Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2009, 20:03   #91

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
To funny. And I thought I was splurging with my little bbq, but a deep fryer! Let me at it.
So how many of us have the 25 bottle wine chiller in Stainless steel ?

Ah its the life.
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 10:40   #92
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Prout, Quasar, 50'
On the topic of showers aboard, we had a black bug sprayer on our Gemini and kept it full of water on the foredeck. We were in the water all the time and generally soaped up and rinsed off before we got back on the boat. Then we rinsed with the fresh water in the bug sprayer. It was amazing how hot the bug sprayer water was and how little we used to rinse off. It solved the problem of showers and we always felt clean and fresh. But we surely did enjoy taking a long hot shower when the opportunity arose.

Loree
Aboard SeaWolf
CruisersLife.com
Sea Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 11:33   #93
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Wolf View Post
On the topic of showers aboard, we had a black bug sprayer on our Gemini and kept it full of water on the foredeck. We were in the water all the time and generally soaped up and rinsed off before we got back on the boat. Then we rinsed with the fresh water in the bug sprayer. It was amazing how hot the bug sprayer water was and how little we used to rinse off. It solved the problem of showers and we always felt clean and fresh. But we surely did enjoy taking a long hot shower when the opportunity arose.
Well, in the tropics that water will be so hot that it'll burn and put you in the hospital. Better use it for spraying ants ;-)

What's wrong with a simple deck-shower at the stern? Even 20' powerboats have that.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 11:42   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
We are fulltime cruisers now and livingaboard for 38 years. Many of the items posted previously are important to us; many we enjoy, but don't find essential. What I find most essential to successful liveaboard-cruising is a mate who can stand a watch; manuver the vesel in open water and at the dock; make good navigation judgements and on occassion stretch back in the cockpit and exclaim, "I love our life"! 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 11:56   #95

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No deep-fry aboard???!!! How can you make fish and chips, french fries, spring rolls, egg rolls, prawn crackers, jalapeno poppers, the Dutch snacks like bitterballen, kroketten, vlammetjes, patato chips, banana chips, mango chips, fried plantains, chicken fingers, coconut fritters, conch fritters, fig puffs, sopapillas, oliebollen(!!!), eggplant fritters, frikandellen, beer batter fried chicken, tempura filled with anything, samosas, falafel, beer batter onion rings, chicken nuggets, corn fritters, calamaris fritti, tortilla chips, fried wontons, fried dim sums, fried chicken wings, beef taquitos, fried donuts, clam fritters, crab cakes, taco's, empanadas, hot dog on a stick, rellenos, hush puppies etc. etc.

Couldn't live without one. We use the old-fashioned type that goes on the stove burner.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 21-03-2009, 17:22   #96
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
No deep-fry aboard???!!! How can you make fish and chips, french fries, spring rolls, egg rolls, prawn crackers, jalapeno poppers, the Dutch snacks like bitterballen, kroketten, vlammetjes, patato chips, banana chips, mango chips, fried plantains, chicken fingers, coconut fritters, conch fritters, fig puffs, sopapillas, oliebollen(!!!), eggplant fritters, frikandellen, beer batter fried chicken, tempura filled with anything, samosas, falafel, beer batter onion rings, chicken nuggets, corn fritters, calamaris fritti, tortilla chips, fried wontons, fried dim sums, fried chicken wings, beef taquitos, fried donuts, clam fritters, crab cakes, taco's, empanadas, hot dog on a stick, rellenos, hush puppies etc. etc.

Couldn't live without one. We use the old-fashioned type that goes on the stove burner.

cheers,
Nick.
i use my wok......works great!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2009, 07:05   #97
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
No deep-fry aboard???!!! How can you make fish and chips, french fries ...
... Couldn't live without one. We use the old-fashioned type that goes on the stove burner.
Nick.
FWIW: I once heard a chef explain that one of the prime reasons that people dine out at restaurants, was because they didn't have a deep fryer at home.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 14:57   #98
CLOD

Boat: none
FWIW: I once heard a chef explain that one of the prime reasons that people dine out at restaurants, was because they didn't have a deep fryer at home.

Hey didn't I see that that on the Brit version of Kitchen Nightwares! seems in that show all the restaurants just fry stuff up. Maybe it is how we get around our guilt for wanting that deep fried goodness.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 15:59   #99
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
No deep-fry aboard???!!!

cheers,
Nick.
I would be far to worried about the danger. Nicolle loves popcorn and thats 2 mm of oil and I worry about her getting splatterd when hit by a wave. Or it catching fire. Touch wood.

Have you had any safety problems?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 22:20   #100

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You're trolling Mark ;-) No, we never use it when waves are around. But we do popcorn while passaging... the lid goes on and the hot pan itself is more dangerous than the spoon of oil in it.

The biggest trouble we've had while underway was brewing coffee. That's the reason we now always use a drip-coffee-maker instead of boiling water and pouring it into something.

We also have a fire blanket in the galley, something I never saw on another cruiser's boat yet...

cheers,
Nick.
Old 23-03-2009, 22:36   #101
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
You're trolling Mark ;-)
Nope, I was not.

Quote:
We also have a fire blanket in the galley, something I never saw on another cruiser's boat yet...

cheers,
Nick.
We had a fire on our first family boat with a metho (alcohol) stove... Dad and I lept to the Macho fire fighting business! We emptied all 4 dry powder extinguisers on it... to no avail.... while we were looking at each other wondering how far the swim to shore was, mum gently dropped a woolen blanket on the stove and smothered it.....

So YES! We have a fire blanket! Its to be used FIRST!

Mark
PS I think Mum was still cleaning off the white dry chemical powder till we sold the boat

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 03:55   #102
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Don:
Ever wonder what happens to a restaurant after Gordon Ramsay whips the staff into shape and redesigns the dining room on Fox's “Kitchen Nightmares”? Well according to Scottish newspaper, the Herald, more than half of the eateries have closed or been sold. Of the 20 restaurants that were featured on the US version of KN, 10 are now closed; 12 out of the 22 UK establishments faced the same grim fate.

Dream Ending For Ramsays Kitchen Turns Into A Nightmare (from The Herald )

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 15:31   #103
CLOD

Boat: none
Guess that is an example of lipstick on a pig...it's still a pig! I heard Ramey's restaurants are going under. Guess the new day job is screaming on TV for him.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard