Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 17:23   #121
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Four People and a Sailboat. The Quest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
That's just it anyone can't go sailing. , they just think they can.

Dave
Do you really think its like flying a plane?My older brother bought a 40 ft sailboat with 3 cabins and is doing fine ,knock on wood...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 17:28   #122
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Seriously, I do beleive its the height of irresponsibility to suggest buying a big boat, dumping the wife and kids on it, and sailing off. Had it been suggested you are learning, crewing, attending classes , building some knowledge, I,d be kinder.

I've seen too many failed dreams, broken relationships, injuries and in one case loss of the boat, to be in then" just go for it" crowd. It's an attitude I find irresponsible

Dave
Old 01-01-2013, 17:52   #123

Boat: Robertson&Caine Leopard 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
One more thing. Are you sure you're commited to a monohull? Cats have a lot less draft which seems to be a primary concern of yours.
category4jay, yeah! We are now looking at catamarans!
The Wauquiez 49 we fell in love with got sold to another...and it was the end-of-the-world-day...then we started thinking of a Catalina 42 mk ii, but this boat, although comfortable inside and with three cabins, is not the best option when it comes to safe long ocean passages, we were told. And the guy who told us this, who has been sailing and cruising since the dinosaurs and is now repairing boats at a hard-core boat yard, also suggested catamarans! The same day we accidently found a book: The Cruising Catamaran Advantage, and the same day we red your comments here! Freaking coincidences that suddenly make lots of sense...

About thomm225 comment, I have only this to say: ...

(Many obstacles on the way; pass them at a safe distance and just keep going towards destination.)
thelifenomadik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 17:54   #124

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Quote:
BTW family cruiser keep it going Man! Im just "chiming" in from Arizona but I still wish you success. To be fair I do think thomm225 does mean well but dont let him or anyone "get" to ya. Remember its all in the delivery right?

Tis in the delivery for sure. Its when someone tells me there's an issue with what I'm doing with my children. Hence the name calling that I just dont do. Feel bad about it now
We actually enjoy each others company, so close quarters really isnt an issue. In fact all four of us, in the V watching a movie, is not uncommon. Plus my girls are tiny. Those berths are like their own private cave. Its easy to forget that that's like the coolest thing ever to a 4 yr old.
Nothing anyone says will sway us from our plan.
The more research we do, the better this is sounding. Since we bought the boat, and cruised the Chessy for the summer, the only bummer, was winter.
With our 18 yr old graduating we had to hold off til then but no better time afterwards.
Only hard part of our trip will be fulfilling our commitment to return to the Chessy next summer IMO.
Wife might get tired of it though, who knows. Figure that out as we go.
Same reason I want to take the wife and kids on a circumnav of delmava to see how they handle offshore. Although I grew up on the Chessy, I am exNavy and spent months sailing around P.I. while stationed there. (Catalina 22's for $7 and San Migul for pennies, those were some days!!!)
I should be ok. Been in some rough stuff before, but still would be nice to know that if a blow comes, they dont end up skipperless. I mean that was a bunch of years ago, who knows, right?
Hopefully none of us get sick and we can do offshore hops with some ICW thrown in for interesting places to educate the girls.
Anyway, back to your thread, already in progress...
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 21:43   #125

Boat: J30
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Seriously, I do beleive its the height of irresponsibility to suggest buying a big boat, dumping the wife and kids on it, and sailing off. Had it been suggested you are learning, crewing, attending classes , building some knowledge, I,d be kinder.

I've seen too many failed dreams, broken relationships, injuries and in one case loss of the boat, to be in then" just go for it" crowd. It's an attitude I find irresponsible

Dave
From a guy named 'goboatingnow'. Hmmmm. That's funny right thar.
Nago Suka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:19   #126

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...uda-91566.html is a good thread for you to read. I just want to get the negative stuff out of the way first, before I get into the how-to or the encouragement part. A lot of folks jump in with both feet and find it just doesn't work for them. A lot of others come to grief or nearly do, for getting in over their heads without taking the baby steps first.

I suggest a learner boat first. Something under 30' and in all respects ready to sail. IOW, get the seller to take you out for a sail. Use the head. Try drinking the water. Cook something. Take a nap. Take the tiller or wheel under the seller's instruction. Hoist and lower sails. Reef. Start and stop the engine, motor in and out of the slip or ramp. And I would consider a trailer sailer first. Avoid paying a marina for a slip. Get comfortable with the boat. Take someone knowledgeable out with you the first few forays into inshore waters. Take the family on day sails, then try a few overnights, then a few multi-day cruises, before heading out into blue water. This first boat of course should be a used one, since it is your temporary boat. New boats depreciate quickly and heavily. An oldie but sorta still goodie can often be sold for what you paid for it, so you are only gonna be out for whatever you fixed or added on. THEN make the final decision on whether to go for it or not.

You sound capable and motivated, and I don't see why you can't pull it off. But take the baby steps before jumping into the marathon. In some ways long-term cruising is similar to nomadding, but in many ways it is waaaaay different. It is a different world. Your RV can't sink. At least if you drive with your eyes on the road, it can't. If it catches fire, you can make a hasty exit if you can't put it out immediately. You usually are no more than an hour or so from help, when you are on the road. You know someone is gonna pass by, sooner or later. The road stays relatively flat, and it goes somewhere, and you can see it and follow it. Hardly anybody ever falls overboard in the night, from an RV. Life on a boat is a whole different enchilada. Don't get too far in, too fast.

Good luck and I hope you end up doing this thing, safely and happily.
GrowleyMonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:29   #127

Boat: Bristol 27

If you take a look, my comments only exist in Familycruisers post. I thought about it then deleted it (before he posted) but I think I did make a point which was supported by some.

I was attempting to soften it some when I got called away, but even in it's present state, I didn't start calling people names. I was just pointing out maybe the lack of experience (and possibly bad judgement) of some of those giving advice.

Happy New Year; Spring will be here soon!

Tom

Btw, we raced here a week or so ago out in the bay. The water temp was around 48 degrees...........
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:44   #128

I just read that Familycruisers guy is ex-navy! Jeez

I was in the Marines. No wonder there is a disagreement here! I'm about to head off to work.................on a Navy Base.

You can't get away from these guys (-:
Old 02-01-2013, 04:00   #129

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
You may want to stay away from catamarans being new to sailing. Cats don't roll back upright if they flip (get knocked down). You can right a small catamaran, but if you flip a large one, you aren't going anywhere.
How about guns on board and anchors? Any advice there?
Old 02-01-2013, 04:12   #130

Quote:
BTW family cruiser keep it going Man! Im just "chiming" in from Arizona but I still wish you success. To be fair I do think thomm225 does mean well but dont let him or anyone "get" to ya. Remember its all in the delivery right?
Jay, I just included you in my comment because you are from Arizona. I didn't have any seasickness problems floating down the Colorado near Yuma nor did I see too many large waves while swimming at Senator's Wash.

I must say though you are one positive individual.

Don't mind me and Family Guy; we just have a natural feud going him being a yankee and all! (and ex-navy!)
Old 02-01-2013, 06:20   #131

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Quote:

Don't mind me and Family Guy; we just have a natural feud going him being a yankee and all! (and ex-navy!)
Whoa, hold on! I was eod, i loved you guys. If it wasnt for ya'll they would have shot at us a heck of alot more!
Seriously, only thing that got my hackels up was the cramming the family comment.
Then you go and break bad with the multi crowd, you're batting a thousand sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowleyMonster View Post
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...uda-91566.html is a good thread for you to read. I just want to get the negative stuff out of the way first, before I get into the how-to or the encouragement part. A lot of folks jump in with both feet and find it just doesn't work for them. A lot of others come to grief or nearly do, for getting in over their heads without taking the baby steps first.

I suggest a learner boat first. Something under 30' and in all respects ready to sail. IOW, get the seller to take you out for a sail. Use the head. Try drinking the water. Cook something. Take a nap. Take the tiller or wheel under the seller's instruction. Hoist and lower sails. Reef. Start and stop the engine, motor in and out of the slip or ramp. And I would consider a trailer sailer first. Avoid paying a marina for a slip. Get comfortable with the boat. Take someone knowledgeable out with you the first few forays into inshore waters. Take the family on day sails, then try a few overnights, then a few multi-day cruises, before heading out into blue water. This first boat of course should be a used one, since it is your temporary boat. New boats depreciate quickly and heavily. An oldie but sorta still goodie can often be sold for what you paid for it, so you are only gonna be out for whatever you fixed or added on. THEN make the final decision on whether to go for it or not.

You sound capable and motivated, and I don't see why you can't pull it off. But take the baby steps before jumping into the marathon. In some ways long-term cruising is similar to nomadding, but in many ways it is waaaaay different. It is a different world. Your RV can't sink. At least if you drive with your eyes on the road, it can't. If it catches fire, you can make a hasty exit if you can't put it out immediately. You usually are no more than an hour or so from help, when you are on the road. You know someone is gonna pass by, sooner or later. The road stays relatively flat, and it goes somewhere, and you can see it and follow it. Hardly anybody ever falls overboard in the night, from an RV. Life on a boat is a whole different enchilada. Don't get too far in, too fast.

Good luck and I hope you end up doing this thing, safely and happily.

Really good points. I know a catalina 23 thats asking for $3500. Its in excellent shape with a brand new o/b. On the water and they already have a tow vehicle. You could "camp" on that thing for weeks on end in some of the best cruising lands in sw florida, Florida Bay, Keys...
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:40   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by familycruisers View Post
Whoa, hold on! I was eod, i loved you guys. If it wasnt for ya'll they would have shot at us a heck of alot more!
Seriously, only thing that got my hackels up was the cramming the family comment.
Then you go and break bad with the multi crowd, you're batting a thousand sir!

I love catamarans and raced small ones for about 15 years on the Gulf Coast. I never had a cruising cat, but I do know if you are not paying attention you can flip one of those just like you can the smaller ones. Having flipped, pitchpoled, and otherwise crashed my boats at upward of 18-20 knots I do know what can happen................

and I broke one carbon fiber mast on a NACRA F17 which made for a pretty sad day as those masts were going for about $3,000.00 a pop at the time.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:01   #133
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
you can flip one of those just like you can the smaller ones. Having flipped, pitchpoled, and otherwise crashed my boats at upward of 18-20 knots I do know what can happen................

and I broke one carbon fiber mast on a NACRA F17 which made for a pretty sad day as those masts were going for about $3,000.00 a pop at the time.
Ooph. Landed on the rocks, did you? Not so nice
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:30   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Ooph. Landed on the rocks, did you? Not so nice
Actually I hate to say it, but it was a beginner's mistake. It was my first cat with a spinnaker and the mainsheet basically serves as the backstay when the spinnaker is up. (and) I had the spinnaker up and a small wind storm came through and I didn't have the mainsheet tight enough.

As I was pitchpoling, I heard a loud BOOM..................and when I surfaced I was totally tangled up in halyards, shrouds, sheets etc.......................and the mast was broken completely in half. I couldn't even get the boat righted. I was towed in inverted an hour or so later.

My previous boat was a NACRA 6.0 which is damn near indestructable like my earlier (2) Hobie 16s.

I did find a nice safe place to hangout though which was on the tramp between the hulls!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:59   #135
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Four People and a Sailboat. The Quest.

Great stuff... now we have the Multi vs Mono outa the way we can progress to the basic-comfy-luxi debate...
Here's the basic... Wharram Tiki 38 for sale (ref 1154)

Here's the comfy... Beneteau Blue II Catamaran 35 FUN Living!

As for the Luxi...
I'll leave that to the ones who know....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat