Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2009, 16:07   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
pirate Cuban Rum -

Hi guys, I'm planning to stop at Cuba on my way south, where amoung other things I plan to stock up on rum(dark).... Is it possible to by it by the barrel? Or in any other bulk container that won't smash?
If so, do you have any suggestion for Brands and places to buy it?
Old 29-01-2009, 20:13   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Not sure about what to buy. Cuban rum is clearly not the very best but you might buy some you like after tasting it.

The real problem comes when you land some place else. Declaration or spirits is a most common requirement as one enters a country and contacts Customs officials. This can be a problem since failure to declare is a criminal offense. The smuggling or liquor and weapons is an age old trade that is fought by experienced agents of the government. There are limited ways to smuggle illegal goods across borders with the intent to defraud tax collectors. They have been at it longer than you have been alive and are prone to apprehension. It's a sort of you vs. them game. They have the advantage.

Those that might sell you the rum would be well aware of the fact. They may choose to take advantage of your ignorance and collect on both ends as it were. A customs issue is never in your personal best interest. The financial advantages are less than the penalties.

If you have to ask then it means you really don't want to get into a career in rum running as an amateur. Being a criminal activity we ask you don't pursue such planning here in this forum at the risk of being ask to leave. It's not that we don't like rum but after you are gone we will still be here. We don't care to answer questions that we should have never been asked. We are forced to take a you can't plan criminal activity here position.

We also carry a US perspective legally while most of the civilized world has no problem with Cuba the US government officially still does. Transiting to Cuba for non US sailors is best done without an connecting leg to the US mainland or it's vicinity at the risk of being "contacted" by the USCG. They do and you should expect it at least until normal relations resume. It may or may not happen anytime soon, but it has not happened so stay tuned, new president not withstanding.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 20:27   #3

Pblais, I am not a smuggler! I just like my rum and I know Jamaican rum is better but I don't have time to visit both Cuba and Jamaica before hurricane season, and I've always wanted to visit Cuba. I know there would be difficulties if I were to go to Cuba and then return to the US, but that is not my intention. I just heard that spirits are expensive in the South Pacific, and as rum is my drink, I figured the Caribbean would be a good place to stock up. I am aware of US veiw's on Cuba, but I was under the impression that this was an international crusing forum.
Old 29-01-2009, 20:29   #4

Though I too have great hope for Obama, as does the rest of the world I think. Lets hope for this milenium to be a better one...
Old 29-01-2009, 20:35   #5

And I wouldn't be buying dozens of barrels, my thought were for a 30+ day supply that wouldn't get smashed in heavy seas. Barrels seemed a good idea for that. And in my mind I had pictured those 2 gallon kegs, rather than a 40gallon drum like you would get for beer...
I realise now how this may of given the wrong impression, but my question still stands, although I hope you understand my reasons now...
Old 29-01-2009, 20:53   #6

Boat: 2006 Island Packet 440
Never had any cuban rums, but plenty of fine rums can be found throughout the Caribbean. Instead of stocking up on 1 rum from any one place, I suggest sampling the local rums as you work your way through the Carib. I think a Caribbean cruising itinerary based on rum distilleries would be a fine idea!

We rummies have our opinions. I suggest visiting some of the following sites for a little research:
Welcome to the - Ministry of Rum
el machete's rum reviews
rum distilleries, sugar plants in Marie-Galante, Guadeloupe, with the Tourist Board
LastMango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 20:57   #7

Thanks!
Yes, I certainly intend on a wee bit of sampling whilst there, but any recommendations from people that have been there would be good too.

I shall check those links now...
Old 29-01-2009, 21:00   #8

... good to see Mount Gay got a gold medal... thats one of my favourites...
Old 29-01-2009, 21:02   #9

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
Mmmmm, rum. Never had any Cuban.

Wish I had some right now though, and a "barrel" sounds like a smashing idea.

Cheers

Bill
Old 29-01-2009, 21:10   #10

Well I'm guessing Wal-Mart isn't going to be an option for bulk buying of rum in Cuba, so failing any first hand advice, I guess my plan of action should be - visit local bar and sample rum... sleep it off... then visit the distiller the next day!
Old 29-01-2009, 21:22   #11

I have in my stash:
Pyrate XO & Pyrate Pistol - Fine sipping rums from Anguilla
Barbancourt 8 yr old & Barbancourt 15 yr old - Good sipping rums from Haiti
Barrilito 3 Star from Puerto Rico - good on the rocks or mixed with some things
Mt. Gay Extra Old, Mt. Gay Eclipse & Mt. Gay Sugar Cane rum - from Barbados (The Extra Old is my favorite all-around/all-purpose rum)
Cruzan 5 yr old & Cruzan Blackstrap - from St. Croix (the 5 yr old is great mixed)
Pusser's Rum - BVI/Trinidad (saving for a "painkiller" party *)

I've never done the French Caribbean rhums further down island, but it's in the long-term plan!

* Pusser's "painkiller
4 parts pineapple juice, 2 parts orange juice, 1 part cream of coconut and 2 to 4 parts Pusser's Rum. Fresh grated nutmeg on top.

one more rum link:
“Your Guide to Great Rum”
Old 29-01-2009, 21:24   #12

Good list, thanks, have tried and liked a couple of them.
Here's and obvious Cuban one I didn't think of but should of as its quite famous in the UK - Havana Club, the real Cuban rum for Mojito and Daiquiri cocktails

But I guess the tasting and discovering is half the fun!
Old 29-01-2009, 21:29   #13

Hey, I'm game to try any of them. But I guess the only way I'll get to sample any cuban rum is when i stumble across it somewhere other than cuba because as mentioned earlier, us USers can't go there! I am fairly certain that we cannot bring any cuban goods back to the US either.
Old 30-01-2009, 00:35   #14

Boat: Hylas 47
Cuban rum

I read somewhere that it's illegal for an American to purchase any product of Cuba, whether you buy it there or not. (Said the American with a Habana Punch petit coronation clenched in his teeth). My idea for world cruising inludes a watermaker that some dubious individuals of questionable heritage might consider using for more nefarious purposes. (such as making their own rum) When you think of safety, a water distillation system is much more reliable than a filter. And if it's possible to use it for other products, well, anything can be misused, right? Check out Distillation Column from Brewhaus America Inc.
john540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 00:43   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
Jaz,

Cuban rum is one of the best. I was there a few years ago at Marina Hemingway near Havana. I' never saw it in large quantities like barrels but the store at the marina sells it very cheap. It was about $5 per litre.

You might want to buy some of those collapsible wine bags, the kind that box wine comes in, and then buy a case of wine at the marina store and put them in the bags. Makes it easy to store. Of course you may run into problems at other countries with such large quantities.

Don't worry about crossing to Cuba from the USA. The World Police (USCG) may stop you but if you're not a US citizen it won't be a problem.

The locals drink the rum straight which I can't stand but with coke its great "Cuba Libre'. BTW having a bottle when you checkin and offering the officials will make your entry very friendly.

Tags
rum