Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2016, 14:20   #16

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'
Re: Feline with experience now gets seasick

You mention that you came down the ICW and now you're sailing out of Key West for the past seven months. You don't mention however how soon your cat gets sick when leaving the dock or the conditions where you sail versus what they were like on the ICW. The ICW is a lot calmer than sailing the Atlantic or even the gulf. Is it possible that your cat was always prone to motion sickness but now that you are sailing in rougher waters you are seeing its motion sickness?

I wish you well and hope that you will keep us posted with the results of whatever you try. Good luck.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 18:02   #17

Boat: '83 Endeavour 40

Coming down the ICW, we experienced much worse conditions and both cats were fine, i.e., anchored in heavy blows, crossing choppy Delaware Bay, etc.

Cowboy now seems to be sick very shortly after leaving the dock, and because the cats are aboard we don't leave the dock unless conditions are good. We are not, "damn the torpedoes" type of sailors!

My first course will be to ask around for a good vet down here ( any suggestions welcomed), and take it from there.

I've heard of the Thunder Jackets, might be worth a look. Last resort would be some type of calmimg medication.

Thanks to the Community! I will keep you posted.
Old 03-07-2016, 19:20   #18

Can't diagnose a hannimal over the internet, BUT - in animals, just like in people, a contributing cause to mal-de-mer is anxiety.

First time out Miyu was hanging on for dear life, squealing and squawking and puking, claws dug firmly into the settee cushion as TrentePieds rolled. MyBeloved wasn't much better. The two of them were just making each other worse.

Next week-end he hid under the furniture and flatly refused to go. Next week-end I gor devious and got him in his carrier rather against his will. Calm waters that week-end, and a whole lot of smooching the cat and feeding him juice from some superior tinned salmon. Next week-end the carrier was left on the floor at home on Friday night, and Saturday morning Miyu was waiting in it. More smooches, more salmon juice. Now he's a trooper.

Not all that different from some sailing students I've had. It's all about reducing anxiety, but "psyching" a cat can be a little tricky.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 13:21   #19

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

Has he/she been tested for things like feline leukemia?
TomLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 21:23   #20

could be a worm it is better to talk with your vet
ElizabethMunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2016, 03:12   #21

Boat: Hinckley 49, Evening Star, originally owned by Lawrence Rockefeller

Carbon monoxide, check your exhaust
Back of Nigel calders diesel book specifically talks about a cat that went down with cm poisoning
Run engine at dock, and watch cat
Could be that simple and might've your canary

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Markhunter1097 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc