Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 12:55   #61
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Wolf View Post
Same old same old... you're as negative a person as I've ever seen and don't seem to be able to help yourself from attacking others' lifestyles or decisions. If it's not your way it's the highway. To answer your question. I cruised for many years with my husband and daughter. Came home so she could go to land based high school and college. She's done and we're preparing to get out there again. Didn't do marinas when we cruised, but that was our choice. We were never had such a gawd awful almighty opinion that we condemned others for their choice of how they wanted to cruise. To each his own. One is not better than the other, it's just different.

Loree
Aboard SeaWolf.
loreeeee babeee--if truth an dhonesty in writing is negativity, then so be it---i am writing of not my OPINION but what i found out there this past december. life has changed since your dabbling in family cruising on board a nice richy rich catamaran. take or leve statements of fact. hqave a good life--juidge not lest thee be judged--i didnt polace my OPINIONS in my writing--i stated that which was seen and heard and found while out actively cruising. do that which you will--i am NOT your negative person,, as ,it seems, are you----takes one to think one knows one---i am no tinto bashing, as are obviously you----i merely state that which i found on the road cruising this past december--how long have you been away from th r3rd world nations you flouted your wealth within???? there ARE those out cruising , as you surely are aware, who also know of what i speak. oif you are tooooo richy rich to see this then you are mjore negative than am i. sorry to offend your delicate nature--quit bashing that which you still are unaware of. good luck in yopur negative pursuit of bashing all those you disagree with. statements of fact and opinion are 2 different things, honeee---wake up and drink your coffee.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 15:03   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
loreeeee babeee--if truth an dhonesty in writing is negativity, then so be it---i am writing of not my OPINION but what i found out there this past december. life has changed since your dabbling in family cruising on board a nice richy rich catamaran. take or leve statements of fact. hqave a good life--juidge not lest thee be judged--i didnt polace my OPINIONS in my writing--i stated that which was seen and heard and found while out actively cruising. do that which you will--i am NOT your negative person,, as ,it seems, are you----takes one to think one knows one---i am no tinto bashing, as are obviously you----i merely state that which i found on the road cruising this past december--how long have you been away from th r3rd world nations you flouted your wealth within???? there ARE those out cruising , as you surely are aware, who also know of what i speak. oif you are tooooo richy rich to see this then you are mjore negative than am i. sorry to offend your delicate nature--quit bashing that which you still are unaware of. good luck in yopur negative pursuit of bashing all those you disagree with. statements of fact and opinion are 2 different things, honeee---wake up and drink your coffee.
That truly is THE funniest defense of "I'm not negative, I don't judge others, and I'm only stating FACT" that I have ever seen.
MikeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 15:30   #63

Boat: Riviera 35
I don't think that any dictionary definition of "cruising" specifies fridge, number of crew, magayacht, visiting marinas or whatever. Different people do it in different ways, and, as they do it from choice, they choose how exactly they want to do it, and how much reliance they will place upon fuel, spares, and others to do their maintenance for them. It is a choice, based largely on how much you have to spend.

But, you have to be prepared for the fact that your fridge or whatever may pack up working at the most inopportune moment. And, that you will either have to be prepared to be ripped off to have it fixed, fly in a new one to the nearest airfield, fix it yourself, wait until you get to a port in a "developed(?)" nation, or just do without it.

The minimalist view is fine, if that's what you want. But whatever your view, if one is cruising third world, then you do need to be at least prepared to do minimalist, just in case.

Personally, I could live without my dishwasher on board, but won't, unless it goes wrong and I can't fix it, in which case, I may use paper plates, or only go into ports where I can phone for a pizza, or whatever. As a last resort, I shall just use one bowl and one cup for everything, and lick the plate clean.

Question for zeehag. Just wondering, do you have a watermaker?
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 16:50   #64

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
For Zeehag,

Let me get this straight -- you live aboard at anchor in Southern California, you went "actively cruising" last December on someone else's boat, and based on this you feel qualified to condem another cruiser's decisions about equipping their boat??? You feel OK about accusing them of flaunting their riches in third world villages?? Seems presumptious to this observer...

Now as to specifics, refrigeration on board in particular. For background, we cruised short-term for 10 years in a S&S 30, covering over 25K miles, and including a round trip SF/Hawaii/SF. No refrigeration... lost lots of food due to this lack... big fish were mostly wasted, veggies became unusable and so on. We did learn lots about how to survive under these conditions, but not how to enjoy them.

After Hawaii, decided we wanted to go long term. Sold the S&S, bought Insatiable I (a retired IOR one-tonner). No refrigeration. Did a one year shakedown cruise (SF/Mexico/French Polynesia/Hawaii/SF). Loved it, hated not having a fridge. Added insulation to existing icebox, installed a simple 12 volt Danfoss reefer. This unreliable equipment worked the remaining 15 years we owned her, and another 3 years for her new owner. Then the damn thing quit. Shabby stuff... But during those 15 years the fridge and the boat covered 86K miles of full time cruising, almost entirely in 3rd world areas, and we were really happy to have the "luxury" of longer lasting food, cool drinks, and unmelted butter. Pretty sybaritic (sp?), eh?

Then we lashed out and bought Insatiable II. She was 13 years old at that time, and her 12 volt Danfoss fridge was still working fine... and it still is 6 years later. During those 6 years the fridge and the boat have been continuously cruising, caught in the South Pacific Eddy, covering over 30K additional miles, and we are STILL glad to have the cool stuff, and would not be happy to be without this "luxury".

Now by your definition Ann and I may not be real cruisers. We fail some of your tests... 'cause we COULD fix the fridge if it failed (as could many of our fellow long term cruising friends), we have NOT been ripped off by rascally tradesmen, and we know and enjoy the company of cruisers rich and poor. One of the things we have learned over this wonderful period is that there are many ways of cruising, and they all work for some folks, and none would work for all of them.

Finally, I have to laugh at your description of a swim platform transom as an entryway for rascals. Yep, it is an easier means of entry, but seriously, do you think that having to climb over the rail and lifelines (like you do every time YOU board your boat) will slow down the bad guys?? Be serious, Zeehag -- surely you have more serious things to worry about!

The original theme of this thread was a seeking of helpful ideas for a live aboard boat, and there have been lots of suggestions. I don't agree with all of them, but each one has worked out well for someone, and they are all legitimate points of view.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Gladstone, Qld , Oz
Jim Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 18:03   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
For Zeehag,

Let me get this straight -- you live aboard at anchor in Southern California, you went "actively cruising" last December on someone else's boat, and based on this you feel qualified to condem another cruiser's decisions about equipping their boat??? You feel OK about accusing them of flaunting their riches in third world villages?? Seems presumptious to this observer...

Now as to specifics, refrigeration on board in particular. For background, we cruised short-term for 10 years in a S&S 30, covering over 25K miles, and including a round trip SF/Hawaii/SF. No refrigeration... lost lots of food due to this lack... big fish were mostly wasted, veggies became unusable and so on. We did learn lots about how to survive under these conditions, but not how to enjoy them.

After Hawaii, decided we wanted to go long term. Sold the S&S, bought Insatiable I (a retired IOR one-tonner). No refrigeration. Did a one year shakedown cruise (SF/Mexico/French Polynesia/Hawaii/SF). Loved it, hated not having a fridge. Added insulation to existing icebox, installed a simple 12 volt Danfoss reefer. This unreliable equipment worked the remaining 15 years we owned her, and another 3 years for her new owner. Then the damn thing quit. Shabby stuff... But during those 15 years the fridge and the boat covered 86K miles of full time cruising, almost entirely in 3rd world areas, and we were really happy to have the "luxury" of longer lasting food, cool drinks, and unmelted butter. Pretty sybaritic (sp?), eh?

Then we lashed out and bought Insatiable II. She was 13 years old at that time, and her 12 volt Danfoss fridge was still working fine... and it still is 6 years later. During those 6 years the fridge and the boat have been continuously cruising, caught in the South Pacific Eddy, covering over 30K additional miles, and we are STILL glad to have the cool stuff, and would not be happy to be without this "luxury".

Now by your definition Ann and I may not be real cruisers. We fail some of your tests... 'cause we COULD fix the fridge if it failed (as could many of our fellow long term cruising friends), we have NOT been ripped off by rascally tradesmen, and we know and enjoy the company of cruisers rich and poor. One of the things we have learned over this wonderful period is that there are many ways of cruising, and they all work for some folks, and none would work for all of them.

Finally, I have to laugh at your description of a swim platform transom as an entryway for rascals. Yep, it is an easier means of entry, but seriously, do you think that having to climb over the rail and lifelines (like you do every time YOU board your boat) will slow down the bad guys?? Be serious, Zeehag -- surely you have more serious things to worry about!

The original theme of this thread was a seeking of helpful ideas for a live aboard boat, and there have been lots of suggestions. I don't agree with all of them, but each one has worked out well for someone, and they are all legitimate points of view.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Gladstone, Qld , Oz
1--i am not on anchor--that is illegal i am compliant.
2--i do not have rails and lifelines in my way of boarding my boat
3-whatever flies up your skirt, love---there are many ways to cruise---read pardee
4--i am no expert, are you an expert?? aren't you the one calling me an expert out of sarcasm and ignorance???!!!!(ignorance as you have no idea of my circumstances nor of my history)
5- i would NEVER give thieves and such easy access to my life--i am glad you and others like you are there to deflect folks from my life and livelihood
6--i so do no tcondemn anyones will to cruise with what they wish to cruise ---isnt my life, thank the gods...
7-i am sooooo glad you are able to pass judgement on others as easily as you do, same with loreeeeee
8-re3ad the pardees books
9--i fyou had planned for lack of fridge you would not have lost so much foodstuffs when no fridge was available.

there ar emany folks who instead of reading the words, actually place their own feelings into the sentences and interpret as it were the sentences in their own fashion---game players. i donot do that---do you??omg--i hope you didnt sayu no to that one!!!!!!
have an ec=xcellent cruise---do no tmake judgements----i do not---i also do not bbash on folks who aee in th eprocess of doing the port leaving thing--0as you obfviously do.
yes--this has gone off track, and there is not one single thing or fitting that is universal for cruising.....everyone has an opinion an di have done a lot more cruising than just the one trip--judgementasl man. have a goood life--i hope your stuff keeps working and tha tyou never have to call on anyone for assistance or any other reason. i donot plan on doing any calling for anything----keep the thieves off your decks!!!! the economy isnt going to get better for a looooong time, honey-----life, love and laughter!!!!! and insatiable is an excellent way to describe greed........
Old 09-03-2009, 18:15   #66

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Is an Internet Connection a necessity?
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 18:49   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
Is an Internet Connection a necessity?
Yes. One needs to be able to point out to all those that pretend to be cruisers, all the comforts they need to do without in order to graduate to becoming real cruisers.

They only use the internet tho' if they have to first row 2 miles through rain then walk another 10 barefooted in order to get to an internet cafe.
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 18:59   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
Yes. One needs to be able to point out to all those that pretend to be cruisers, all the comforts they need to do without in order to graduate to becoming real cruisers.

They only use the internet tho' if they have to first row 2 miles through rain then walk another 10 barefooted in order to get to an internet cafe.

do not forget the bashing you NEED to do to folks who give info they learn....peculiar to this forum......
Old 09-03-2009, 19:01   #69

Quote:

That's what I thought.
Just needed to hear it.

Thanks,
Extemp.
Old 09-03-2009, 19:16   #70

Quote:

i so hope you clowns are speaking for yourselves...not about others you donot know at all......
Old 09-03-2009, 19:25   #71

Quote:
i so hope you clowns are speaking for yourselves...not about others you donot know at all......
zeehag,
You have a good point. I'll tell you what, I withdraw any of my comments which may not have been appropriate. I am also withdrawing from this thread. It was good, now it's not.

Extemp.
Old 09-03-2009, 20:05   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
zeehag,
You have a good point. I'll tell you what, I withdraw any of my comments which may not have been appropriate. I am also withdrawing from this thread. It was good, now it's not.

Extemp.
but there were/are sooo many---and they go along with the theme of this entire forum which most of the true sailing cruisers i know avoid like plague as this is the tendency--donot remove them---they are part of history and religion as we know it in this nation!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 20:13   #73

Boat: Samsara, a Ross 930
This thread is about expressing choices ...

Personally, I enjoy simple ways to achieve expensive ends. Like using LEDs to eliminate 30% of my generation needs.

My favourite toy at the moment is my silly little LED headlamp from Energiser. It has red and white modes, and is just brilliant for finding things in deep, dark lockers, working on engines, etc ...

Others may find my little headlamp (and engine) a wanton extravagance. There is a host of boats in any given anchorage. Each of which is built and configured very, very differently. Its all about choice.
roger.waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 20:33   #74

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
more thoughts

Quote:
i didnt want 50 ft because of the provisions in some ports demanding pilot board boat and take into some harbors--i will do that meself------i hate vee berths
......and i donot do marinas..
Zeehag,

1. I wonder which ports now require a pilot for a 50 foot yacht?

2. You "hate" vee berths... this must be one of your dispassionate "observations", not an opinion, cause you don't deal in opinions.

3. Hmm, you "don't do marinas", but you are not an anchor out. Just where do you keep your boat? You may not want to identify the specific spot for security reasons, but could you describe the sort of arrangement you have?

Zeehag, you seem pretty defensive and uptight. Maybe you should bring your years of preparation to an end and go cruising... it is a good life and we cruisers enjoy it!

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II (yes, another word for greed... why didn't I think of that)
Jim Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 20:35   #75

Boat: Islander 36
I like keeping things simple, and comfortable. I'm grateful for the days we live in that give us things like.... novacaine when I go to the dentist. When I see people who don't have all their teeth, I wonder if they like being without them.

Tags
living aboard