Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2014, 06:30   #1

Bringing dogs into Panama

Does anyone have experience clearing into panama with a dog? We were thinking of spending the hurricane season on the Caribbean side of Panama, but not sure this would work with a dog. Noonsite is a tad vague: "Dogs need health and anti-rabies certificates and are not allowed to land. All other animals need health certificates. In practice, the procedure is quite relaxed."

So has anyone brought their dog into panama?
Svdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 12:40   #2

Boat: Cornado 25
Re: Bringing dogs into Panama

Need health certificate, be sure to get it certified by the closest Panamanian embassy before leaving the US.

Have your application for "Home Quarantine" (40 days, $130 cost) ready. Been a while, but the vet in Bocas was pretty laid back about the whole thing. Remember, there is a good possibility of making landfall in another country prior to Panama. Check there regs as well. Traveling with pets anywhere makes the whole entry procedure much more complicated.
capt-couillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 13:02   #3

Thank you for your input. Yes we have all the info, vet stuff, health certificate, needed forms etc, for our planned trip, for Mexico, Belize, and Guatemala, just a bit confused about Panama. We are leaving the US in a few weeks, wending our way south gradually, prob wouldnt be in panama for several months. Does panama require the health certificate to be certified by the dogs country of origin ( even if we would be arriving months after the application?) or from the most recent country prior to arriving in panama?

What a morass! We aren't even definite about Panama.. Just contemplating. I could call the panama consulate but that hasn't always worked out well with other countries. frequently the American based consulates haven't a clue re cruising sailboats with their lengthy time frames, they are more used to people flying .

Dogs do make it tricky, so far we have only gone to doggie friendly countries. Evidently panama may not be one of those!
Old 27-04-2014, 13:19   #4

In advance is no problem... best to get Panama Cert. before leaving US. While this site is geared toward air travel, the forms and requirements are the same. Porting in in Bocas, or San Blas is actually much easier than dealing with the officials at Tucomon airport.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.
capt-couillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 13:25   #5

Thank you! Wow I love this forum. Another question, the "home quarantine". Does this mean that Benny couldn't get off the boat for that time period. I could handle a home quarantine (lay around, eat, sleep, read, pick up a new hobby) but Benny is a party dog, and likes to go out and meet people.
Old 27-04-2014, 16:56   #6

Technically Benny is grounded... Reality will depend on your local official. You can ask, some are reasonable, some are not.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:38   #7

I arrived in Panama City April 30. No boarding, nothing. Did all my checkin at Flamenco. They cared not one wit that I have a dog aboard.
scottsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:58   #8

Thanks Capt and Scott. I always try to have my paperwork in order, be pleasant and respectful,look neat, but sometimes it just comes down to luck! (Sounds like life )

Well I'll stay flexible.....
Old 03-10-2018, 09:14   #9

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

We have a small dog we would like to bring with us on our next cruise to Central America. Any updates, recent experiences in 2017/2018 about bringing a dog on your boat from CA through Mexico and several countries to Costa Rica and Panama? I have the forms but the process sounds very complicated even though we will obviously get all the shots and treatments done before we leave. Due to the long timeframe between leaving US and entering Costa Rica and Panama, where we would like to spend some time, it is nearly impossible to strictly follow the rules we have read.

So if anyone on the forum has done this recently, would appreciate your detailed feedback. Any problem other than normal procedures for captain and crew, with stopping briefly in Guatemala, Nicaragua, El Salvador, or Honduras?

I looked at Panama to begin learning the requirements. Seems you must get the USDA health forms "legalized" by the Panamanian Consulate in Washington and then enter Panama within 10 days after that. Once in Panama you are supposed to go to the airport to get the home quarantine approval. It seems impossible to strictly follow the timing requirements.

Your detailed recent experiences would be very helpful.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 13:38   #10

Have your dog examined, current shots, etc. Make up a medical file with all included. Take the dog with you. Show medical records as required wherever you stop. Don’t bring it up unless specifically asked. The only place I had any trouble was Belize and it was because they wanted new shots. Cost $50. Took my dog from California to Mexico, Costa Rica, El Salvador, panama, Belize, Cuba, and Caymans all with no issues except needing shots in Belize
Old 03-10-2018, 16:37   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsquared View Post
Have your dog examined, current shots, etc. Make up a medical file with all included. Take the dog with you. Show medical records as required wherever you stop. Don’t bring it up unless specifically asked. The only place I had any trouble was Belize and it was because they wanted new shots. Cost $50. Took my dog from California to Mexico, Costa Rica, El Salvador, panama, Belize, Cuba, and Caymans all with no issues except needing shots in Belize
Ah, Belize...always a PITA. Were you actually required to have the shots administered or did they just ding you $50?

My experience is dated, but Ive cruised most of the NW Carib with pets aboard. Similar experience: no significant hassle except Belize. Most other Central American countries dont really care about your on board pets.

Some places, like Jamaica, were OK provided pets stayed aboard and/or did not leave marina grounds.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 16:58   #12

Had to get the shots and those cost me the $50. They told me there was some big fine, they acted all tough but in the end, I didn’t pay them anything extra.

Tags
dogs, Panama