Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Cooking and Provisioning: Food & Drink
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 17:45   #46

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Quick - I need 10 Quick Easy ... and Meatless ... Recipes !

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamif27 View Post
Yeah, thanks for sharing that. Guess what... there are some really, truly, bowed-up fine extremely muscular in shape beautiful men in India, all coming from that ancient vegetarian lifestyle.

take it somewhere else, k?
I can recall some photograps of myself amongst the crowds in Madrass, India, a vegatarian state back in late 70's towering over the men in the streets and i am only 6ft 1 1/2 inch tall. average population was stunted by diet. I think the experience also in China with people accessing more protein (meat) is a taller population.

Just an observation no data to back up.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 17:58   #47

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
I can recall some photograps of myself amongst the crowds in Madrass, India, a vegatarian state back in late 70's towering over the men in the streets and i am only 6ft 1 1/2 inch tall. average population was stunted by diet. I think the experience also in China with people accessing more protein (meat) is a taller population.

Just an observation no data to back up.
No data means it's an assumption or opinion, not fact. The traditionally meat/dairy heavy Western diet brings with it a PROVEN higher mortality rate from cardiovascular disease, stroke, and cancer.
Search the Internet for "The China Study" or "heart-healthy diet" for a start. It won't be meat or dairy or processed foods.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 18:12   #48

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
No data means it's an assumption or opinion, not fact. The traditionally meat/dairy heavy Western diet brings with it a PROVEN higher mortality rate from cardiovascular disease, stroke, and cancer.
Search the Internet for "The China Study" or "heart-healthy diet" for a start. It won't be meat or dairy or processed foods.
Don't doubt the cardio situation if meats are not managed in a balanced diet but also have no doubt that the total veg diet was impaction on the populations stature in India at the time.

With more info on diet thesedays I am sure veg can be safely managed. Certainly raising children great care would need to be taken to ensure children reach their full potential.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 19:56   #49

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

I love how this thread became a debate about the relative merits of veggie diets, and there are no recipes to be found on page four. Typical.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 20:29   #50

So many recipe sites on the internet, and so many cookbooks. Seems to me the OP should have found not 10 but 20 in less than an hour of searching.

Someone else already posted this Allrecipes.com - recipes, menus, meal ideas, food, and cooking tips.

Here's a discussion group on the topic Dr. McDougall's Online Discussion Board • View forum - Food & Recipes
Old 12-03-2012, 05:27   #51

FYI - There is growing evidence of a link between Cow milk consumption and onset of Type 1 diabetes in young children. Many doctors are recommending to keep children under age 2 off cow milk.

See following link:
Link Between Type 1 Diabetes and Cow Milk
See comments from Dr. Ben Kim and accompanying links below the initial reference.

"Though there are likely several potential contributing causes of diabetes type 1, it's hard to ignore the strong connection between cow's milk consumption and risk of insulin-dependent diabetes in children.
The evidence in relevant studies suggests that some component of cow's milk in its pasteurized and homogenized form is capable of triggering an autoimmune-type reaction in children who may be genetically predisposed to developing diabetes type 1.
Researchers have not been able to pinpoint what this component is - some suggest that it's bovine serum albumin, while others feel that it could be bovine insulin.
For a look at peer-reviewed scientific studies that highlight the link between cow's milk consumption and incidence of diabetes type 1 in children, have a look at the following summaries: "........

There is more but click the link above if you have an interest in this.
Old 16-03-2012, 13:42   #52

Boat: Albin Vega 27
Stuffed peppers

2 cups cooked rice
2 cups of meat alternative (tofu, meatless meat, black beans, I like Canned black beans best)

Mix together in a big bowl

Cut tops off of peppers ( I like the red ones, but whatever you have) take the seeds and ribs out.

Stuff pepper with rice mixture. Cover with pepper top and condensed tomato soup. Cook for 15 min in pressure cooker.

Can make 4-6 at a time!
Inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipes