Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2012, 09:10   #1

Boat: Brewer 44
Quick - I Need 10 Quick Easy ... and Meatless ... Recipes !

So, I've recently offered to take over some of the galley duty for my pregnant wife and I'm looking for recommendations on your favorite quick, easy, and meatless recipes for lunch or dinner. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thx!
Old 18-01-2012, 09:17   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Quick, I need 10 quick, easy... and meatless... recipes!

lentil soup;
cup yellow lentils,4 cups water ,veg stock 2 cubes.fry onions&garlick in olive oil,dash of curry powder add lentils water and stock simmer for 30-40 mins.
stir or liquidise till even consistency.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 09:25   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

spanish tortilla
boiled potatoes,onion, garlick,flour ,salt ,origanum,olive oil,grated cheese
fry garlik and onion till brown in olive oil,add potatoes brown slightly.
mix 5 eggs with a dash of milk,salt,pepper,origanum,table sp flour and hand ful of grated cheese,beat till even const,add to fry pan on low heat,turn after 10-15 mins.
Old 18-01-2012, 09:26   #4

Boat: Island Packet, 35, - Serendipity

Black Bean Quesadilla
1 of your favorite pre-made soft tortilla's
1 can black beans
handfull of your favorite shredded cheese
heat tortialla shell on a non stick pan, add beans, cheese, fold in half, flip continue to heat till browned on the second side. Serve with salsa.
You can add additional spices as you see fit.
Eric M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 09:31   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

hhoumous;
2 cans chick peas, 20 ml lemon juice,lots of garlick,30 ml olive oil,tahini(ground sesame seeds)
drain chick peas,add all ingr together,puree or mortar and pestal till paste.
great with fresh bread and salad.
Old 18-01-2012, 09:34   #6

Boat: Cape Dory

Trader joe's cuban black beans - either heat (its already spiced) or add to sauteed onions, mushrooms, peppers. TJ's extra firm tofu - cube it and cook in a couple tablesoons of olive oil - when browning, add TJ's enchillada sauce and reduce (cooks the sauce down). You can make that with extras (avacado, lettuse, rice, mozzarela etc) on tortillas or as a side with fish, chicken -- whatever. Good stuff to learn how to spice too. Easy peazy.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 09:35   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

russian salad;
tin mixed veg,diced onion, garlick, salt, pepper,mayonaise......mix
Old 18-01-2012, 09:38   #8

Boat: Tartan 30

Pretty much any italian style pasta (youtube is a great resource for recipes).
Just cook the (whole wheat) pasta untill not quite done, throw some onions, garlic, green peppers, and anything else (zuccini,squash,eggplant, carrots, etc..) in a pan. Sautee that stuff for a few minutes, then throw in some tomatoes (diced, or canned whole tomatoes) and let it cook down until its thoroughly delicious. Add spinach, basil, or whatever else to it near the end. Then put the pasta into the sauce and finish cooking for a few minutes. use lots of olive oil... grate some fresh parmesian or similar cheese to finish it off.
Old 18-01-2012, 09:44   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

curried eggs;

curry powder,onion ,garlik,veg stock cube,4 boiled eggs,tin tomatoes,small tin of tomatoe puree,2 potatoes(optional)cut sinto chunks.

brown onion garlik in olive oil,when brown add curry powder n stockcube,saute 1 min then add tomatoes and puree,add 2-3 cups water stir till even,add potatoes n peeled boiled eggs,simmer 1 hour,serve with beans n rice

beans n rice
1 cup rice,1/4 cup black lentils salt,2 1/2 cups water,simmer till water gone,then stan for 10 mins
Old 18-01-2012, 09:48   #10

Boat: Tartan 30

one of my favorites is to just make some penne or rotini pasta, then throw in a can of peas and diced tomato, spinach (or some other green), and some white sauce, like a bechamel or alfredo, mix it all in the same pot and just heat through... delicious

There's some really simple recipes for white sauces online if you want to do it yourself, or just buy some basic alfredo.
Old 18-01-2012, 09:56   #11

Boat: Cape Dory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
Trader joe's cuban black beans - either heat (its already spiced) or add to sauteed onions, mushrooms, peppers. TJ's extra firm tofu - cube it and cook in a couple tablesoons of olive oil - when browning, add TJ's enchillada sauce and reduce (cooks the sauce down). You can make that with extras (avacado, lettuse, rice, mozzarela etc) on tortillas or as a side with fish, chicken -- whatever. Good stuff to learn how to spice too. Easy peazy.
Uh Oh, I am betting they don't have a TJ's in Grenada! How will you two (3) eat???? Oi! Maybe Wheaties and beer?
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 10:12   #12

Here's one that is quick after you make Seitan. Make enough to store for a few days. Then I have a recipe that will take 5 minutes. If you can't make Seitan. Use tofu. But Seitan is more chicken like and really good.

