into a 2br, then a 1b and a few years later we were downsizing from small to impossibly tiny studio apartment and eventually into a VW bus. That's it... thats about as lean as you can get and if it didn't fit in there we donated the rest.

Along the way we stopped/halted our expensive hobbies/habits, paid off debt, first small-then large. Finally started saving money, and with our newfound confidence started making plans instead of dreams.

We've been living/traveling/exploring full time on the road for 7 years since (with a sorted tale of highs and lows in between). Eventually we "upgraded" from a VW bus to a high roof sprinter van, and eventually made a small "home base" for ourselves in case we ever decided that van life was no longer for us.

But, it turns out that while getting lean and spending almost no money was meant to be an answer to how to live affordably... it somehow also found us eventually being comfortable enough to chase another lifelong dream (of living on a boat). We first brought up the topic of buying a boat in august, put an offer in 3days later, bought the boat by the end of the month and moved aboard in November.

... and now (a very sorted tale of highs and lows later) here we are, island hopping through the caribbean as we learn to sail and live aboard!

Certainly happy to provide more detail and answer questions if they're helpful... or you can literally read every thought/fear/decision along the way at our blog...
www.theDangerz.com
whatever works better for you.

The simple "cliff notes" version is:
- put your mind to it
- ignore everyone who tells you it can't be done
- make the hard sacrifices and changes
- set deadlines and refuse to change them
- at some point... take the LEAP and figure the rest out along the way
- make ALL your decisions based upon happiness and collecting experiences rather than money or status quo.
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 23:59   #77

This is a great thread, thanks everyone. We have a 5 and 7 year old and are buying our first yacht this year, with a view to a year off next year.

I am in a slightly different place as I have heaps of sailing experience; the mrs has a bit but enough to know she's keen

Little to add on observations about boats and learning. It definitely horses for courses, and as a total beginner you can't make that choice. For you, I would definitely recommend getting time on the water/ around boats/ with others, in whatever capacity. Racing, dinghies, cruising with some old salt, helping the coach at your local sailing school. It'll be FREE and you'll make some friends along the way. I would be doing all that before spending a dollar on my own boat.

Based on experience with kids so far, I believe they can take a vast amount you Chuck at them, as long as you pick your moments and weather carefully, make sure there's fun and diversions along the way, empathise with their inner struggles (yep, this is a long walk! Rather than c'mon, keep up). And make sure their basics are cared for...if they are cold and hungry, you have zero chance of making it fun even if sun is out and it's force 3.

Last year we took the girls (then 4 and 6) up a seven mile hillwalk in Yosemite; 500m vertical. They loved it. Lots of stops, lots of snacks, lots of songs, and a little time on my shoulders. Nobody believes we did that; they say it was the highlight of their holiday.

Best of luck.
richr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 10:26   #78

Hi!

We are also on the journey to a cruising lifestyle, family of 4 with 2 kids, currently 2 and 8.

I've been 'planning' this trip for 25 years, ever since I did a year long Atlantic Circle with my family when I was 7/8 years old. I also crewed a boat for 4 months on another Atlantic crossing when I was in my 20s.

My husband has never done any long term sailing, strictly day sails, but we get out sailing every summer on a small day sailor that friends of ours let us use. Definitely get out and sail as much as you can.

The main advice I have for you is to start downsizing now. Make big life changes (slowly if you prefer) to stop acquiring 'stuff' and to get rid of as much 'stuff' as you can.

Examples of how we have done this:
  • 4 years ago we started encouraging NO presents at our son's birthday parties. This year we aren't even doing a party, he got to invite one friend to do something fun instead. We do still give 1-2 presents from us for birthdays.
  • Encourage experiences over gifts from family. This also involves teaching kids that experiences are valuable, and spening time with loved ones will produce more long-term happiness than the latest greatest toy.
  • Taken a good look around our house and decided what we really can live without, and gotten rid of it ASAP
  • Taken it slow with the kids, our son has now started giving us things he no longer plays with to put in the 'yard-sale' or 'get rid of pile' with no promting -after almost a year of talking about downsizing and encouraging him to look through his things for things he doesn't use anymore
  • Encouraged others to not buy us stuff - this one has been hard on family (friends have been much easier) we live in a culture that puts a lot of value on stuff, and on giving gifts. We are on year 3 of asking for no gifts for holidays, and yet still receiving some regardless. But it has gotten better - slow progress

The other thing we are working on is income while we are gone. We thought about real estate/investing in a 2 family - or just renting out our house, but we have ultimately decided to to neither - as the strain of having ties back home and managing property from a distance is something we don't want to deal with. Instead we plan to work remotely (we have been brushing up on skills that will make us marketable in the remote work fields) and we plan to stop in various places and work along the way. My husband has a very versatile skill set that is in demand all over the world, he will have no trouble finding work wherever we are. I plan to work remotely as much as possible.

For homeschooling we haven't looked into it much yet, but will probably start with a pre-fab system, and morph to a more 'un-schooling' system throughout the years. Our son LOVES traditional school currently, so its a bit scary to think about pulling him away from that - although his cousins are home-schooled full time and he constantly asks to be home-schooled like them. So I think the transition will go okay.

For boats I suggest starting to look through online listings now. Not to buy, but to get familiar with what is out there, at what price range, and what designs you like/don't like. I'd also make a list (after you look through hundreds of boats) of things you know you want in your boat, a must have list, and a 'nice to have' list, and a 'absolutely not' list will help you to narrow down your choices. We plan to buy the smallest boat we can comfortably live on - as the bigger the boat, the more $$ goes to maintenance and upkeep. We recently met with a couple (who wrote the book 'Into the Light, great read - its inspired us to add high latitude sailing to our plans) who circumnavigated on a 25' sailboat, and had 3 children along the way. Most families these days live on minimum 40' boats - but as long as your expectations are in check, you can go smaller. We are looking at boats in the 35'-45' range.

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions I can answer - I love to talk to other families about similar plans and methods of getting there!
Jelainea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 12:28   #79

Boat: Morris Justine 36'

We have kept a blog over the past 10 years of planning for our trip which might help
Old 02-07-2020, 00:31   #80

Boat: Caliber Yachts/Caliber 38

Wife died 2 months ago. Although she wasn't a sailor, we both fell in love with St. Petersburg, Fl. She was fully onboard with the idea of condo for us, with slip for me. Cancer changes things. Blessed with four extra years with my bride. I miss her terribly.

People instantly told me not to make any rash decisions. I’m an RN. Great job, good money, and kinda valued these days. However, landlocked with just a river to sail. family scattered. Back aches, working with people who have never heard of Star Trek.

Downsizing unintentionally started right away. With family here, I made sure everyone had whatever they wanted of Karin’s that would be cherished.

I’m a sailor. Within a month I started to think “Why not me. Why not now?”

I sold my mistress, Chinook, a 25 ft sloop.

Gave a bed, dresser, tv, cooking pans and utensils to a neighbor’s sis, a single mom in need.

Realized in 21 yrs, I would be 80. It was time to go. Talked it over with Karin’s daughter, and she thought it was a great idea.

Unable to donate to goodwill, etc (closed due to covid). so called an estate sale company.

I went over everything in the house I wanted, or for a family member. the rest, the estate sales co. promised to sell or give to charity. Last weekend, even with covid, they had a 3 day sale. completely emptied my house, and Wrote me a check for $2600. The money wasn’t the big thing. It was having an empty house so could clean/spruce up and sell.

House goes on the market in 7 days. so much to do and so little time.

Yet it’s happening. In real time. Here is a pic of my sum total possessions, after 59 yrs. It’s mostly sailboat necessary or friendly. crabpot, west system epoxy, cat, tools, lots of tupperwear.

I got rid of cable (100/mo. saved). good thing. was getting by with hd antennae until someone bought the big screen tv! no time for it anyway. it seems to be happening so fast. have had so many obstacles since my wife’s death. yet everything gets solved or some kind person Fixes things.

Ed Robinson in his book Leap of Faith put it best. Quit consuming. You’ve done your part to support the economy. It’s someone else’s turn.

So I’m not there yet, but well on the way. Part of it seems to be about detaching oneself from society. Holy cow, a few months from now may not need a car, or auto insurance! House insurance. cable tv. water/sewer/garbage bills. Electric bill. Property taxes. Scary.
chriskilmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 00:48   #81

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Lived aboard as a kid, was around boats my whole life, getting back aboard as a adult just felt right.

That said it’s also nice to have a house, even if you rent it out, as a base, as well as for some storage.
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:37   #82

Boat: Bali 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskilmer View Post
Wife died 2 months ago. Although she wasn't a sailor, we both fell in love with St. Petersburg, Fl. She was fully onboard with the idea of condo for us, with slip for me. Cancer changes things. Blessed with four extra years with my bride. I miss her terribly.

People instantly told me not to make any rash decisions. I’m an RN. Great job, good money, and kinda valued these days. However, landlocked with just a river to sail. family scattered. Back aches, working with people who have never heard of Star Trek.

Downsizing unintentionally started right away. With family here, I made sure everyone had whatever they wanted of Karin’s that would be cherished.

Gave a bed, dresser, tv, cooking pans and utensils to a neighbor’s sis, a single mom in need.

Realized in 21 yrs, I would be 80. It was time to go. Talked it over with Karin’s daughter, and she thought it was a great idea.

Unable to donate to goodwill, etc (closed due to covid). so called an estate sale company.

I went over everything in the house I wanted, or for a family member. the rest, the estate sales co. promised to sell or give to charity. Last weekend, even with covid, they had a 3 day sale. completely emptied my house, and Wrote me a check for $2600. The money wasn’t the big thing. It was having an empty house so could clean/spruce up and sell.

Yet it’s happening. In real time. Here is a pic of my sum total possessions, after 59 yrs. It’s mostly sailboat necessary or friendly. crabpot, west system epoxy, cat, tools, lots of tupperwear.

I got rid of cable (100/mo. saved). good thing. was getting by with hd antennae until someone bought the big screen tv! no time for it anyway. it seems to be happening so fast. have had so many obstacles since my wife’s death. yet everything gets solved or some kind person Fixes things.

Ed Robinson in his book Leap of Faith put it best. Quit consuming. You’ve done your part to support the economy. It’s someone else’s turn.

So I’m not there yet, but well on the way. Part of it seems to be about detaching oneself from society. Holy cow, a few months from now may not need a car, or auto insurance! House insurance. cable tv. water/sewer/garbage bills. Electric bill. Property taxes. Scary.
Good for you!
You know better than most that life is short, and its awesome to hear that you're using the transition to chase your dream down!
It's amazing how fast the change can happen once you're open and start pursuing it.

And yes it's a bit scary... but know this from the other side.
You aren't so much detaching yourself from society as simply moving on from the one you've always known. There's another one waiting for you out here!
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 09:51   #83

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
I'm really sorry to hear of your loss Chris. Someone has a quote in their signature here by Isak Dinesen : "The cure for anything is salt water — sweat, tears, or the sea." Are you still in Washington? Or are you headed to FLA to start the new adventure?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:03   #84

Thanks Don. Saw that quote. Loved it. Yes still here. House sign goes up next Wed.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:22   #85

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Thanks Don. Saw that quote. Loved it. Yes still here. House sign goes up next Wed.
Well if you find yourself coming down the west coast by chance and you end up down this way (So Cal,) let me know. You might find a little cove to call home for a while; I'll bring you out a couple months worth of provisions!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 22:02   #86

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:

When one gets older and life throws a few curved balls things change, I am in a similar scenario at the moment. I never owned a house and most of the time lived on boats, however i still accumulated 'stuff'. Cars, bisycles, tool and things in storage mostly at friends places.
Over the last year or so after surviving a medical thing I seriously started removing unwanted weight and started downsizing big time.
With this virus thing going on globally its a bit hard to plan far away boat adventures at the moment so its cruising close to home.
The thing is I feel I can breath again..
Life on the fringe is good.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:50   #87

House sold. fixed inspection items. its a whirlwind. tonite had to grab myself. Chris, you only have 3 more nites in this house and youre going to be homeless (homefree?). so went and tackled the dreaded clothes issue. how many to keep....short/longtime sleeve, 100% cotton vs blend. First out, the cool looking shirts or pants you have never worn. you leave, do something else. then come back later and try to reduce your remaining clothes by half.I don’t need 20 pairs of shorts.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:32   #88

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
you will need to seriously downsize at least 2 or 3 times. then maybe try living in one of your empty closets to get the feeling of being on a boat
I haven't gone through all the posts, but this is the way to do it. Or at least the way I did it. But my kid was grown and the last step to full-time liveaboard happened after my 15-year-old dog died. Most important is to quit buying stuff (my problem with too many sport and travel interests) and try to live in as small a space as you think you possibly can. Then sail as much as you can so everyone knows what that feels like in all sorts of weather. The debt, however, is your anchor.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 12:45   #89

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by LF4 View Post
Mainly plant based works really well for us. We are vegetarians...(But we do eat clams)

But is no refrigerator really a thing? Even a mini-fridge?

Additionally, our family loves to cook and our kids take to actively participating in the process whenever we allow.
With their boat budget, they will have a fridge and a freezer.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:56   #90

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by LF4 View Post
...The other issue is living on it in the winter. Can you do this?..
In the climate of Philly this will be harder. You must look carefully at how you will provide heat on the boat, quite a bit of heat (my boat requires 11,000BTU in below freezing conditions) and what about the river water freezing? A full boat cover will keep snow off the deck.

However, smart people (yourselves) and advice of others will get you past this obstacle . I would take that as a challenge.

One thing I took pains to avoid: We never quit. We knew that if we bailed out when it got tough, and moved ashore, it would be a slippery slope to always taking that path in the face of adversity.

And there is little more satisfying than being down below, cozy, snug, and safe, maybe with the flickering light of a diesel fired heater, while outside the icy storm rages.

Tags
boat