Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2017, 05:26   #16

Boat: Sabre 34
Re: Dogs into Turks - Wow what a PITA!

Has anyone seen the you tube guy with the two huge white dogs? The sailboat looks to be less than 40 feet with 3 crew. The video I saw, the crew was going to a crowded beach in a dinghy and the dogs were barking their heads off in the busy anchorage. Poor dogs.
mainsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:51   #17
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenton View Post
I think you fail to stand that foreign animals represent a threat to native ecosystem.
Many Pacific Islands have had their birds made extinct because cats have been introduced. Australian sheep were nearly wiped because of alien rabbits. Many native birds in NZ were made extinct because of exotics.
Protect the ecosystems you visit leave your dogs and cats, which carry host of parasites, at home. Rabies is the least of the problem.Then there are lionfish, pythons, kudzu etc.
As a conservation biologist I must tell you( and of course many others other) that in your innocence you are a major threat to delicate ecosystems.
I know enough pet lovers to know that I'm wasting my time. But maybe someone back in the states might hear my plea and leave their dogs behind with relatives.

pdenton, PhD
Obviously.

There are also the small islands and beaches functionally destroyed by dog walkers that don't clean up. Bird roockeries disturbed.

More obviously, they post the rules, which means it was made obvious they wanted you to leave the pet at home, and you knew this before you took the pet aboard. Their rules.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:18   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

dgordon11, I sailed from Freeport to St Maarten stopping everywhere along the way. Prior to departure I got the Titer test from the U.S. and carried it with me along with all my dog's up to date shot records. Never had a single issue anywhere. Most of the time the customs officers did not ask for any paperwork on the dog. They may have rules on the books regarding importation of animals in all these countries but enforcing them is another story. Most of these carribean countries can't even keep the power on most of the time, let alone worrying about people sailing through with a pet onboard. BVI was most restrictive but I just gave them my paperwork and got an importation permit.
Did someone really post a statement about it being cruel to have a dog living on a boat???? My dog has suffered so much on our adventures, maybe I should be jailed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Crooked Island- Atwood Harbour 008.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	324.5 KB
ID:	144984  
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:26   #19

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
My dog has suffered so much on our adventures, maybe I should be jailed.
Dog does look a little stressed!
Old 09-04-2017, 17:15   #20

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainsil View Post
Has anyone seen the you tube guy with the two huge white dogs? The sailboat looks to be less than 40 feet with 3 crew. The video I saw, the crew was going to a crowded beach in a dinghy and the dogs were barking their heads off in the busy anchorage. Poor dogs.
Sounds like Sailing Doodles. Actually, I would say poor captain. He has to wash the salt and sand out of their fur, clean up after them and deal with the paperwork when checking in to a new port. And feed them.

The dogs on the other hand get all the attention...they are always cuddled up with the girls!
Old 29-05-2017, 09:16   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Great post.
Quote:
I think you fail to stand that foreign animals represent a threat to native ecosystem.
Many Pacific Islands have had their birds made extinct because cats have been introduced. Australian sheep were nearly wiped because of alien rabbits. Many native birds in NZ were made extinct because of exotics.
Protect the ecosystems you visit leave your dogs and cats, which carry host of parasites, at home. Rabies is the least of the problem.Then there are lionfish, pythons, kudzu etc.
As a conservation biologist I must tell you( and of course many others other) that in your innocence you are a major threat to delicate ecosystems.
I know enough pet lovers to know that I'm wasting my time. But maybe someone back in the states might hear my plea and leave their dogs behind with relatives.

pdenton, PhD
Pdenton, I do not fail to understand any of your above comments. YOur comment about my 2 dogs on a leash, fully vaccinated being a threat to the ecosystem is ridiculous. ALso clearly you are not a dog owner.

We are moving to the USVI and this is our chosen method of transportation. We have fulfilled the requirements of Turks & Caicos, and respect the ecosystem. We have tried to comply with all requirements but they make it extremely difficult mostly in terms of TIME FRAME. A vert certificate within 7 days of arrival when there is no vet in George Town is impossible to accomplish. This is not a vacation so leaving the dogs at home is not an option.

It amazes me the assumptions people make with only half knowledge!!
dgordon11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 15:40   #22

Sorry I don't buy it. My little dog that bunks with me is no threat to the Oz sheep industry, or NZ exotic birds. I could see if I had a hold full of Cane toads , Pythons, Camels, Rabbits, Rats and elephants they might have reason to get a little anxious at the dock. But who brings a dog across the ocean with rabies. Please ! Give me a break! If they don't want tourists , that's a good way to keep them away because nowadays pets are considered family unless you are from Korea and then pets would be on the menu.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 15:53   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltasailor View Post
Why would you want a dog on a boat?
Well because its part of our family. For part time pleasure boaters its an option to leave a pet ashore but some of us live aboard so its not.
We have been aboard for 11 years, cruising for 8 and our dog is quite happy aboard, and incredibly healthy according to last vet check.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 15:58   #24

Other dogs can only wish they were loved and cared for as much as those two dogs on the sailing Doodles if that's who you mean. His dogs are living the dream for sure.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 16:07   #25

Boat: Custom 55

Wow, a lot of pretty harsh sentiments being posted here about our 4-legged friends.

I second that to suggest that my fully vaccinated, wormed, health-inspected, neutered pet is some kind of an invasive species posing a threat to ANY ecosystem is simply absurd.

Our little rescue mutt has been living on board with us for over 10 years, sailing somewhere around 15,000 bluewater miles in that time, visiting about a dozen countries.

He's happy as a clam to be out there with us. No, he doesn't like it when it gets rough, but who does? I can assure the fella who says that I'm committing animal cruelty by taking my dog cruising with us would feel differently if he were to see Baxter in action. He's perfectly fine at sea, and he's made some long passages with us.

We did fly him ahead to Europe prior to that crossing, because we knew it would be rougher than is comfortable for him, but tropical cruising? No problem at all. He spends most of his day waiting to go completely berserk when a whale shows up, or even better when we get a fish to strike.
Old 10-06-2017, 16:10   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsestes1 View Post
+1. Besides it's cruel to have a dog on a boat.
Based on what? Your obviously unqualified opinion?
Have lived aboard for 11 years with our dog, cruising past 8.
Numerous vets have commented on her good health and disposition.
Every year we see more and more cruisers (not tempoary gin palace boats) with dogs and cats, all seem very content and happy. Even met a boat cruising with 2 ferrets!

For some of us the boat is our home. There are even some cruisers with children, is that bad too?
Old 10-06-2017, 16:13   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
Wow, a lot of pretty harsh sentiments being posted here about our 4-legged friends.

I second that to suggest that my fully vaccinated, wormed, health-inspected, neutered pet is some kind of an invasive species posing a threat to ANY ecosystem is simply absurd.

Our little rescue mutt has been living on board with us for over 10 years, sailing somewhere around 15,000 bluewater miles in that time, visiting about a dozen countries.

He's happy as a clam to be out there with us. No, he doesn't like it when it gets rough, but who does? I can assure the fella who says that I'm committing animal cruelty by taking my dog cruising with us would feel differently if he were to see Baxter in action. He's perfectly fine at sea, and he's made some long passages with us.

We did fly him ahead to Europe prior to that crossing, because we knew it would be rougher than is comfortable for him, but tropical cruising? No problem at all. He spends most of his day waiting to go completely berserk when a whale shows up, or even better when we get a fish to strike.
Well said!
Old 10-06-2017, 16:18   #28

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvander View Post
..... For some of us the boat is our home. There are even some cruisers with children, is that bad too?
Oh my my my!!!! THAT should be an interesting new thread!!!
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 16:25   #29

Boat: Custom 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
Oh my my my!!!! THAT should be an interesting new thread!!!

Well, now that you mention it, I have probably seen as many signs regarding unattended/badly behaved children as I have about pets at various resort/marina type places...

Their rules-leave the kids at home! To do otherwise would be some variation of irresponsible or cruel!

(Joking... hold your fire!)
Old 10-06-2017, 16:52   #30

Quote:

pdenton, PhD
Using your logic and extrapolating the same could be said about humans, provisions, the boat they are on could all be a threat. And by extension all boats/planes can carry a bug/parasite/virus. And yet commerce, trade, tourism exists. Its called risk management, you mitigate by many means, and for pets having up to date vaccinations and vet certification of health.
Common sense should, and usually does, prevail.

By the way as a conservation biologist in Florida your value is being mitigated, note that France is offering 4 year opportunity for scientists involved with environmental fields.

Tags
dogs