Seitan (aka wheat meat)
1 cup of vital wheat gluten, mix in 1 t each of garlic powder and ginger powder.
Add in a mixture of 3/4 cup of veg. Broth and 2 T of soy sauce. Mix and knead 10-15 times. Slice into cutlets. Simmer in 6 c of broth covered for 1 hour. It will double in size. Store in its own broth.

Quick stir fry using the Seitan:

On a high flame:
Add a touch of oil to skillet. Add crushed peanuts, stir. Add garlic, stir. Add Seitan cut into strips, stir. Add 2 T of apple cider vinegar, stir. Add peas, soy sauce to taste and some scallions. Add hot sauce too if you like spice.

Mmmmmm good. All that should only take 5 minutes. Key is high heat and stirring.

Serve with rice
KeysDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 10:15   #13

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Here's one I like. A Monastery Vegetarian Cookbook w/ 1400 recipies. They have recipes like unham, unpork, unchicken & unbeef all made with tofu. very good reccipes. The unchicken pot pie is a regular.

Amazon.com: Simply Heavenly!: The Monastery Vegetarian Cookbook (9780028612676): Abbot George Burke: Books

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cookbook.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	36175  
Old 18-01-2012, 10:35   #14

Cook dried black beans in a pressure cooker with medium or hot salsa, stir in a can of corn at the end. Or, saute onions, garlic, broccoli put in a casserole, cover with a mixture of eggs, grated cheddar cheese and milk and seasonings and bake an hour.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 10:47   #15

How far along is she?

A word of caution: curry, spicy, and lots of beans are very likely to cause heartburn and stomach upsets in a pregnant lady (don't know about her digestion, but I'm scared to even think about beans right now). Should that happen, make a tea for dessert:

- ginger,
- mint (peppermint, spearmint, melissa or all combined),
- chamomile.

Brew for at least 5 min.

I would suggest maybe something slightly blander, like mashed potatoes mashed with cheese and salad, rice frittata, ripe plantains sauted with sweet pepper and onion, or just rice stir fried with egg and veggies (cook rice, saute veggies, add cooked rice, add eggs, cook until done - quick, tasty, and several flavour options).

Eggs, chickpeas, quinoa (try with squeezed orange juice and green onions) are high in protein which would be very good for the baby growth. Eggs are also high in vit A and phosphoryl choline. This last one, together with olive oil and nuts (not peanuts), is important for healthy brain development.

Cheese and milk products are also important for good bone and teeth development.

You can also combine cooked rice (or other grain), chickpeas, fresh diced red onion, fresh diced tomato, black pepper, and some salt. Can also add shredded cheese or boiled egg.

If you tell us what fresh produce you have in the galley, we can give more specific recipes.

For something special, but still very quick, you could try a chilled almond soup (got to have a blender though):

1 cup day-old bread without crust (not the square type)
2 cups almonds
3 peeled garlic cloves
1 tb red vinegar or lime/lemon juice
1 cup olive oil
salt and black pepper
about 1.5 cups ice-cold water
some pretty fruit that would go well with almonds (or you just have nearby)

1. Soak bread in cold water for 2-3 minutes, squeeze out excess water, and set aside.
2. Put garlic, almonds, bread, vinegar/juice and oil into a blender and blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Then, with motor running, slowly pour in ice-cold water until the thickness is of double cream. Consistency is important as too thick would feel cloying, too thin would be unsubstantial, so taste often.
3. Ladle the soup into bowls. Cut the fruit into thin wedges and lay it in the centre of the bowl. Drizzle with a tiny amount of olive oil.

This recipe was taken from "A year in my kitchen" by Skye Gyndell with a slight mod.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipes